Affichage de 6928 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Webb, John H. (John Hooper), 1922-

  • PA 124
  • Individual
  • 1922-

John Hooper Webb was born on May 11, 1922 in Winnipeg, Manitoba to Alfred and Nina (Simpson) Hooper. He was raised in Grandview, Manitoba. Webb joined the Royal Canadian Air Force in December, 1940 and served in Canada and overseas until being discharged in June, 1945. After the war, he attended Regina College and took engineering classes at the University of Saskatchewan.

In 1946, Webb articled with T.G. Tyrer, chief surveyor of the Saskatchewan Land Titles Office, and received his Saskatchewan Land Surveyor (SLS) commission on June 30, 1949. He then moved to Edmonton, Alberta, where he was employed with the survey firm of Phillips, Hamilton and Associates and received his Alberta Land Surveyor (ALS) commission. In 1954, Webb moved to Saskatoon and joined the survey firm of Kent Phillips and Associates. He obtained his Manitoba Land Surveyor (MLS) commission in 1955. In 1957, Webb and R.A. Webster went into partnership to form the survey firm of Webb & Webster Surveys Ltd. Webb received his Canada Lands Surveyor (CLS) commission in 1982 and was active with the firm until his retirement in 1984. During his career, Webb participated in surveys across Saskatchewan and Western Canada.

Webb was active in numerous professional organizations during his career. He served as vice-president of the Alberta Land Surveyors Association (1953); president of the Saskatchewan Land Surveyors Association (1959-1960); president of the Canadian Institute of Surveying (1979-1980) and was a member of the Board of Examiners at the Univerisity of Saskatchewan. An honorary life member of the Saskatchewan and Alberta land surveyors associations, Webb has written several books on his experiences as a land surveyor.

Webb married Dorothy Helen Pulfer in 1945. They had three children: Rob; Meridee and Tom.

Hipperson Holdings Ltd., 1980-1996

  • PA 66
  • Corporate
  • 1980-1996

Hipperson Holdings Ltd. is a holding company established in Regina, Saskatchewan. The company was incorporated on December 18, 1980. Hipperson Holdings does not transact business itself, but exists to improve and bring together the business enterprises such as Hipperson Investments Ltd. and Hy-Grade Millwork Limited. Its business activities consist of holding shares in these other companies, realizing earnings from such investments and in so doing minimizing the risk for the owners and improving the ability to control the different companies. Hipperson Holdings is registered with Corporations Branch as operating with a minimum of one and a maximum of three directors; currently (2010) only Donald Kemp Hipperson is identified as being a director.

Rural Municipality of Prairie Rose No. 309, 1910-

  • LGA 70
  • Local Government
  • 1910-

The Rural Municipality of Prairie Rose No. 309 of Saskatchewan was incorporated on December 12, 1910 pursuant to the Rural Municipalities Act (S.S. 1908-09, c.6). The first reeve elected was E. G. Fisher. The first councilors were R. Copeland, William Smalley, J. Langelle, George Postier, Fred Ceal, and William Davidson. The first secretary-treasurer was Robert Graham. The municipality, located southeast of Saskatoon, encompasses the village of Jansen and the hamlet of Esk. It serves the area located in ranges 19, 20 and 21, townships 31, 32, and 33, west of the second meridian. It was named by Mr. Jansen after the roses that grew in the area.

The municipal office is located in Jansen. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councilors and an administrator, previously known as the secretary-treasurer. Their responsibilities include passing by-laws, maintaining cemeteries, collecting taxes, assisting in maintaining hospitals and roads and preventing cruelty to animals. The Council meets once per month.

The population in the rural municipality has declined over time. In 1910, there were 452 residents. The population as of 2009 is 292.

McCarty, Muriel Rose, 1894-1977

  • PA 106
  • Individual
  • 1894-1977

Muriel Rose McCarty was born on May 10, 1894 in McGillivray township, Middlesex County, Ontario to Alfred and Naomi (Lingard) McCarty. She moved to the Glen Ewen, North-West Territories (now known as Saskatchewan) district with her family in 1898. In 1902, she moved with her family to Carnduff, where she was educated. After attending Normal School in Regina, McCarty taught in rural schools around Carnduff and at Carnduff School.

McCarty married Nelson Griffin on July 17, 1924. The Griffins lived in Carnduff, Unity and Regina, where Muriel (McCarty) Griffin died on April 14, 1977. The Griffins had one daughter: Beryl.

Foster, Thelma Hofstrand, ?-2001

  • PA 108
  • Individual
  • 1916-2001

Thelma Elvira Foster (nee Hofstrand) was born in Stockholm, Saskatchewan. She attended Normal School and worked as a teacher in rural Saskatchewan, including in Stony Trail School District No. 4756. She resided in Stockholm until 1941, when she moved to the Milden district. She married Alfred John Foster in 1949. The Fosters adopted two children, Jim and Leonard, in 1955. Thelma Foster died in 2001 and was buried in the Milden Community Cemetery.

Foster joined the Saskatchewan Poetry Society in 1957 and was a member of the Saskatchewan Writers' Guild. Her novel, "Wild Daisies", set against the background of a Swedish community in eastern Saskatchewan in the 1920s and 1930s, was published in 1977.

Ituna (Sask.), 1910-1961

  • LGA 75
  • Local Government
  • 1910-1961

The Village of Ituna was an urban municipality in east central Saskatchewan. It was incorporated on May 30, 1910 in accordance with The Village Act. The village was located 55 kilometres north west of Melville and was situated on three provincial highways (nos. 15, 52 and 310) and the Canadian National Railways mainline between Winnipeg, Manitoba and Saskatoon. The name of the village was believed to be chosen by engineers of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. The village was located in the Rural Municipality of Ituna Bon Accord No. 246 and served as the administrative centre of the rural municipality.

The village was governed by an elected council consisting of an overseer (later known as mayor) and councillors. The council was responsible for enforcing by-laws; waste collection and landfill; fire protection; issuing tax and assessment notices; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets and collecting taxes and other fees. The council hired staff to manage the daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreational facilities. The secretary-treasurer (later known as the clerk) was responsible for the day to day operations and ensured that council was adhering to policy.

On October 1, 1961, the status of the village was changed when it became the Town of Ituna.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Municipal Affairs. Northern Settlers' Re-establishment Branch

  • GA 60
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1935-1945

In the early 1930s, the Depression and drought forced many farmers from the southern areas of the province to move to northern Saskatchewan's drought-free forest fringe areas, which were being opened for farming. Urban residents were also encouraged to move north to establish farms by municipalities and provincial programs responsible for relief payments. An estimated 45,000 people migrated north between 1930 and 1936. As they were unfamiliar with northern farming conditions, most settlers were not able to survive without government assistance.

The Northern Settlers' Re-establishment Branch (NSRB) was established under the Department of Municipal Affairs in September 1935 to consolidate assistance programs administered by several departments. The branch provided assistance to settlers in the hopes of establishing self-supporting agricultural communities. The branch's activities including extending credit for breaking land, building farms, and buying livestock; providing direct relief to settlers to improve their land for subsistence farming; organizing community infrastructure projects, such as group building of schools, homes, roads and drainage systems; buying caterpillar tractors and other equipment for breaking land and building roads; organizing agricultural education programs; relocating farmers; converting unsuitable farm land back to public land; building roads; and braking and draining usable land.

The branch was initially supervised by a commissioner. Duties of field staff included administering the Local Improvement Districts in the north, thereby performing similar functions to those of municipalities in the south. Branch personnel were responsible for ensuring that beneficiaries sufficiently demonstrated that they were working on their farms and the community projects. In 1936, the activities of the branch were placed under the direction of the newly created Northern Settlers' Re-establishment Board, consisting of three members, one of whom served as chair. In April 1937, the board was rescinded and direction of the branch was returned to the commissioner.

The NSRB was renamed the Northern Areas Branch in 1940. On February 1, 1945, the Northern Areas Branch was consolidated with the southern local improvement district office to form the Local Improvement Districts Branch of the Department of Municipal Affairs. The amalgamation was carried out in order to provide more uniform service and administration to residents of local improvement districts.

Tate (Sask.), 1909-1961

  • LGA 82
  • Local Government
  • 1909-1961

The Village of Tate was an urban municipality incorporated in 1909, under the provisions of The Village Ordinance. The Village was governed by an elected council that could hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council included enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Village of Tate was an agricultural-based community located on the north-east corner of Section 36, Township 28, Range 21, west of the second meridian, 13 kilometres northwest of the Village of Semans in central Saskatchewan. The Village was found near Highway 15 between highways 6 and 20 and was located within the Rural Municipality of Mount Hope No. 276. The Village was named after D'Arcy Tate, solicitor for the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway.

The village was disorganized in 1961.

Saskatchewan Records Management Association, 1977-1981[?]

  • PA 139
  • Corporate
  • 1977-1981

The Saskatchewan Records Management Association was created to encourage a free exchange of ideas, experience, and information related to the field of records management; to support and promote sound record management technique, procedures and practices; to promote professional competence in the field of records management; and to provide an organization through which the collective opinions of members could be expressed on matters affecting records management.

A steering committee to establish an association was created in 1976, and an organizational meeting occurred in Regina on February 24, 1977, when a constitution and by-laws were approved. An executive was elected by majority vote and consisted of a president; vice-president; secretary-treasurer and directors. The Association did not hold an institutional membership in the Association of Records Managers and Administrators (ARMA), although individuals could simultaneously hold a membership in each organization. The organization was active until at least 1981.

Ward, Norman, 1918-1990

  • PA 477
  • Individual
  • 1918-1990

Norman McQueen Ward was born in Hamilton, Ontario on May 10, 1918 to Arthur and Rachel (McQueen) Ward. He attended Hamilton Central Collegiate Institute and earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from McMaster University in 1941. He obtained Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy degrees from the University of Toronto in 1943 and 1949 respectively.

Around 1945, Ward was employed as an instructor in the Department of Economics and Political Science at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon. He became a professor in 1955 and remained on the faculty until his retirement in 1985. In 1967, Ward was named Britnell Professor, a designation assigned to senior members of the department for their distinguished service. Ward was a Maurice Cody Research Fellow at the University of Toronto (1947-1948) and the Skelton-Clark Fellow at Queen's University (1958-1959).

During his professional career, Ward also served on numerous federal and provincial committees, commissions and task forces, including the Electoral Boundaries Commission for Saskatchewan (1964-1966) and the Canada Council (1974-1980). He was a trustee for the Mendel Art Gallery (1979-1986) and the Forum for Young Canadians and was chairman of the Saskatchewan Archives Board (1982-1985). Ward served on the National Advisory Board for "The Canadian Encyclopedia" in 1985. He died in Saskatoon on February 6, 1990.

Ward made a significant contribution to scholarly and humorous literature. Focusing on federal-provincial affairs and the House of Commons, Ward wrote numerous articles and books including "The Canadian House of Commons: Representation (1950)"; and "Public Purse: A Study in Canadian Democracy" (1962). He edited several editions of Robert MacGregor Dawson's "The Government of Canada" and "Democratic Government in Canada" by R.M. Dawson and W.F. Dawson. Ward edited "Politics in Saskatchewan" with Duff Spafford (1968) and "Bilingualism and Biculturalism in the Canadian House of Commons" with D. Hoffman (1968). Ward's humorous essays were published in three volumes: "Mice in the Beer" (1960); "The Fully Processed Cheese" (1964) and "Her Majesty's Mice" (1977). During his retirement, Ward researched and co-wrote a biography with David Smith entitled "Jimmy Gardiner: Relentless Liberal", which was published posthumously.

Ward was the recipient of many awards and honours, including the Leacock Medal for Humour for "Mice in the Beer" (1961). He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (1963); named an Officer of the Order of Canada (awarded in 1974; invested in 1976); and was awarded many honorary degrees from universities across Canada, including a posthumous honorary Doctor of Laws degree from the University of Saskatchewan. The Dr. Norman Ward Memorial Scholarship in Political Science is offered annually by the University of Saskatchewan. The library of the Department of Political Studies at the U of S is also named in his honour.

Ward married Betty Edith Davis on September 11, 1943. The Wards had six children: Nora, Nancy, Norman, Donald, Colin and Michael.

Résultats 41 à 50 sur 6928