Showing 154 results

Authority record
Local Government

Dundurn (Sask.), 1980-

  • LGA 29
  • Local Government
  • 1980-

The Town of Dundurn is an urban municipality incorporated on November 1, 1980. Dundurn was originally incorporated as a village on July 7, 1905 and retained that status until 1980. The town is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Town of Dundurn, named for Dundurn Castle in Scotland, is an agricultural based community located in central Saskatchewan. It is situated approximately 30 kilometers south of the City of Saskatoon on Highway No. 11 and is located in Dundurn Rural Municipality No. 314.

The town is currently (2006) administered by a mayor, five councillors, a treasurer and an administrator. The current population is 596.

Dundurn (Sask.), 1905-1980

  • LGA 32
  • Local Government
  • 1905-1980

The Village of Dundurn was an urban municipality incorporated on July 7, 1905 under the provisions of The Village Ordinance. The first overseer, John Burkitt, was elected on July 17, 1905. F.E. Livingstone was the first secretary-treasurer. The responsibilities of the elected council, consisting of an overseer and three councillors, included enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees. The secretary-treasurer performed administrative duties.

The Village of Dundurn, named for Dundurn Castle in Scotland, was an agricultural based community located on section 9 in township 33, range 4, west of the third meridian in central Saskatchewan. It was situated approximately 30 kilometers southeast of the City of Saskatoon on Highway No. 11 and was situated in Dundurn Rural Municipality No. 314.

In 1979, Dundurn had a population of 409 and was governed by a mayor and three councillors. Dundurn was incorporated as a town on November 1, 1980.

Casavant School District No. 3127, 1913-1973

  • LGA 35
  • Local Government
  • 1913-1973

In July 1913, a committee of ratepayers in the Vonda, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. At a meeting held by the committee on August 11, 1913, 10 resident ratepayers voted in favor of the district; none was opposed. The trustees elected were Clotere Denis, Emile Casavant and W. Richard.

Casavant School District No. 3127 was officially established on September 22, 1913 in accordance with the provisions of the Schools Act. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school and grounds, buildings and equipment; hiring qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes and maintaining school records and accounts.

In December 1913, the Board of Trustees borrowed $1800 to build and furnish a school house with a teachers' residence. The one room schoolhouse was located at NW 23-37-1-W3.

The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Casavant School District joined the Wakaw School Unit No. 48 in 1952. The rural school was closed in June, 1961. On September 1, 1961, Casavant School District was transferred to the Saskatoon (East) School Unit No. 41. Casavant and Dinelle's School District No. 1176 were consolidated to form the Casavant Central School Board, which administered a centralized school located in the hamlet of St. Denis.

On July 24, 1973, Casavant School District was disestablished and the lands from the Casavant district were consolidated with Vonda School District No. 1312 and Vonda Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 18.

Assiniboia (Sask.), 1913-

  • LGA 36
  • Local Government
  • 1913-

The Town of Assiniboia is an urban municipality in Saskatchewan and was incorporated on October 1, 1913. In 1912, the site where the town now stands was appointed as a Canadian Pacific Railway divisional site and lots were sold immediately. In 1913, a school was built, and within one year, Assiniboia had a rural telephone company, daily mail service and a hospital. Assiniboia is located on the Canadian Pacific Railway Weyburn-Lethbridge line, 105 kilometres south of Moose Jaw in the Lake of the Rivers Rural Municipality No.72.

The town is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services such as roads, utilities and recreational facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax assessment notices; and collecting taxes and other fees.

The town is currently (2009) administered by a mayor, six councillors, and an administrator. The current population is 2, 305 people.

Regina Beach (Sask.), 1920-1980

  • LGA 37
  • Local Government
  • 1920-1980

The Village of Regina Beach, Saskatchewan was an urban municipality incorporated on September 30, 1920. The village was located 58 kilometres north west of Regina, near the south west end of Last Mountain Lake in Lumsden Rural Municipality No. 189. The site, originally knows as Cain's Point, has served as a popular vacation spot since the late 1800's. The site was accessible by both rail and steamboat. By 1910, property was being sold, summer homes were being built and a village began to take shape. Dr. and Mrs. David Low of Regina are credited with being the first couple to build at Cain's Point, and Mrs. Low is said to have renamed the site Regina Beach.

The village was governed by an elected council that could hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste management; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices, and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Village of Regina Beach was governed originally by an overseer, councilors, and a secretary-treasurer. Around 1970 the governance structure changed to include a mayor (formerly the overseer), councilors, and a secretary-treasurer.

The Village of Regina Beach was incorporated as the Town of Regina Beach on November 1, 1980 and there is a current (2009) population of 1, 125.

Truax (Sask.), 1912-1970

  • LGA 43
  • Local Government
  • 1912-1970

The Village of Truax, Saskatchewan was an urban municipality incorporated on September 9, 1912. The town was originally to have been named Schuett after Joseph Schuett, one of the first homesteaders in the district, but was named Truax, after Reuben Truax of Ontario, a close friend of Martin Schuett Sr. The Village of Truax was located on the Canadian National Railway line between Moose Jaw and Radville.

The village was governed by an elected council that could hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council included enforcing bylaws; waste management; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices, and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Village of Truax was governed originally by an overseer, councilors, and a secretary-treasurer. Later, the governance structure of Saskatchewan villages changed to include a mayor (formerly the overseer), councilors and a secretary-treasurer. In Truax, the first overseer was F.A. Bennett, and the first secretary-treasurer was Joseph Duck. In February 1923, a fire consumed the Municipal Office building in Truax, destroying many of the records for the village.

On December 31, 1970, the Village of Truax reverted to a hamlet and sometime before 2002 the hamlet was dissolved. The residents of the community came under the jurisdiction of Elmsthorpe Rural Municipality No. 100.

Regina General Hospital School of Nursing, 1907-1972

  • LGA 44
  • Local Government
  • 1907-1972

The Regina General Hospital School of Nursing was located at the Regina General Hospital (RGH) in Regina, Saskatchewan from 1907 to 1972. Prior to 1907, the hospital was called the Victoria Hospital and was staffed by members of the Victorian Order of Nurses. The first nursing student began in 1901 under the supervision of Lilly Bristow, an English nurse. In 1902 the Victorian Order of Nurses founded the Victoria Hospital Nurses Education Program. The program continued under the supervision of the Victorian Order of Nurses until the City of Regina took over the facility and its associated programs in 1907. The facility was renamed the Regina General Hospital, and the nursing school was renamed the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing.

The RGH was administrated by a board of governors, appointed by the Regina City Council. The board controlled the hospital finances and approved budgetary spending for the School of Nursing. The board of governors also appointed a director of nursing, who reported to the board, and who oversaw both the school of nursing and nursing service in the hospital. Within the School of Nursing, there was an associate director, a clinical coordinator, student counselors, instructors and a resident health nurse. The first director of nursing and school superintendent was E. Chalmers, who held the position from 1903 to 1909.

Nursing students generally lived in residence, and completed a combination of classroom work and practical rotations on hospital wards to achieve their education. Until 1963, the nursing program was three years in length, consisting of two years of classroom and hospital instruction, followed by a third year practicum. After 1963, the program was reduced to two years in length.

In 1972, the training program for nurses was fully transferred to Wascana Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences in Regina. On August 20, 1972 the RGH Board of Governors and the RGH School of Nursing Alumnae hosted a function to commemorate the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing, to officially close the program and to recognise the final class of graduates.

Goodwater (Sask.), 1911-

  • LGA 39
  • Local Government
  • 1911-

The Village of Goodwater is an urban municipality incorporated on May 8, 1911. At the first meeting of the village council on August 7, 1911, councilors were William Hobbs, Edward McIntyre, and James Seeley, with S.A. Davidson appointed as secretary-treasurer and Hobbs as overseer.

The village is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Village of Goodwater was named for its proximity to a good source of water for steam engines that ran along the nearby railroad. Goodwater is an agricultural and oil industry based community located at 21-5-13-W2 in southeastern Saskatchewan, approximately 160 kilometers southeast of Regina. The town is situated in Lomond Rural Municipality No. 37.

The village is currently (2009) governed by mayor and two councilors, each elected to three-year terms. The general administration of the village is handled by a village administrator. The population was 25 in 2006.

Regina Beach School District No. 2913, 1913-1964

  • LGA 40
  • Local Government
  • 1913-1964

In September 1912, a committee of ratepayers in the Regina Beach, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. At a meeting held by the committee on December 5, 1912, ten resident ratepayers voted on the proposed district. Six were in favour of the district and four were opposed. The first trustees elected were Roy Comstock, George (Geo) Leask, and John Colvin. John Colvin resigned on November 4, 1913 and was replaced as trustee by Norman Elliot.

Regina Beach School District No. 2913 was officially established on February 22, 1913 in accordance with the provisions of The School Act. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, grounds, building and equipment; hiring qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes, and maintaining school records and accounts.

In April 1913, the Board of Trustees borrowed $1,500 to build and furnish a one room school house. This schoolhouse was located at block one, lots 1-18 in the Village of Regina Beach. Ella MacNaughton was the first teacher. In April of 1921, the Board of Trustees again borrowed money, this time to build a new two room school house on the same site at a cost of $15,000.

The duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Regina Beach School District joined the Regina School Unit No. 21 effective January 1, 1964. By the late 1960s most of the Regina Beach students were bussed to Lumsden with the exception of Grades I and II.

The Regina Beach School was closed permanently in June 1970. On September 11, 1972, the land on which the school sat was sold back to the Village of Regina Beach.

Dinelle's School District No. 1176, 1912-1973

  • LGA 42
  • Local Government
  • 1912-1973

In 1912, resident ratepayers in the St. Denis, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. Approval was granted and the Dinelle's Hill School District No. 1176 was established on August 23, 1912 pursuant to the provisions of the School Act. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school and grounds, buildings and equipment; hiring qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes and maintaining school records and accounts.

In 1913, the board of trustees borrowed $2000.00 to build and furnish a school house. The school was located at SE 27-36-1-W3. M. A. Beatrice Houde was the first teacher. On May 3, 1915, the name of the district was changed to Dinelle's School District No. 1176. After the school burned down on March 8, 1943, classes were held in a vacant house until a two room school was purchased and situated on the same site.

The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Dinelle's School District joined the Saskatoon (East) School Unit No. 41 on December 12, 1944. The school was permanently closed on June 30, 1961 and the district consolidated with Casavant School District No. 3127 to form the Casavant Central School Board, which administered a centralized school in the hamlet of St. Denis. Dinelle's School District was officially disorganized on July 24, 1973 and the lands from the district were consolidated with Vonda School District No. 1312 and Vonda Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 18.

Results 31 to 40 of 154