Showing 6928 resultsAuthority record
- LGA 61
- Local Government
The Town of Wolseley is an urban municipality in southeast Saskatchewan incorporated on October 20, 1898 according to the provisions of Ordinance No. 43 of 1898. The first municipal election was held on November 8, 1898. Located 100 kilometres east of Regina on the Trans-Canada Highway, Wolseley was named after Garnet Joseph Wolseley, a Canadian general involved in the Riel Rebellion. The town is located in the Rural Municipality of Wolseley No. 155.
The town is governed by a council consisting of a mayor and at least two councillors, each elected for a three year term. The goals of the council are to provide good government; provide necessary services and facilities for all or part of the municipality; develop and maintain a safe and viable community; and foster economic, social and environmental well-being. The council holds jurisdiction over police and fire protection; water and sewer utilities; parks and recreation; and waste management.
The council makes decisions and exercises its power through the passage of resolutions and by-laws. By-laws enforced by the council include those relating to building; wild and domestic animals; nuisances; transport and transportation systems; streets and roads; businesses and business activities; signs and zoning. Council is also responsible for the collection of revenues; issuing tax and assessment notices; administration of the operating and capital budgets and preparation of annual financial statements.
The Town of Wolseley is currently (2009) administered by a mayor; six councillors; an administrator and an assistant administrator. The administrator (previously known as the town clerk) oversees the day to day operations of the town; advises on policy and ensures council policies are carried out. Council meets every first and third Monday of each month. Current subcommittees of council include Protective Services (Police); Protective Services (Fire); Environmental Health; Finance and Government services; Recreation and Culture; Public Works and Water Utility; and Strategic Development.
- LGA 55
- Local Government
Wolseley Consolidated School District No. 25 of Saskatchewan was established in 1963 pursuant to the Schools Act to administer schools around the Wolseley area. The borders of the original Wolseley School District No. 25 were expanded to make it large enough to become an independent school district.
The Board of the Wolseley Consolidated School District No. 25 was responsible for administering and managing the school district and for generally supervising and controlling each of its schools. From 1974-1993 it also functioned as part of the Qu'Appelle Valley Superintendency No.27. The Board provided buildings, equipment and supplies; hired qualified teachers; paid teachers their monthly salaries; and dealt with attendance, transportation and disciplinary issues. The Board was assisted by a secretary-treasurer, who managed the finances. The Superintendent of Schools for the School District, appointed by the Minister of Education, was responsible for the general supervision of the schools and conferred with teachers and the Board on various issues.
In 1978, the School Act was replaced by the Education Act (SS 1978 ch. 17). Wolseley Consolidated School District No. 25 became Wolseley School Division No. 25 effective January 1, 1979.
- LGA 56
- Local Government
The Wolseley Consolidated School District No. 25 of Saskatchewan became the Wolseley School Division No. 25 of Saskatchewan effective January 1, 1979, pursuant to the Education Act (S.S. 1978, c.17). The Division was based around Wolseley, Saskatchewan. The Board of the school division was responsible for administering the public elementary and secondary schools within its borders. The five member Board was elected through public vote. Funding to administer and operate the schools in the Division was provided through provincial grants and locally-generated revenue. The Division was located within the Qu'Appelle Valley Superintendency No. 27.
The responsibilities of the Board were the same as those assigned to the separate and francophone school boards in the province. The Board's duties and powers included administering and managing the educational affairs of the school division; exercising general supervision and control over the schools in the division; approving administrative procedures pertaining to the internal organization, management and supervision of the schools; providing and maintaining school accommodation, equipment and facilities; and appointing and employing qualified teachers, principals and other necessary staff.
In the fall of 1992, the Department of Education created the Scenic Valley School Division. Wolseley School Division No. 25 became part of Scenic Valley School Division No. 117 effective January 1, 1993.