Showing 7499 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving

Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office

  • GA 42
  • Primary Agency
  • 1944-1980

The first government-run insurance programs in Saskatchewan were public hail insurance programs created in 1901 and 1912; however these were limited to crop insurance.

Economic conditions in the 1930's and early 1940's had resulted in the failure of many small local insurers. Almost 80% of fire insurance premiums issued between 1934 and 1944 were underwritten by British or other non-Canadian firms. The twenty-two percent of companies that were Canadian were not in Saskatchewan but located primarily in Ontario and Quebec. During the same period, less than half of the premiums paid in by customers were returning in the form of claims paid out. Little of those premiums were remaining in the province either in the form of claims paid or as profit for local business.

In 1944, the only other general government insurance program in Canada was a dormant system in Alberta.

The Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office (SGIO) was established by The Government of Saskatchewan Insurance Act, assented to on November 10, 1944. In January 1945, Oakland W. Valleau, Minister of Social Welfare, was appointed Minister-in-Charge of SGIO.

There were three main reasons for its creation: to retain revenue from insurance premiums within the province; to create new revenue sources in order to provide additional social services to residents; to reduce insurance rates for Saskatchewan residents.

The Insurance Act allowed for the sale by SGIO of policies covering fire, life, automobile and twelve other forms of insurance. Although the act allowed for the sale of life insurance, it was not sold by SGIO.

The office was established in March 10, 1945 and Michael Francis Allure was chosen as the first general manager. He was provided with a staff of 3, a 10 x 12 foot room at the Legislature and a $12,000 loan to start.(1) Allure sold the first policy to Valleau on May 1, 1945. The General Manager served as the Chief Executive Officer of the company.

The company continued to operate out of the Legislative Building until early in 1946 when it moved into the old Canada Life Assurance building on Cornwall Street and 11th Avenue in Regina. It had grown from a staff of four to sixty employees at head office with more than 150 brokers across the province. The SGIO annual report for 1946-1947 states that finding and training sufficient staff was a major challenge due to this rapid expansion.

Although the head office was located in Regina, a policy of decentralization resulted in the opening of branch offices in Prince Albert and Saskatoon in 1946. By December 31, 1947, 110 people were employed at the Head and Branch offices. A branch in North Battleford opened in 1948 followed by branches in Yorkton, Estevan and Swift Current in 1949 and Moose Jaw in 1950. In the 1970's claims branches were also created in Lloydminster, Meadow Lake, Tisdale, Weyburn and Kindersley.

The first SGIO agency was opened in Maple Creek on May 17, 1945. It was started by Oscar Sawby whose only experience at the time consisted of operating a general store. Fifty years later, his family was still operating Blythman Agencies Ltd.

By the end of the first year of business, SGIO had paid back the $12,000 startup loan and showed a surplus of $6388 while providing insurance rates ten percent lower than the competition.

As World War II was coming to a close, the number of motorists and vehicles in Saskatchewan grew at a rapid rate but less than 10% had any form of insurance, leaving accident victims and their families without any form of compensation. This resulted in the creation of The Automobile Accident Insurance Act, 1946. By combining vehicle registration and insurance, the provincial government ensured that all drivers had basic coverage.

In 1949, the Saskatchewan government purchased a 75% share in a joint stock company in the hopes of expanding the business of the SGIO over a larger area to provide a more stable income. The Saskatchewan Guarantee and Fidelity Company Limited (SGFCL) applied to practice insurance in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia but was denied on the basis that a company owned by one provincial government should not do business in territory of another. Reinsurance agreements with companies in other countries allowed the SGFCL to reduce its financial risk. It was administered by SGIO but as a joint stock company its status as a Crown corporation is historically questionable.

By 1950 SGIO had 215 employees and 675 agents. By 1952, it held about 25% of the general insurance business in the province.

The change in government in resulting from the 1964 election posed a threat to the continuation of SGIO and other Crown corporations. Ross Thatcher expressed a philosophy of encouraging the industrial development of Saskatchewan by private enterprise. SGIO survived but some of its monopoly advantages were removed.

SGFCL was not so lucky. Seen as surviving on monopoly advantages and contracts from SGIO and losing money as well, it was put up for sale. On July 31, 1965, rather than being sold, it was absorbed by SGIO.

Throughout the late 1960's the Liberal government was accused by the opposition of planning to sell SGIO which it denied. In fact, a firm offer to buy the company was received in 1969 but was rejected by the government.

The 1970's marked a return to CCF (now NDP) government. SGIO was handling almost all of the insurance sales in Saskatchewan, partially due to lower pricing and because most of the competition had quit the field. It was a regular practice for insurance companies to have one rate for Alberta and Manitoba and a lower rate for Saskatchewan. Many decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

In 1979, SGIO was re-branded SGI - Saskatchewan Government Insurance but remained SGIO as a legal entity.

Various departments and divisions existed within the Office over its history(2) including as follows:

The Statistical Department existed in 1946. It continued to appear on a 1950 organizational chart but was apparently absorbed by the Accounting Department sometime between 1951 and 1953.

The Claims Department existed in 1946. By August 18, 1948 it had been divided into Claims - General; Claims - Accident; Claims - Collision.

The Accounting Department existed in 1946.

The Agency Department first appeared on October 18, 1946 and continued to show on an August 18, 1948 organizational chart.

The Fire Department existed in 1946. On September 1, 1947, the Fire Department was divided into two departments: Fire Department - Agency and Fire Department - Direct.

On December 1, 1947, the Inspection Department was established to inspect various types of risks and supply data to the Underwriting Department.

The Salvage Division was established in 1947 to provide a sales outlet for used automotive parts salvaged from vehicles which were damaged beyond repair in accidents. Salvage allowed SGIO to recover a portion of losses incurred in auto claims. The Divisional head office was originally located in North Battleford and opened on July 10, 1947. Additional depots were later established in Regina (1961), Saskatoon (1966), Yorkton (1969), and Moose Jaw (1971). The Divisional office was re-located to Saskatoon in September 1966.

The Reinsurance Department was set up in 1950. It was responsible for placement, negotiating and handling Fire and Inland Marine reinsurance as required.

The Personnel Department was formed in 1956.

A Promotion and Advertising Department was created in 1957.

The Multi-Peril Department was established in 1957 to provide all general insurance needs in one package. In 1961 the department was assimilated into various sections of the Fire Underwriting Department.

The Loss Prevention Department was established in 1973. It was previously part of the Property Department.

An Internal Audit department was created in 1976.

The Motor Vehicle Division was established on April 1, 1977, when the driver license and motor vehicle registration delivery system formerly administered by the Department of Finance was transferred to the SGIO.

The Customer Relations Department was established in 1977 to handle consumer complaints and inquiries. It seems to have taken over responsibilities and functions of Public Relations.

The Automobile Experimental Centre was set up in Regina in 1974 to monitor and conduct research into cost-effective automotive repair techniques, train SGIO auto adjusters, assist auto body shops with the application of new repair techniques, and supply data on repair costs and vehicle design.

The Saskatchewan Government Insurance Act, 1980 (C. S-19.1) assented to on April 29, 1980 officially dropped "Office" from the legal title of the company and creating SGI.

At that time, SGI's organizational structure consisted of: Minister in Charge / Chair of Board of Directors; Office of the General Manager / President; Administration Division (Policy services; Administration and Coordination; Administration services); Claims Division; Salvage Operations; Corporate Relations Division; Marketing Division; Systems Planning and Research; Systems Development Motor Vehicle Division; Finance; Legal; Motor Licensing Division; Special Accounts Department; Underwriting (Casualty; Commercial Property; Loss Prevention; Personal and Farm Property).

Footnotes:

1)One source lists the staff as four, but this may have included Allure.

2) Tracking the organizational structure of SGIO is difficult because annual reports consisted primarily of financial information and seldom documented these changes or contained organizational charts.

Vallar School District No. 1020, 1904-1953

  • LGA 13
  • Local Government
  • 1904-1953

On August 10, 1903 ratepayers in the Gerald area (25-19-32-W1) petitioned the Department of Education of the North-West Territories for the establishment of a school district. When the petition was denied, the ratepayers reduced the boundaries of the proposed district and filed another petition on April 7, 1904. Departmental approval was granted and the first organizational meeting was held on April 21, 1904. Nine ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district; 3 were against it. Valdimar Gislason, Gunnar Johannsson and Albert Paulson were elected trustees.

Vallar School District No. 1020 was established on May 9, 1904. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

Vallar means field or flat piece of ground in Icelandic, the origin of many of the first settlers in the Gerald area. The one room school, located at NW-21-19-32-W1, was built c.1904. In 1905, Vallar School District came under the jurisdiction of the Department of Education of the new province of Saskatchewan. The boundaries of the district were altered in 1923 and 1931. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Vallar School District became part of the Moosomin School Unit No. 9 on July 22, 1953. The school closed in 1957 and the students were conveyed to another district.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Social Services. Social Services Division

  • GA 128
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1972-1978

Originally established in 1972 as the Regional Services Division, the Social Services Division of the Department of Social Services was responsible for the delivery of a variety of programs under authority of the following acts: The Family Services Act, 1973; The Saskatchewan Assistance Act and Regulations; The Children of Unmarried Parents Act, 1973; The Rehabilitation Act; and the federal Juvenile Delinquents Act. Programs and services of the division were delivered through a decentralized network of regional offices throughout the province.

Programs administered by the division centered on child care and welfare, employment readiness, and income support.

Child protection services addressed reports of child abuse or neglect in homes. To aid in the delivery of service, a Child Protection Registry was established in 1977. Foster care was provided in situations of temporary or permanent removal of children from their families. The Special Foster Care Program offered care for children unable to benefit from traditional or institutional placements. Adoption services provided counselling and facilitated planning for the placement of children relinquished for adoption. Adoptions were administered through ward and non-ward agreements, and through programs such as the Aim Centre and REACH (Resources for the Adoption of Children) which found placements in homes for children with special needs. Services to unmarried mothers included financial assistance, health care, maternity home care, counselling and training. Cases of juvenile offenders were administered in accordance with the federal Juvenile Delinquents Act. Institutional care for troubled youth was provided at four child care facilities (Saskatchewan Boys' School/Centre, Roy Wilson Centre, Dales House and Kilburn Hall) and at various private institutions throughout the province.

Employment readiness was offered through initiatives such as the Work Activity Program, the Employment Support Program, the Summer Employment Project, the Winter Works Incentive Program, and Work Preparation Centres. These programs frequently operated in co-operation with other government departments. The aim of the programs was to provide skills training and employment opportunities for socially or economically disadvantaged citizens.

Income support was administered through the Saskatchewan Assistance Plan and other assistance programs to citizens with financial need or disability. In addition to income support, the Saskatchewan Assistance Plan offered welfare services such as counselling, rehabilitation and preventative services to clients in need. As well, Local Appeal Boards comprised of departmental staff and local citizens addressed grievances raised by clients about their applications for assistance.

The division also provided corrections services (1972 only), adult probation services (until 1976), and emergency welfare services.

The Social Services Division was renamed the Social Services Branch in 1976, and was in existence until a departmental re-organization in 1978. Responsibilities for child, youth and family services were transferred to the Family and Community Services Branch, employment programs were administered by the Employment Programs Branch, and income support programs became the responsibility of the Income Security Branch.

Forest School District No. 188, 1890-1963

  • LGA 20
  • Local Government
  • 1890-1963

Around 1890, ratepayers in the Lumsden district petitioned the Board of Education for the North-West Territories to establish a school district. The first organizational meeting was held on May 5, 1890 at the James G. Mutch residence. The ratepayers in attendance were in favour of the proposed district and John Balfour, Robert Kinnon and W.C. Hamilton were elected trustees.

The Forest Public School District No. 188 was established on May 16, 1890. John Balfour and James G. Mutch were appointed chairman and secretary-treasurer respectively. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

In June, 1890, Miss Maggie Hamilton began teaching 14 students in a local church. The board borrowed $400.00 to build a one room school, located on SE 10-19-22-W2, approximately eight miles southwest of Lumsden. The school opened on October 3, 1890 and originally operated only during certain months in the summer. The boundaries of the school district were altered on March 15, 1897 and December 10, 1904. In 1908, a new brick schoolhouse was built.

In 1949, the school closed and 10 students were conveyed to the Lumsden and Cottonwood school districts. The school reopened in August, 1950 but closed again in the fall of 1957 due to the small number of school age children in the area. On August 21, 1962, lands in the Forest School District were transferred to the Lumsden School District No. 449. The school reopened in August, 1962 and operated until June, 1964. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Forest School District joined the Regina School Unit No. 21 on November 20, 1963.

North-West Territories. Dept. of Agriculture. Deputy Commissioner's Office

  • GA 54
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1897-1905

On December 15, 1897, The Agriculture Department Ordinance (North-West Territories Ordinances, 1897, no. 18) received assent forming the Department of Agriculture.

On December 18, 1897, John Alexander Reid, Clerk of the Executive Council, was appointed Deputy Commissioner of Agriculture. James Hamilton Ross was Commissioner of Agriculture.

The government felt that work relating to the department could be handled by Reid in connection with his office as Clerk. In June 1898, six months later, the workload necessitated the temporary appointment of Charles Walter Peterson as a dedicated Deputy Commissioner and this position was confirmed on October 13, 1898. Peterson held the position until June 30, 1903. John Rothes Charles Honeyman took over as Deputy Commissioner on July 1, 1903 and held this post under the Territorial government until August 31, 1905 (provincial status for Saskatchewan and Alberta).

Following the creation of the provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta in 1905, responsibility devolved to the respective provincial jurisdictions. Honeyman continued to serve as Deputy Commissioner of Agriculture under the new Saskatchewan government until December 31, 1906.

Rose Family, 1888-

  • PA 310
  • Familie
  • 1888-

The Rose Family has resided in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, since 1913. The family owned and operated dry cleaning and furrier businesses, and members of the family have been actively involved in Saskatoon's Jewish community and in other community and service organizations in the city.

Arthur Rose, born Avraham Ben Emmanuel HaLevi Rosenthal, was born on August 27, 1888 in the town of Galati (Galatz), Roumania. His traditional Jewish family consisted of father Emmanuel (Menachem Manoli) HaLevi, mother Esther Raisa Solomon, and three younger siblings, Noah (Edwin S.), Rebecca and Moishe Aaron (Martin). After the death of his father at an early age, Arthur was sent to live with his paternal grandparents, Jacob and Elka Rosenthal, and put to work in a tannery at the age of nine. In 1903, at the age of 14, he left Roumania for the United Sates. At first, he lived in Duluth, Minnesota, with his younger brother Edwin and an uncle who had immigrated to America some years earlier. He changed his name to Arthur Rose.

He worked at various jobs and businesses until 1912, when he travelled through western Canada for the C.E. Zimmerman Co. of Chicago, selling advertising services to newspapers and storekeepers in cities and larger towns. In this period, he met Elsie Holzberg, an elementary school teacher. They married in Duluth on January 28, 1913, and moved to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada the following month. They chose to make their living in dry cleaning, a relatively new process at the time. They opened the family business, Arthur Rose Dry Cleaner De Luxe (later Arthur Rose Limited), in a suitable building at 624 20th Street West, on April 4, 1913. Arthur and Elsie had three children: Myrna Holzberg (born May 21, 1917); Zora Elka (born July 23, 1918), and Gerald Ferris (born October 26, 1920.)

The Roses became members of Congregation Agudas Israel upon their arrival in Saskatoon. Arthur joined the local B'Nai Brith Lodge (#739), as well as the Masonic Order (Lodge Progress) in 1916, and the Saskatoon Rotary Club in 1924. In 1929, he was one of the founders of the Young Men's Section of the Saskatoon Board of Trade, serving as its first President in 1929 and 1930. He was known as a lifelong great booster for the community of Saskatoon. In recognition of his contributions, he was designated the Honorary President of the Saskatoon Junior Chamber of Commerce (1963-1964).

He was an honoured member of the Jewish Community, serving on the arbitration committee of the B'Nai Brith in order to prevent disputes between Jewish people from going to court. He also worked with Saskatoon Chief of Police, George Donald, to quell racial and religious incidents. Arthur and his family continued to expand the family business over seven decades. Arthur and Elsie gradually retired from daily involvement in the business, but maintained a keen interest and gave advice to their son who handled operations, until their deaths, a few months apart, in 1972. Arthur Rose died on May 17, 1972.

Elsie Holzberg Rose was born on January 17, 1890, in Duluth, Minnesota, to Harris and Taube Holzberg. She married Arthur Rose on January 28, 1913, and the couple had three children. Elsie completed her high school education, as well as one year of teacher training, and began teaching at the elementary school level at the age of 17. After moving with Arthur to Saskatoon in 1913, Elsie worked in the family dry cleaning and furrier businesses - a role she continued until her retirement years. She was a founder of the Saskatoon Section of the National Council of Jewish Women, president of Hadassah-Wizo, Saskatoon Section, National Council of Jewish Women, a founder of the Saskatoon Home and School Association, and an honorary life member of the Saskatoon Council of Women. Elsie died on October 22, 1972.

Gerald (Gerry) Ferris Rose was born October 26, 1920, in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, to Arthur and Elsie Rose. He attended school at King Edward Public School, City Park Collegiate Institute, and the University of Saskatchewan (BSc. Chemistry, 1940). He served as a lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals from December 1941 to March 1945, including training in eastern Canada and active service overseas during the Second World War.

During his high school and university years, Gerry worked in the family business. However, after returning from active service, Gerry took on more significant roles and joined his parents in the management of the family business. During the war, there had been a number of changes in the dry cleaning industry, and a number of new fabrics and fabric treatments had also been developed. Gerry spent several months working in leading dry cleaning and laundry plants in Canada and the United States, learning new methods of production, management, personnel relations and accounting. He also helped his parents adapt their fur business to address post-war realities. Gerry served as President and Manager of the Arthur Rose Limited until the business was sold in 1982, and of Rose-Art Furs until the business was discontinued in 1985.

On August 25, 1946, Gerry married Gladys Ruth Sarlin, and the couple had four children: Kathryn Reva (born February 22, 1949), Toby Helen (born May 6, 1952), Naomi Judith (born November 26, 1954) and David Barry (born December 9, 1956.) Gerry Rose was an active volunteer in the community of Saskatoon, and was able to share the leadership skills and financial expertise - which he had developed while managing the family business -- with numerous organizations over the years. His work on management committees ensured the financial success of the Western Canada Summer Games (Vice President - Administration, 1979), the Jeux Canada Summer Games (Vice President - Administration,1989), and the Canadian Special Olympics 1992 Winter Games (Vice President - Administration, 1992 in Saskatoon.

He was a member of the Board of Directors at St. Paul's Hospital, where he made significant contributions in the areas of patient advocacy and health reform. He was a Master of Lodge Progress of the Masonic Order, and was a member of the Saskatoon Rotary Club from 1949. He was a member and chairman of the Saskatoon Airport Economic Development Board, and served as treasurer and director of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Saskatchewan. He was a founder of the Saskatoon Jewish Foundation, and an honoured member of B'nai Brith Lodge #739. After his death, the B'nai Brith lodge established an annual Gerry Rose Volunteer Award to recognize longtime service and dedication to the Saskatoon Jewish Community; the award was jointly bestowed on Gerry and Gladys in 2000. He was made a member of the Order of Canada in October, 1998. He died on March 25, 1999.

Gladys Ruth Rose was both Gladys Ruth Sarlin on November 2, 1926 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, to Harry and Marcia Sarlin. She attended Princess Alexandra Public School, Bedford Road Collegiate Institute, and the University of Saskatchewan (BA 1946; Post Graduate Diploma in Continuing Education, 1969.) She married Gerald Ferris Rose on August 25, 1946, and they had four children: Kathryn, Toby, Naomi and David. Gladys has been actively involved in Saskatoon community activities, as well as in local, provincial, and Canadian Jewish organizations. She was the first woman president of Congregation Agudas Israel. She was the Saskatchewan Representative to the Canadian Jewish Congress. She was president of Hadassah-Wizo, Saskatoon Section, National Council of Jewish Women.

She has been very involved in documenting the history of Jewish people in Saskatoon and Saskatchewan, including chairing an oral history project for the Congregation Agudas Israel (1984), working to preserve the archives of the congregation and the Saskatoon Jewish Community, and helping produce a drama “The Women,” (by Clare Booth Luce) in cooperation with the University of Saskatchewan Drama Department and the Saskatoon Section of the National Council of Jewish Women. She was the founding president of the Saskatchewan Community College Association and a founding board member of the Saskatoon Region Community College. In 1971-1972, she chaired the Mayor's Committee on Troubled Youth.

She was honoured with the City of Saskatoon Civic Committee on Status of Women, Outstanding Woman Award in 1975; the City of Saskatoon Medal for Good Citizenship in 1982; the Canadian Jewish Congress Sam N. Filer Award for Distinguished Service in 1992; and the B'Nai Brith Lodge #739 Gerry Rose Volunteer Award for service to the Saskatoon Jewish Community, 2000. Gladys moved from Saskatoon to Toronto, Ontario, in 2005, to be nearer to her children and grandchildren.

Family Business:
Arthur and Elsie Rose moved to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in February of 1913, and opened their first dry cleaning business - Arthur Rose Dry Cleaner De Luxe - at 624 20th Street East on April 4, 1913. Their first advertisement appeared the next day in the Saskatoon Star, using the company slogan which was used into the 1990s: If Rose Cleaned It - It's C-L-E-A-N.” As dry cleaning was a relatively new type of business, the Roses hired expert cleaner and presser, Abe Schwartz from Minneapolis, to help them set up shop.

In 1918, they bought a lot at 334 2nd Avenue North, and built a new and larger dry cleaning and dyeing plant, which opened in October 1919. The new plant had more room and more capacity than could be used by Saskatoon customers, so the Roses opened Arthur Rose (Regina) Limited in 1920. Customers' clothing came from Regina to Saskatoon by overnight train, was cleaned and pressed and returned to Regina the next night; touch-up pressing was done in Regina before final delivery to customers. On February 10, 1927, the family incorporated its business under the name Arthur Rose Limited, with Arthur, Elsie, and Arthur's brother, Martin Rose, all signing the memorandum of association.

Business volume in Saskatoon and Regina increased to the point where shipping clothes between the two cities was no longer economical. In 1928, the Roses built a new plant in Regina called Queen City Cleaners and Dyers Ltd., which was managed by Martin. Arthur Rose (Regina) Ltd. remained open as a business, but the work was done at the Queen City Cleaners plant. In 1947, Arthur Rose (Regina) Limited and Queen City Cleaners and Dyers Ltd. were sold to the Regina family of Sam Lexier, who had been the Roses' partner in the 1920 expansion.

After World War One, there was an increase in demand for cloth dyeing services. Arthur brought a master dyer, Jack Robertson, in from Perth, Scotland, to run that part of the business, which offered dyeing of drapes, curtains, rugs, carpets, clothing, and ladies' satin shoes.

Arthur Rose Ltd. also provided fur-related services, including the cleaning, repairing, remodeling and storage of fur garments. This type of work required skilled people, but more work was needed to be able to keep these craftspeople busy and employed throughout the years. Consequently, the Roses started making and marketing fur coats. The company's fur salesman travelled throughout Saskatchewan, selling fur through agents in almost every small town in the province. This was the beginning of Rose-Art Furs, a branch of the Rose's family business which continued until 1985.

From 1924 to 1942, Arthur Rose Limited employed local painter, Stanley Brunst, in the dry cleaning plant. Brunst had an arrangement with Arthur Rose whereby over the noon hour, he would close the door to the dry cleaning room and paint during his lunch break.

The effects of World War Two on the family business echoed the experience of businesses across the country. It was a time of shortages, there was a scarcity of machinery, it was hard to get supplies, and gasoline rationing meant transportation was difficult. It was hard to find reliable and efficient employees with so many men in the armed services. There was also a change in the type of dry cleaning required, in comparison to the late 1930s. With more women taking jobs outside the home, there was less time for housekeeping, and more women's clothes were brought in for dry cleaning. Recognizing another wartime need, the Roses set up a domestic laundry service and took government contracts to maintain army uniforms and supplies for the Dundurn Military Camp outside Saskatoon.

The post-war period brought about even more change. New fabrics developed during the war did not require professional dry cleaning or laundering as often as natural fabrics. The shirt laundering department, which had increased to about 10,000 shirts per week in the late 1940s, was less than half that in 1952-1953 due to the easy care of new polyester-cotton shirts.

The fur business also required some change in this period. Because transportation was easier and more rural people were coming into Saskatoon to shop, Arthur Rose's fur sales - which had formerly been handled entirely by a travelling salesman - now required the operation of a city-based business. In 1952, Arthur Rose Limited bought a competing fur business, Trute Furriers, and melded it into its organization. In 1958, the Roses purchased another competing business, Marvins (1958) Limited - a dry cleaner and retail furrier. The dry cleaning work was moved to the Arthur Rose plant, and Trute Furriers was moved from 2nd Avenue to Marvins' former location on 3rd Avenue. In 1959, the Roses set up a separate parent company to operate these fur businesses, called Consolidated Fur Enterprises Limited, Saskatoon.

In the 1960s, other small, self-contained dry cleaning plants began opening throughout the city, making it easier for customers to drop off and pick up their clothes themselves, rather than having them picked up and delivered by Arthur Rose Limited. The expanded Rose plant was not keeping busy enough, so the Roses began looking for innovative services to increase business, adding features such as drapery cleaning and a refinishing department. In the early 1970s, rental and cleaning of work clothing and floor mats for businesses was introduced, and gradually increased to the point where additional plant space was rented on Ontario Avenue. In 1971, Rose-Art Furs opened a retail store in the newly built Midtown Plaza in downtown Saskatoon.

In 1982, three long time employees of Arthur Rose Dry Cleaning Division - Don Sanderson, Stan Sukkau and Doug Butcher - purchased the dry cleaning part of the business, which became "Arthur Rose the Careful Cleaner." In 1984, the Roses sold Trute Furriers to another local furrier with long-time experience. In 1985, Rose-Art Furs sold its entire stock and the business was dissolved.

Marine School District No. 1997, 1908-1944

  • LGA 14
  • Local Government
  • 1908-1944

On January 8, 1908, ratepayers in the Torquay, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. After the department revised the proposed boundaries, a second petition was filed on January 29, 1908. Departmental approval was granted and the first organizational meeting was held on February 25, 1908. Thirteen ratepayers voted in favor of the formation of the district; 6 ratepayers were against it. John A. Meyer, James L. Salmond and M. Pappenfus were elected trustees.

The Marine School District No. 1997 was established on March 9, 1908. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

A one room school, located on NE 35-2-12-W2, was opened in 1909 with Miss McLaughlin as the first teacher. On November 15, 1944 the duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Marine School District joined the Estevan School Unit No. 2. In 1953 the school was closed and the students conveyed to Torquay.

Green Mount School District No. 1702, 1906-1944

  • LGA 19
  • Local Government
  • 1906-1944

On November 1, 1906, ratepayers in the Torquay, Saskatchewan area petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. Departmental approval was granted and the first organizational meeting was held on December 8, 1906. Seven ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district and C. H. Johnston, John Johnson and John Mosser were elected trustees. The Green Mount School District No. 1702 was established on December 28, 1906.

The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The one room schoolhouse, located on SE 24-1-13-W2, opened in August, 1907 with Miss Emma Johnston as teacher. After many ratepayers argued that the school was not situated in a central location, a new school was built on SW 13-1-13-W2 in 1917. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Green Mount School District joined the Radville School Unit No. 3 on November 21, 1944. The school closed in the fall of 1958 and the students were conveyed to school in Oungre.

Whitewood (Sask.), 1892-

  • LGA 26
  • Local Government
  • 1892-

The Town of Whitewood is an urban municipality incorporated on December 31, 1892 under the provisions of An Ordinance to Incorporate the Town of Whitewood (No. 34 of 1892). The first municipal officials, elected on January 30, 1893 included James Grierson (mayor), four councilors and John Hawkes (town clerk).The town is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Town of Whitewood, named for the clumps of white poplars in the area, is an agricultural based community located at 7-16-2-W2 in southeastern Saskatchewan, approximately 175 kilometers east of Regina. The town is often referred to as Crossroad Country as it is intersected by two major highways, the Trans Canada and Highway No. 9. The town is situated in Willowdale Rural Municipality No. 153.

The town is currently (2006) governed by a mayor and six councilors, each elected to three year terms. Subcommittees of Council manage public services, community economic development and recreation. The general administration of the town is handled by an administrator and an office clerk. The current population is 947.

Rippowan School District No. 3984, 1917-1946

  • LGA 15
  • Local Government
  • 1917-1946

On July 14, 1916 ratepayers in the Hawarden, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. Departmental approval was granted and the first organizational meeting was held on November 5, 1917. Seven ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district; none was against it. J.E. Baird, Arthur Devitt Jr. and John Varty were elected trustees.

Rippowan School District No. 3984 was established on November 28, 1917. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants, settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The name of the school district referred to the county in Ontario where district residents, the A.H. Devitt family, originated from. The one room school, located on SW 4-29-4-W3, was opened on May 7, 1918, with Miss M.B. Hudson as teacher. On June 30, 1943, the school closed and the students were conveyed to Hawarden Consolidated School District. On January 21, 1946, the duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Rippowan School District joined the Davidson School Unit No. 31.

Resultaten 51 tot 60 van 7499