- LGA 31
- Local Government
Eastend is an urban municipality originally incorporated as a village on February 26, 1914. Eastend was incorporated as a town on March 15, 1920 under the provisions of The Village Act. The first municipal officials, elected on March 29, 1920, were W.T. Bickerton (overseer) and A.H. Stevens, W.P. Anderson, Ed Youngberg, W. Miller and J. Peterson (councillors).
The town is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.
Eastend is an agricultural based community located on section 31, township 6, range 21, west of the third meridian in southwestern Saskatchewan, about 33 kilometers southwest of the town of Shaunavon in the Frenchman River Valley. It is located on Highway 13 between Shaunavon and Robsart and situated within White Valley Rural Municipality No. 49.
The name Eastend is derived from the North West Mounted Police (NWMP) East End post established on the eastern slopes of the Cypress Hills in 1879. When the NWMP detachment moved a few years later to a site adjacent the Frenchman River (the current town site) the name remained.
The town currently (2006) covers 2.71 square kilometers and has a population of 576. The town council meets twice monthly and consists of a mayor, six councillors and an administrator.