Showing 90 results

Authority record
Family

Leonard Gillespie Bell Family, 1826-

  • PA 176
  • Family
  • 1826-

Leonard Gillespie Bell Sr. was born in Armagh, Ireland in 1826 and immigrated to Canada from 1867. He lived for a time in Quebec and New Brunswick before he moved to Saskatchewan on July 12, 1882, where he homesteaded in the Qu'Appelle area on NW 1/4 4-18-14 W2.

Trained as a civil engineer, Bell worked on an engineering project in Regina between November 1896 and July 1897. Most of his efforts; however, were directed towards farming.

Commissioned by Bell Sr. in 1894 and completed in 1896, a stone house was built south of Qu'Appelle. The home, which came to be known as "The Gables" was designed by architect James Allen Macdonald, who at the time resided in Regina.

Bell Sr. and his wife, Sarah Louisa, had two children: Leonard Gillespie Jr. and Laura.

Bell Sr. died in 1911 while visiting his sisters in Armagh, Ireland. He was buried there.

Leonard G. Bell Jr. attended Nisbet Academy in Prince Albert and trained at the Agricultural College in Guelph, Ontario before returning to Qu'Appelle. When he married Florence Emily Tanner in 1905 they moved into "The Gables" and Mr. and Mrs. Bell Sr. moved into Qu'Appelle.

Bell Jr. and his wife Florence had at least one child, Benjamin Bell, who in 1940 married Cornelia Russell.

Laura Bell taught Sunday School during the 1890s, and married Fred Blakeney of Detroit, Michigan.

Luke Battersby Family, 1853-1980

  • PA 457
  • Family
  • 1853-1980

Luke Battersby was born in England in 1853. He immigrated from Yorkshire, England to Canada around 1883 and settled in the Pheasant Forks-Duff, North-West Territories (now known as Saskatchewan) district. Around 1895, Battersby moved to the Goodeve, North-West Territories district, where he established a mixed farming and livestock operation. He was one of the first homesteaders in the Goodeve district. Battersby continued to reside in the Goodeve district until his death on April 17, 1945. He was buried in Fenwood Community Cemetery.

Luke Battersby and his wife, Isabel, had eight children: Alice; John; James; Ruth; Fanny; Robert; Thomas and Evelyn. All of the children were born in the North-West Territories (Saskatchewan). Alice, Evelyn, James, John, Robert and Thomas Battersby never married. They all were partners in Battersby Farms. Fanny was born in 1885 and married Robert Franklin on June 6, 1912 in Goodeve. The Franklins resided in the Fenwood district. Ruth, born on September 1, 1894, married Robert Johnson on December 16, 1925. The Johnsons resided on a farm in the Hubbard district and had six children: Harry, Ethel, Mae, Jane, Lucy and Alice. Isabel Battersby died in 1941 and was buried in Fenwood Community Cemetery.

The birth and death dates of five of the Battersby children are as follows: John Battersby (April 4, 1892 - June 5, 1973); Alice Battersby (March 18, 1884 - 1966); Evelyn Battersby (September 2, 1887 - March 23, 1971); James Battersby (October 21, 1899 - 1969); and Robert Battersby (August 29, 1889 - March 25, 1971).

Thomas Battersby was born on January 21, 1897 in Goodeve. He served in World War 1 and farmed in the Goodeve area until his retirement in 1973. In 1974, he donated land in the Goodeve area to the Government of Saskatchewan for a wildlife sanctuary called the Thomas Battersby Wildlife Protected Area. Battersby was a member of the Melville Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. He died in Melville on June 29, 1980 and was buried in Melville City Cemetery.

Maurice W. Sharon Family, 1875-

  • PA 385
  • Family
  • 1875-

Maurice William Sharon was born in St. Thomas, Ontario on November 1, 1875 to Sturgeon and Ellen (nee Smith) Sharon. He received his primary and secondary education in St. Thomas and graduated from the School of Practical Science (currently known as the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering, University of Toronto). After graduation, Sharon apprenticed as an architect in St. Thomas and did geographical work with the Department of the Interior in Ottawa. While in Ottawa, Sharon served as a lieutenant with the 5th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards. Sharon married Florence Edna Freek in St. Thomas in 1905.

Maurice and Florence Sharon moved to Regina, Saskatchewan in 1906. They had two children: Helen (Elson Potts), born in 1907, and a daughter who was born and died in 1909. Sharon worked as a draughtsman with the Department of Public Works (1906-1909) before establishing a private architectural firm in 1910. After Florence Sharon's death in 1910, Sharon married Sadie Campbell, a nurse, with whom he had three children: Betty Campbell; George Dugdale and Maurice William (Bill).

Sharon remained in private practice until 1916, when he was appointed Provincial Architect with the Department of Public Works. Sharon prepared plans and specifications and supervised the construction of many of Saskatchewan's public buildings, including the Provincial Normal School in Saskatoon, the Saskatchewan Hospital at Weyburn, and the court houses in Weyburn, Yorkton and Assiniboia. Sharon retired in 1930 and moved to Vancouver, British Columbia and later to Chilliwack, where he died on September 8, 1940.

Sadie Campbell Sharon died on January 8, 1943 in Chilliwack. George Dugdale Sharon, who served with the 16th Canadian Scottish during the Second World War, died on August 24, 1972 in Vancouver. Betty Campbell Sharon died on October 19, 1980 in Chilliwack.

Results 51 to 60 of 90