- GA 139
- Secondary Agency
The Corrections Branch of the Department of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation was established on April 1, 1949 in conjunction with the establishment of the department. All services and programs of the preceding Department of Welfare's Corrections Branch were continued under the new department. Directors of the branch included Hugh G. Christie (1949-1951), J.V Fornataro (1951-1958), J.R. Mather (1958-1964) and M.E. Rubin (1964-1965). The director reported to the department's Deputy Minister (1949-1958), then to the Director of Welfare (1958-1965).
Correctional institutions administered and operated by the branch included the provincial men's jails in Regina, Prince Albert and Moosomin (closed in 1949), the women's jail at Prince Albert, and the Industrial School for Boys in Regina (renamed Saskatchewan Boys' School in 1950). Responsibility for the Saskatchewan Boys' School was transferred to the department's Child Welfare Branch in 1959. Additional institutional, minimum-security work camps were established throughout the province in the 1950s.
Following the correctional model established by the Department of Welfare's Corrections Branch, continued emphasis was placed by the branch on rehabilitation programs and services for offenders. This included academic, vocational and physical training, as well as emotional and spiritual counselling from trained staff along with representatives from the John Howard Society, church groups and service clubs.
Divisions within the branch continued existence for adult parole and probation, and juvenile parole and probation. By 1952, services provided by the divisions were delivered by field staff of the Regional Services Division of the department's Public Welfare Branch. Legislation was passed in 1959 that directed the transfer of the care and treatment of juvenile delinquents to the Child Welfare Branch.
The Department of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation was discontinued on April 30, 1965. Services and programs of the Corrections Branch were continued under the Department of Welfare.