Affichage de 6928 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Cupar School Division No. 28 of Saskatchewan, 1979-2003

  • LGA 59
  • Local Government
  • 1979-2003

The Cupar School Division No. 28 of Saskatchewan was established on January 1, 1979 with the dissolution of Cupar School Unit No. 28 of Saskatchewan, pursuant to The Education Act (S.S. 1978, c. 17). The Board of the school division was responsible for administering the public elementary and secondary schools within its borders. The six member Board was elected through public vote. Funding to administer and operate the schools in the Division was provided through provincial grants and locally-generated revenue.

The responsibilities of the Board were the same as those assigned to the separate and francophone school boards in the province. The Board's duties and powers included administering and managing the educational affairs of the School Division; exercising general supervision and control over the schools in the division; approving administrative procedures pertaining to the internal organization, management and supervision of the schools; providing and maintaining school accommodation, equipment and facilities; and appointing and employing qualified teachers, principals and other necessary staff.

In the fall of 2003, the Saskatchewan Department of Education created the Qu'Appelle Valley School Division No. 139. Cupar School Division No. 28 became part of Qu'Appelle Valley School Division No. 139 effective January 1, 2004.

Trapp, George Joseph, 1909-2002

  • PA 76
  • Individual
  • 1909-2002

George Joseph Trapp was born on June 5, 1909 in Kamsack, Saskatchewan to Joseph and Caroline (Slamp) Trapp. He moved to the Lipton district with his family in 1915. Trapp received his primary education in the Lipton district and attended Lipton High School and Luther College, Regina. He attended the Regina Normal School from 1929 to 1930 and earned a Bachelor of Education degree from the University of Saskatchewan in 1955.

After graduating from the Regina Normal School, Trapp began his teaching career at McDonald Hills School, a rural school north of Dysart. He then taught at Dysart Village School and Cupar Consolidated School and served as principal of Punnichy School from 1943 to 1964. Trapp served as a councilor with the Govan School Unit and was an executive member and president (1959-1960) of the Saskatchewan Teachers' Federation. He was named to the Canadian College of Teachers in 1961 and was named a honorary life member of the Saskatchewan Teachers' Federation in 1971.

Trapp's political career began in 1964, when he was elected to the Saskatchewan Legislature as the Liberal member for the Touchwood constituency. He served as Minister of Education in the Ross Thatcher Government from May 22, 1964 to October 31, 1967.

After his defeat in the 1967 general election, Trapp worked as Director of Continuing Education with the Saskatchewan Power Corporation (SaskPower) in Regina until his retirement in 1980.

Trapp died on November 25, 2002.

Trapp married Bess Stewart on February 2, 1933. The Trapps had two children: Marjorie and Murray.

Connell, Gordon Forest, 1888-1981

  • PA 83
  • Individual
  • 1888-1981

Gordon Forest Connell was born on January 25, 1888 in Neepawa, Manitoba. He had one sister and four brothers. Educated in Neepawa, Connell moved to Regina, Saskatchewan in 1912. He operated a grain and livestock farm in the Regina district until his retirement to Regina around 1950. Connell also served as a councillor and reeve (ca. 1935-1938) for the Rural Municipality of Sherwood No. 159.

Connell was active in various co-operative, livestock, agricultural and community organizations. He was a founding member of the Sherwood Co-operative Association and was active in the Polled Angus Breeders' Association. He was a charter member of the First Presbyterian Church congregation in Regina and wrote a history of the church around 1975. Connell served as president of the Regina Chamber of Commerce (1950-1951) and the Regina Oldtimers Association and was active in the establishment of the Regina Plains Museum.

Connell died in Regina on June 4, 1981.

Connell was married twice: first to Anna Ross, in 1919, and then to Ethel Walker Scott. Connell did not have any children.

Lingard, Charles Cecil, 1901-1979

  • PA 85
  • Individual
  • 1901-1979

Charles Cecil Lingard was born in Carnduff, North-West Territories (later known as Saskatchewan) on April 27, 1901 to Charles Thomas and Sarah (Fairhall) Lingard. He received his early education in Carnduff and completed his grade 12 in Estevan. Lingard graduated from the Regina Normal School in 1920. He earned Bachelor (1929) and Master (1930) of Arts degrees in History from Queen's University and a Doctor of Philosophy degree in History from the University of Chicago (1939).

After graduating from Regina Normal School, Lingard worked as a school teacher and principal in Macklin, Kincaid and Carnduff. He taught history at Central Collegiate Institute in Regina (1930-1939) and was a special lecturer at the University of Saskatchewan and Regina College. Lingard became chief librarian of the Regina Public Library in 1940 and held the position until his move to Eastern Canada in 1945. Lingard served as editor of the International Journal and research secretary of the Canadian Institute of International Affairs (1945-1950) and was a member of the University of Toronto faculty (1946-1950). He was editor of the Canada Year Book (1951-1968) until his retirement in August, 1968.

Lingard held memberships in numerous professional associations, including the Canadian Historical Association and Canadian Economic and Political Science Association. He served as president of the Saskatchewan Library Association (1943-1944). Lingard was the author of "Territorial Government in Canada: The Autonomy Question in the Old North-West Territories". His articles on Canadian and international affairs were published in various periodicals.

Lingard died in Ottawa, Ontario on December 6, 1979.

Lingard married Ella Tait on July 24, 1930 in Saint John, New Brunswick. The Lingards did not have any children.

Unity (Sask.), 1919-

  • LGA 62
  • Local Government
  • 1919-

The Town of Unity is an urban municipality in west central Saskatchewan incorporated on November 1, 1919. Unity is located 90 kilometres south-west of the Battlefords and 200 kilometres west of the City of Saskatoon. Its exact geographical location is NW18-40-22-W3. Located in the Rural Municipality of Round Valley No. 410, Unity is believed to have been named after Unity, Wisconsin, the original home of many of the early settlers in the Unity district.

The town is governed by a council consisting of a mayor and at least two councillors, each elected for a three year term. The goals of the council are to provide good government; provide necessary services and facilities for all or part of the municipality; develop and maintain a safe and viable community; and foster economic, social and environmental well-being. The council holds jurisdiction over police and fire protection; water and sewer utilities; parks and recreation and waste management.

The council makes decisions and exercises its power through the passage of resolutions and bylaws. Bylaws enforced by council include those relating to building; wild and domestic animals; nuisances; transport and transportation systems; streets and roads; businesses and business activities; signs and zoning. Council is also responsible for the collection of revenues; issuing of tax and assessment notices; administration of the operating and capital budgets and preparation of annual financial statements.

The Town of Unity is currently (2009) administered by a mayor, six councillors, and an administrator (previously known as the town clerk). The administrator oversees the day to day operations of the municipality, advises on policy and ensures council policies are carried out. The council currently holds regular meetings open to the public on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Social Services. Family Support Division

  • GA 132
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1983-1988

Established in 1983, the Family Support Division of the Department of Social Services provided child, family and youth social services by authority of The Family Services Act and Regulations and the federal Juvenile Delinquents Act. (after April 1984, the Young Offenders Act). Programs and services were delivered through a network of twenty-four service delivery units throughout the province. The division also oversaw provisions of service by non-governmental organizations that supplemented or complemented services provided by the department. The division reported to the Assistant Deputy Minister of the department, and was organized into two sections: Child and Family Services and Youth Services.

Child and Family Services included child protection, single parent services, adoption and foster care. Child protection services investigated into all reports of child abuse or neglect. Subsequent measures included counselling, referral and supportive services or the removal of a child from the home. Single parent services provided information, referrals, counselling, and pre-natal and post-natal support services, as well as services for single mothers seeking to place children for adoption. In addition, services were expanded to focus on teen parents. Adoption services were responsible for the recruitment, screening, preparation and selection of adoptive families for children in need of placement, as well as facilitating private and step-parent adoptions. In addition, the REACH (Resources for the Adoption of Children) program coordinated adoptions for children with special needs and circumstances. The Foster Home Program provided substitute family environments for children in need of temporary or permanent placement. Responsibility for children in foster care was shared between the department and the foster parents in the program.

Youth Services included young offenders services and residential services. Young offenders services administered cases of juvenile offenders in the justice system. Services offered were consistent with the Act, and included Alternative Measures (non-judicial mediation), Community Options (judicial interim release, community homes, day programs, community service orders, personal service orders, fines, compensation, and probation), and Custody Options (remand, open custody and secure custody.) Residential services were provided from four child care facilities: Saskatchewan Boys' Centre (renamed Paul Dojack Centre in 1985), Roy Wilson Centre, Dales House and Kilburn Hall, from purchased residential care from three non-governmental organizations and from government-funded group homes and receiving homes throughout the province.

As a result of a departmental re-organization in 1985, child and family services renamed the responsibility of the Family Support Division, while a separate division was created for young offender services. A subsequent re-organization in 1988 had responsibilities of the Family Support Division transferred to the Family Services Division.

Dryden, Annabel Margaret, 1916-2003

  • PA 94
  • Individual
  • 1916-2003

Annabel Dryden was born in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1916 to Ernest and Alice Murray. She had one sister, Eileen. Dryden was educated in Regina, Saskatoon and Toronto, Ontario. In the 1940s and 1950s, she was employed in the editorial department of the Leader-Post newspaper in Regina. She was also a reporter for a monthly magazine published in Chicago, Illinois.

Active in the Regina community, Dryden was a member of the Stagette Club and the University Women's Club and was involved with the Seniors' Education Centre.

Dryden died in Regina on September 10, 2003.

Annabel Dryden's first husband, George Reid, died in 1944. Her second husband, Charles Dryden, died in 2009. Dryden had two children: Margaret and Cathy.

Seitz, Nickolas Joseph, 1902-1988

  • PA 95
  • Individual
  • 1902-1988

Nickolas Joseph Seitz was born on April 18, 1902 in Hosmer, South Dakota to Frank and Rosina (Gotz) Seitz. In April 1903, he moved with his family to a farm in the Kendal, North-West Territories (later known as Saskatchewan) district. The family also farmed in the Sedley and Cedoux districts before moving to Regina after Frank Seitz's death in 1927.

Seitz drove a gravel truck and worked at various trades before beginning his employment with the Maintenance Department of Simpson Sears Ltd. in Regina in 1941. He remained with the company until his retirement in April, 1967. Seitz continued to reside in Regina until his death on June 13, 1988.

Seitz married Mary Zimmerman on October 8, 1929 in Regina. They had one child: Ted.

Crosby, Agnes, 1882-1982

  • PA 114
  • Individual
  • 1882-1982

Agnes Crosby was born on January 20, 1882 in Elton, Manitoba. Educated in Manitoba, she earned a teaching certificate in 1898 and a teaching diploma in 1901. Crosby taught in Douglas and Glenboro, Manitoba and at Provost, Alberta. She married Robert Crosby in March, 1911. The Crosbys lived on a farm near Lipton, Saskatchewan for most of their lives. Agnes Crosby moved to Melville in 1980 and to Fort Qu'Appelle in 1981. She died on October 26, 1982.

Bell, Robert, 1841-1917

  • PA 120
  • Individual
  • 1841-1917

Robert Bell was born on June 3, 1841 in Toronto, Upper Canada, to Andrew Bell and Elizabeth Notman. He was educated at L'Original, Upper Canada. When he was 15, his father secured Bell temporary work with the Geological Survey of Canada, where he continued to work temporarily and permanently for many years.

Bell continued his education at McGill College, Montreal, Quebec achieving a degree in applied science. He then studied at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland and became an interim professor of chemistry and natural science at Queen's College, Kingston, Ontario. By 1878, Bell had also earned a medical degree from McGill College.

Bell became a permanent officer with the Geological Survey of Canada in 1869. He extensively explored present-day northern Quebec, Ontario and Manitoba in the 1870s and 1880s. He was also a geologist and medical officer on naval expeditions to Hudson Bay in 1884 and 1885 and to Baffin Island in 1897.

Throughout his career, Bell earned many awards, including being elected a fellow of the Geological Society of London (1865), a fellow of the Royal Society of London (1897), and a companion of the Imperial Service Order (1903). He won the Patron's Medal of the Royal Geographical Society of London (1906) and the Cullum Geographical Medal of the American Geographical Society of New York (1906).

Bell retired from the Survey at the end of November, 1908. He spent two years in Europe (1912-1914), and then settled in Ottawa, Ontario and Rathwell, Manitoba. He died in 1917.

Bell married Agnes Smith in 1873 and they had four children: one son and three daughters.

Résultats 31 à 40 sur 6928