Showing 94 results

Authority record
Secondary Agency

Saskatchewan. Division of Mental Services

  • GA 67
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1947-1950

In 1947, the Office of the Commissioner of Mental Services was reorganized into the Division of Mental Services in the Department of Public Health. The Division's mandate was administering psychiatric hospitals, training schools, short term treatment units in general hospitals and community psychiatric services, including mental health clinics. The Division was headed by a commissioner in Regina.

In 1947, the division was responsible for two psychiatric hospitals (North Battleford and Weyburn), the Saskatchewan Training School (Weyburn), one psychiatric ward (Regina General Hospital), and mental health clinics in Regina, Weyburn, Moose Jaw and North Battleford.

In September 1947, the division began administering the newly-established 500 hour, three year psychiatric nursing training program. In 1949, the division employed five teacher-psychologists to provide mental health consultative services to schools across the province. The teacher-psychologists assisted teachers individually and in groups in dealing with individual children and special situations.

On April 1, 1950 the Division of Mental Services was reorganized into the Psychiatric Services Branch.

Saskatchewan. Estevan Brick Ltd., 1965-1969

  • GA 6
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1965-1969

In 1965, the Saskatchewan government created a limited liability company, Estevan Brick Ltd., out of their clay products division of the Crown corporation Saskatchewan Minerals. The primary shareholder of this new company was the Saskatchewan government, but a private company, Industrial Management Ltd., was retained to manage the daily operations of the plant. The company operated in this manner until 1969, when the Saskatchewan government sold Estevan Brick Ltd. to Peben Contractors Ltd., a privately-owned company. The company produced face brick, building tile, terra-cotta, quarry floor tiles and pottery (wine jugs).

Saskatchewan. Executive Council. Information Services Branch

  • GA 111
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1965-1987

The Information Services Branch of Executive Council was established around 1965. The branch office was located in the Legislative Building in Regina. Headed by a director, the branch's original functions included advertising; preparing and distributing news releases and assisting other government departments, agencies, and crown corporations in preparing news releases; providing photographic and art services; and providing audio-visual services.

Around 1974, responsibility for the Provincial Inquiry Centre was transferred to the Information Services Branch. The centre provided information and referrals to the public regarding all provincial government departments and agencies. The service was provided through toll-free telephone service to all Saskatchewan residents. The branch also assumed responsible for TWX teletypewriter communications. Around 1977, the branch was assigned responsibility for the government's visual identity program, which established standards and guidelines for presenting a high quality and consistent visual portrayal of the provincial government and it's programs and institutions. The stylized wheat sheaf became the basic symbol of the province's visual identity program.

In 1982, Photographic Art Services was transferred to the Department of Revenue, Supply and Services while the Provincial Inquiry Centre was transferred to the Provincial Secretary. By 1985, the branch's functions had been pared down to providing information and news release services only. In 1987, the branch was reorganized into the Information Services Division of the newly created Public Affairs Branch of Executive Council.

Saskatchewan. Lands Branch

  • GA 37
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1931-

From 1930 to 1947 the Lands Branch, and grant and lease functions, were part of the Department of Natural Resources (later the Department of Natural Resources and Industrial Development.) The initial legislation (The Provincial Lands Act, 1931 and The Land Utilization Act, 1935) and the legacy of the Federal Department of the Interior, which previously held jurisdiction over these responsibilities, provided the framework for Crown Land lease and sale accounting and administration. While the Lands Branch was part of the Department of Natural Resources, the Provincial Lands Division and then (in 1932) the Lands Patent Division carried out the grants and transfer of land. This included handling enquiries, application forms, payments, agreements and recording the disposition of land.

In 1948, control of the Lands Branch was transferred to the Department of Agriculture, which subsequently changed the responsibility for many of the functions from the Land Utilization Division to the Inspection Services Division. During the 1960s, The Agriculture Rehabilitation and Development Act resulted in many of the grants and leases only being permitted for projects related to the development and conservation of water supplies, soil improvement, and /or agricultural efficiency.

In 1975, the Lands Disposition and Records Division of the Lands Branch became responsible for land grants and transfers - by advertising land for lease/sale, by preparing land transfers, and by maintaining the records of lands. In 1984-1985, a reorganization of the Lands Branch saw many of these functions split between the Field Operations and Support Services divisions.

The transfer of the Lands Branch back to the Department of Agriculture and Food in 1993 resulted in another reorganization, splitting the control of leases and sales amongst geographically oriented divisions (i.e. northwest, south). In 1993-1994 the Branch operated under the Financial Support and Program Management Division as part of the Lands and Regulatory Management Branch. This Branch had a broader mandate, including livestock health and operations. With the abolishment of the Crow's Nest Pass annual railways subsidy in February 1995, Lands Branch assumed responsibility for management of the provincial share of the federal payout and amended rental rates on Crown agricultural leases.

In 1996, the splitting of the Lands and Regulatory Management Branch into three branches (Livestock and Veterinary Operations, Pasture, and Lands) resulted in Lands Branch becoming part of the Program and Services Division, where it remained until April 2005. This change marked the first time that the Lands Branch did not hold responsibility for the administration of provincial pastures and the Community Pastures Program. The responsibility was returned to the Branch in 2001 with the amalgamation of Pastures and Lands Branches.

In 2000, the stated mandate of Lands Branch was "to promote the sustainable and integrated use of Crown land while providing opportunities for diversification and economic growth." Between April 2002 and May 2004 the Department operated as the Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Revitalization. Currently (2011) Lands Branch resides in the Ministry of Agriculture. While the Branch has experienced changes in its structure and in policy and program development, the basic function regarding the administration, sale and lease of Crown lands has not substantially altered throughout its history.

Saskatchewan. Legislative Assembly Office

  • GA 44
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1905-

The duties of the Legislative Assembly Office are to provide administrative support to the Saskatchewan Legislative Assembly. The Clerk of the Legislative Assembly has overall responsibility for the central services provided by the Legislative Assembly Office. The Clerk is, in turn, responsible to the Speaker for efficient and effective administration of the Assembly support services.

The Legislative Assembly and Executive Council Act, (S.S. 1979, L-11.1 Part II.1, Section 68.2) currently defines the Legislative Assembly Office as follows: "The Legislative Assembly Office is continued and consists of the Speaker, the Deputy Speaker, the Clerk, the Deputy Clerk, the Sergeant at Arms and any other employees that may be required for the proper conduct of the business of the Legislative Assembly Office."

The following are Legislative Assembly Services:

Office of the Clerk - The Clerk for the Legislative Assembly is responsible for coordinating the procedural, administrative, financial and support services required by the MLA's, the House and the Committees. For administrative purposes, the Clerk reports to the Speaker and the Board of Internal Economy. The Board is an all-party commission chaired by the Speaker which exercises financial authority for the Legislative branch.

Broadcast Services - Responsible for producing a live television presentation of all proceedings in the Assembly that are broadcast throughout the province.

Financial Services - Ensures that all financial activities within the Legislative Assembly are conducted in accordance with the policies and procedures established by the Board of Internal Economy and the Department of Finance.

Visitor Services - Provides visitors and tourists with tours of the Legislative Building, as well as information on the Building and other attractions of Regina and Saskatchewan.
Hansard is a written record of everything said in the House. Members' speeches are recorded and then transcribed for publication.

Information Systems - Provides computer and technology related services and support primarily to staff of the Legislative Assembly and Caucus offices.

Journals Branch - Responsible for the preparation of the permanent official record of the proceedings of the Legislative Assembly and the daily Order Paper.

Legislative Council and Law Clerk - Provide legal advice to members and is involved in the drafting of Private Members' Bills and amendments to other Bills.

Legislative Library - Provides information services and background research to meet the needs of Members and their staffs. Limited access to library resources and services is available to private citizens.

Office of the Sergeant-at-Arms - Responsible for the enforcement of security within the Legislative Building, including access, alarm systems, security officers and a Corps of Commissionaires.

Personnel and Administrative Services - Responsible for the administration of all personnel policies and procedures as well as general administration in such areas as equipment, surveys, research, etc. as required by the Clerk.

The Office of the Clerk and staff of the Legislative Assembly had been in place during the Territorial period. Previously a council, the Legislative Assembly came into existence in 1888. Samuel Spencer Page had served as Clerk of the Territorial Legislative Assembly from March 14, 1901 to August 31, 1905 and continued as Clerk of the provincial Assembly from February 14, 1906 until October 10, 1916.

The gap in Page's tenure suggests a Clerk was not named for the first six months of provincial status. However, staff carrying out support duties to the Territorial Assembly likely continued as support for the provincial assembly until the clerk was named. As the Legislative Assembly Office was not created by the Saskatchewan Act, formal creation of the Office could not have taken place until the opening of the first Legislature on March 29, 1906.

The first mention of "offices of the Legislative Assembly" and associated staff occurs in "The Public Service Act" assented to May 26, 1906. As a result of the lack of a definitive enabling agent, this act has been chosen as the first reference to the Legislative Assembly Office as a legal entity.

Saskatchewan. Ministry of Social Services. Child and Family Services Division

  • GA 162
  • Secondary Agency
  • 2007-

The Child and Family Services Division of the Ministry of Social Services was established on November 21, 2007. It is responsible for the administration of legislation including: The Child and Family Services Act; The Adoption Act, 1998; The Child Care Act; and The Emergency Protection for Victims of Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Act. The division reports to one of the ministry's Assistant Deputy Ministers. Its programs and services provide targeted support for at-risk children, youth and families. Program areas include: child protection and family support services; foster care provided by families throughout the province; adoption and the provision of post-adoption information; teen and young parent welfare; and family violence intervention and counselling. The division also collaborates with child and family services agencies from eighteen First Nations on the provision of child welfare services to families living on reserve.

The Child and Family Services Division was organized into three branches in 2009: Program and Service Design; Child and Family Service Delivery; and Child and Family Community Services. Responsibilities of the division continue (2014) within the ministry.

Saskatchewan. Office of the Commissioner of Mental Services

  • GA 66
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1930-1947

In 1929, the Government of Saskatchewan appointed a special commission to study the province's psychiatric services and make recommendations for improvements. In December, 1930 the government acted on the commission's recommendations by establishing the Office of the Commissioner of Mental Services to oversee all psychiatric services in Saskatchewan. The first commissioner appointed was Dr. J.W. MacNeill, who held the position until 1945. Subsequent commissioners included Dr. R.O. Davison (1945-1946) and Dr. D.G. McKerracher (1946-1947).

The Commissioner of Mental Services advised the Minister of Public Health on mental health issues and oversaw the psychiatric hospitals at North Battleford and Weyburn; the Saskatchewan Training School in Weyburn and the psychiatric ward at the Regina General Hospital. The Commissioner frequently lectured on mental health issues and advocated developments in psychiatric programs and services.

In 1945, amendments to the Mental Hygiene Act transferred greater authority regarding the admission and removal of patients in institutions from the Deputy Minister of Public Health to the Commissioner of Mental Services. In 1947, the office was reorganized into the Division of Mental Services in the Department of Public Health.

Saskatchewan. Office of the General Manager of Saskatchewan Power Corporation

  • GA 105
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1949-1980

The general manager of Saskatchewan Power Corporation (SPC) was the chief executive officer of the corporation. Divisions and departments of the corporation reported to the general manager, who in turn reported to the board of directors.

A.L. (Albert) Cole served as acting general manager between late-1948 and early-1949 in the period of conversion of Saskatchewan Power Commission to Saskatchewan Power Corporation. J. W. (John) Tomlinson was appointed the first general manager of SPC in 1949. Tomlinson served as general manager until his resignation on November 30, 1954. Upon Tomlinson's resignation, chief engineer W.B. Clipsham served as acting general manager until September 1955, when David Cass-Beggs was appointed general manager. Cass-Beggs had worked for SPC as a special consultant since 1947. He served as general manager until mid-1964. Once again, W.B. Clipsham was appointed acting general manager until the appointment of D.B. (David) Furlong in March 1965.

Furlong held the position of general manager until his resignation in May 1970. R.R. (Richard) Keith was first appointed acting general manager upon Furlong's departure, and was later appointed general manager. He served as such until the appointment of F.G. (Fred) Ursel on March 1, 1976.

A major corporate reorganization in 1980 converted the general manager position into that of president. Ursel remained with SPC as president until 1981.

Saskatchewan. Parks and Conservation Branch

  • GA 108
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1960-1964

During the 1960/61 fiscal year, the Conservation Branch of the Department of Natural Resources was reorganized into the Parks and Conservation Branch to accommodate the parks functions formerly performed by the Parks Branch of the Department of Travel and Information. Headed by a director who reported to the assistant deputy minister, the branch originally consisted of three divisions: the Park Planning Division; the Conservation Information Service; and the Saskatchewan Museum of Natural History.

The Park Planning Division was responsible for the planning of provincial parks, historic sites, Trans-Canada Highway camp and picnic sites, provincial highway campgrounds and rest sites. The division also acquired land for park development, maintained records of the disposition of land belonging to the department and administered the regional parks assistance program.

The Conservation Information Service was responsible for providing information and education services to departmental staff and the general public. The Service produced press releases, magazine articles and radio and television programs; maintained collections of photographs, slides, and moving images; erected exhibits; prepared and distributed publications; and answered requests for information.

The Museum of Natural History in Regina worked to generate interest in Saskatchewan's natural history. The museum conducted field work; operated exhibits, hosted guided tours and educational programs for children and disseminated information through publications, news releases, and radio and television programs.

The Regional Parks Division was added to the branch during the 1963/64 fiscal year to provide facility and layout design assistance.

On April 1, 1964, the Parks and Conservation Branch was restructured as part of a larger reorganization whereby the functions of the department were reorganized into three major sectors - Resource Programs, Recreational Programs and Northern Programs. The parks functions were transferred to several newly-created branches in the Resource Programs Sector while the Conservation Information Service became an independent branch outside of the major sectors called the Conservation Information Branch.

Saskatchewan. Photographic Services Branch

  • GA 121
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1954-1996

In the early 1950s, numerous departments and agencies of the Government of Saskatchewan were producing various types of photography, including still photography, filmstrips and motion pictures, for educational and/or publicity purposes. In 1954, the Photographic Services Branch was established to centralize the photographic activities of all departments and agencies.

In the mid 1950s and 1960s, Photographic Services produced photography, maintained a library. early 1950s prepare and procure motion pictures for educational purposes. produced many filmstrips for Department of Education School Broadcasts.

ca. 1957 to 1964 functions included still photography, motion pictures, laboratory and maintaining library produced black and white prints to documentary full colour sound motion pictures Prior to Thatcher taking power, fairly large still photographic unit in Industry and Info. also motion picture department and graphic art department. Each section had a director who reported directly to DM of Industry and iNfo. prior to I and I, a still photography unit existed in some form as far back as 1905.

ca 1964 to 1982 photographic and art services maintained library; staff photographers; laboratory services; photographic services equals still photography and processing of still photography ; storage of and accesss to still photographs for current use and archival purposes ; art services equals preparation of art work to a camera ready or presentation stage; component of both printing and advertising activities. 1981 provided outside organizations with copies but did not take photos for outside organizations 1981 had three staff photographers and arrangement with commercial and freelance photographers in province to cover assignments - film they shot in sent unprocessed and becomes property of Government of Saskatchewan 1981 no longer provided commercial art services - can produce sound-slide programs; tenders out motion picture films for departments from private sector. Around July 1981 change from Photographic/Arts Division to Photographic Services - change from supervisor to manager - did not acquire releases from subjects in photographs so users asked to use discretion when publishing photos commercial art service to government departments offered until 1975. Photographic/Art Division started in 1969 with 2 photographers, 1 darkroom technician, 1 librarian, 1 secretary and 3 commercial arts. offered good, fast, economical service but in 1980s lack of funds, staff, departments drifting back to doing own work. 1980s: helped departments with design and construction of displays, produce printed material. 1980: process films and prints, purchase motion picture productions and titles from private sector Art services included design, typesetting, paste-up, artwork for publications, brochures, displays, etc.

1982 to 2006 maintained central library available to all government departments; used staff and private sector photographers and laboratories.departments were able to contract their photographic requirements directly to private sector ; provided framed photographs for government offices; photographed school groups with MLAs at Legislature ; provided photographic coverage of events, functions , official portraits; maintained extensive photo library available to all government departments 1994. ca more than 200,000 images 1988: agency commissioned to coordinate and provide extensive photographic coverage of premiers' conference, including official group portrait. designed and produced special albums after event as gifts

In July 2006, photographic services eliminated

1964-1969 no central still photography unit existed. Closed down by Thatcher when he took power. Motion picture unit remained, which produced slide programs and filmstrips as well. 1969 motion picture section closed down. secretary, photo librarian, darkroom technician and one more remaining. three man art unit that had been added in 1965 remained. 1964-1969 gap in government's photographic record as photographs taken by commercial photographers or government departments - but negs not acquired by PS

Results 61 to 70 of 94