Showing 94 results

Authority record
Secondary Agency

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Justice. Solicitor General Division

  • GA 146
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1991-1993

The Solicitor General Division of the Department of Justice was established in January 1991. The division assumed responsibility for policing services, firearms control and the coroners' office from the department's Administration Division and corrections services from the Corrections and Justice Services Division. It was organized into the branches of Policing, Community Operations and Institutional Operations. Responsibility for the division was held by an Assistant Deputy Minister, Terry Thompson, who reported to the department's Deputy Minister.

The Policing Branch was responsible for provincial policing services, administration of the federal Firearms Control Program, the Chief Coroner's office and its network of coroners throughout the province, and the licensing of private investigators and security guards. It negotiated and administered contracts with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) for police services delivered from 115 detachments in the province. It also oversaw the Aboriginal Constable Program that provided RCMP services to First Nations communities.

The Community Operations Branch was responsible for the administration of corrections programs and services aimed at protecting society while providing probation and alternative rehabilitation measures to offenders outside the confines of a correctional facility. Probation programs and services were delivered primarily by probation officers staffed at regional offices throughout the province. The two key functions of probation officers were to prepare pre-sentence reports and to supervise offenders on probation. Other community-based corrections programs administered by the branch included: the Intensive Probation Supervision / Electronic Monitoring Program; Intensive Community Program; Fine Option Program; Community Service Order Program; Bail Verification and Supervision Program; the Restitution Program; Volunteers in Probation; program and the Impaired Driver's Treatment Program.

The Institutional Operations Branch was responsible for the administration of corrections facilities and programs for the custody and care of adult offenders sentenced to terms of less than two years. Provincial correctional centres were located at Regina, Saskatoon, Prince Albert (all for male offenders) and at the Pine Grove (Women's) Centre in Prince Albert. The branch also operated a community correctional centre at North Battleford for offenders serving terms of less than four months. The division's northern region administered a small community correctional centre at Buffalo Narrows for low to medium-risk offenders residing in the far north of the province. Programs offered to offenders while in custody included: vocational and academic training; group activities and recreation; medical and dental services; counselling; and family therapy. Parole services were coordinated by the institutions in cooperation with the National Parole Board. Community training residences offered residence and rehabilitation opportunities for low-risk offenders and probationers through employment, academic and vocational training, counselling, and addictions treatment. Correctional camps were located primarily at provincial parks throughout the province where low-risk offenders lived and worked while serving their terms. Administrative Release Programs included the Work Incentive, Conditional Release and Institutional Fine Option programs.

The Solicitor General Division of the Department of Justice was discontinued in 1993 as a result of a departmental reorganization. Responsibility for corrections was transferred to the department's newly-established Corrections Division, while all other responsibilities were transferred to the newly-established Policing and Security Services Division.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Municipal Affairs. Northern Settlers' Re-establishment Branch

  • GA 60
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1935-1945

In the early 1930s, the Depression and drought forced many farmers from the southern areas of the province to move to northern Saskatchewan's drought-free forest fringe areas, which were being opened for farming. Urban residents were also encouraged to move north to establish farms by municipalities and provincial programs responsible for relief payments. An estimated 45,000 people migrated north between 1930 and 1936. As they were unfamiliar with northern farming conditions, most settlers were not able to survive without government assistance.

The Northern Settlers' Re-establishment Branch (NSRB) was established under the Department of Municipal Affairs in September 1935 to consolidate assistance programs administered by several departments. The branch provided assistance to settlers in the hopes of establishing self-supporting agricultural communities. The branch's activities including extending credit for breaking land, building farms, and buying livestock; providing direct relief to settlers to improve their land for subsistence farming; organizing community infrastructure projects, such as group building of schools, homes, roads and drainage systems; buying caterpillar tractors and other equipment for breaking land and building roads; organizing agricultural education programs; relocating farmers; converting unsuitable farm land back to public land; building roads; and braking and draining usable land.

The branch was initially supervised by a commissioner. Duties of field staff included administering the Local Improvement Districts in the north, thereby performing similar functions to those of municipalities in the south. Branch personnel were responsible for ensuring that beneficiaries sufficiently demonstrated that they were working on their farms and the community projects. In 1936, the activities of the branch were placed under the direction of the newly created Northern Settlers' Re-establishment Board, consisting of three members, one of whom served as chair. In April 1937, the board was rescinded and direction of the branch was returned to the commissioner.

The NSRB was renamed the Northern Areas Branch in 1940. On February 1, 1945, the Northern Areas Branch was consolidated with the southern local improvement district office to form the Local Improvement Districts Branch of the Department of Municipal Affairs. The amalgamation was carried out in order to provide more uniform service and administration to residents of local improvement districts.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Natural Resources. Extension Services Branch

  • GA 110
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1972-1974

In 1972, the Department of Natural Resources underwent a major reorganization. The Conservation Information Branch; the Museum of Natural History; and the Hunter Safety Program were amalgamated to form the new Extension Services Branch. The branch's primary mandate was to educate the public on the management and utilization of Saskatchewan's renewable resources including fish, timber, and wildlife. The branch was managed by a director, who reported to the associate deputy minister.

The Conservation Information Service was responsible for public education and awareness. The division's activities included: preparing and distributing promotional materials and informational items, including pamphlets, guides, stickers, special publications and "The Resource Report", a weekly collection of press releases and articles featuring departmental activities; operating telephone information lines in Regina, Moose Jaw, Saskatoon and Prince Albert; organizing advertising campaigns; assisting with special events; and producing news programs for radio and television, including the "Northern News" radio program broadcast from Prince Albert to all northern areas.

The Museum of Natural History hosted visitors at its permanent facility in Regina; offered various public education programs; designed, created and installed interpretive displays in provincial parks, recreation areas and regional parks; conducted archaeological research; and administered the provincial historic sites program.

The Hunter Safety Program, formerly under the jurisdiction of the department's Wildlife Branch, offered training on the proper handling of firearms and ammunition, safe hunting practices, game identification and field survival. The program, taught by volunteer instructors and administered with the co-operation of the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, was offered to schools, community groups, armed forced cadet leagues and other interested parties. The program's supervisors were located in Regina and Prince Albert.

In 1973, the Hunter Safety Program was renamed the Firearm Safety Program. The Extension Services Branch became responsible for standardizing the department's visual identity through the design, planning and production of displays, printed materials, signs, promotional items and advertising. The "Northern News" radio program was transferred to the newly established Department of Northern Saskatchewan and was produced from La Ronge. On April 1, 1974, the Department of Natural Resources and the Tourist Branch of the Department of Industry and Commerce were amalgamated to form the Department of Tourism and Renewable Resources. The Extension Services Branch continued to operate in the new department with a modified structure and mandate.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Northern Saskatchewan. Social Services Branch

  • GA 151
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1974-1982

In the months following the establishment of the Department of Northern Saskatchewan (D.N.S.) in May 1972, responsibility for social services programs to the province's Northern Administration District was transferred from the Department of Social Services. A Social Services Division was organized under the Operations Branch of the D.N.S. during the 1972-1973 fiscal year. Regional offices were established at Uranium City, La Ronge, Buffalo Narrows and Creighton, and a temporary office was located at Meadow Lake. Program delivery in the areas of public assistance, child welfare and probation commenced. For the 1973-1974 fiscal year, a Social Services Division existed as part of the Health and Social Development Branch. Despite the change in organizational structure, there was no alteration to the programs and services offered. A permanent regional office at Green Lake replaced the temporary location at Meadow Lake.

By the 1974-1975 fiscal year, a Social Services Branch was established. For the duration of its existence, the branch focused on the program areas of public assistance; child and family welfare; corrections; community services. Programs and services continued to be delivered through the network of regional offices, which included a sixth office at La Loche by 1975.

Public assistance was offered through the Saskatchewan Assistance Plan and Old Age Social Security Assistance. Child and family welfare services included: child protection; foster homes and child care centres; adoption services; day care centres; assistance to unmarried mothers; and administration of putative father cases. Community recreation centres were established in 1974. Additional community services introduced by the branch included: the Services to the Elderly Program (by 1980 known as the Northern Home Care Program); the Employment Support Program; and rehabilitation programs for residents with alcohol dependency. Corrections initiatives included: probation supervision and programs; the supervision of parolees from federal institutions living in the north; a probation hostel located at Potato Lake; and community corrections centres at Besnard Lake and Buffalo Narrows which opened in 1981 and 1982, respectively.

The Social Services Branch existed until 1982, when responsibility for social services was transferred back to the Department of Social Services. The Department of Northern Saskatchewan was disestablished in 1984.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Public Health. Psychiatric Services Branch

  • GA 65
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1950-1974

On April 1, 1950, the Division of Mental Services in the Department of Public Health was reorganized into the Psychiatric Services Branch, with Dr. D.G. McKerracher named as director. The branch's original mandate included administering psychiatric hospitals, training schools and psychiatric short-term treatment units in general hospitals and administering community psychiatric services, including mental health clinics and providing teacher-psychologists to consult on mental health issues in schools.

In 1950, the branch was responsible for two psychiatric hospitals (North Battleford and Weyburn), the Saskatchewan Training School (Weyburn), one psychiatric ward (Munroe Wing, Regina General Hospital), two full time mental health clinics (Regina, Saskatoon) and six part-time mental health clinics (Moose Jaw, Weyburn, Yorkton, Swift Current, North Battleford and Prince Albert). Two teacher-psychologists were added in 1950, bringing the provincial total to seven, located at Weyburn, Swift Current, Moose Jaw, Saskatoon, Prince Albert, North Battleford and Yorkton.

In the early 1950's, the branch expanded its mandate to include the provision of training programs for its professional staff in all institutions. A psychiatric research program was also established. Research was conducted in the various psychiatric institutions and focused primarily on schizophrenia, senility, anxiety and depression, and alcoholism. In 1955, the Research Unit headquarters were transferred from the Munroe Wing at the Regina General Hospital to University Hospital, Saskatoon.

Around 1964, the branch adopted a regional approach to the delivery of its programs and services. The province was divided into three regions (Yorkton, Southern and Northern), each overseen by a regional director with staff of various disciplines offering a range of psychiatric services to the population in that area. By the late 1960's there were eight psychiatric regions (Moose Jaw, Saskatoon, Prince Albert, Weyburn, North Battleford, Yorkton, Regina and Swift Current).

Around 1970, the branch director and deputy director became known as the executive director and associate director.

In 1972, the psychiatric nursing training program was transferred to the Department of Continuing Education. On December 1, 1972, all programs for mentally challenged individuals, including the training schools at Prince Albert and Moose Jaw, were transferred to the newly organized Core Services Administration within the Department of Social Services.

By 1974, the branch continued to offer services to the eight psychiatric regions. It was responsible for administering the Saskatchewan Hospital, North Battleford, five psychiatric wards in hospitals (Saskatoon, Regina, Moose Jaw, Yorkton and Prince Albert), eight full time mental health clinics and 39 part-time clinics. Psychiatric research continued to be centered out of University Hospital, Saskatoon.

On July 1, 1974, the Department of Public Health was renamed the Department of Health. The Psychiatric Services Branch continued to operate in the new department.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Public Works. Local Improvement Branch

  • GA 100
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1905-1908

In 1905, the province of Saskatchewan was created. The Department of Public Works, created in 1897 under the territorial government, was continued under the new provincial government. By 1906, the department had eleven branches, including the Local Improvement Branch.

In 1905, most of the settled land in Saskatchewan was organized into Local Improvement Districts (LID). Smaller local improvement districts were governed by a regularly elected council of approximately four members, each of whom represented a division of the district. The council appointed a secretary-treasurer to assess and collect taxes for the district and forward the monies to the Local Improvement Branch. In large local improvement districts, taxes were assessed and collected directly by the Branch. Branch personnel assisted in the organization of villages and small local improvement districts; received and issued receipts; accounted for payments in their records; and issued tax certificates.

On November 1, 1908, the newly created Department of Municipal Affairs assumed all of the functions performed by the Local Improvement Branch of the Department of Public Works.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Revenue, Supply and Services. Operations Division

  • GA 113
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1978-1983

The Operations Division of the Department of Revenue, Supply and Services was managed by an executive director with directors/supervisors at the branch/agency level. The division originally consisted of eight branches and agencies as follows: Administration Branch; Central Vehicle Agency; Mail and Telecommunications Branch; Office Services Agency; Personnel and Training Branch; Purchasing Agency; Queen's Printer; and Supply Agency.

The primary responsibilities of the Operations Division included: supplying and maintaining ground and air vehicles; operating the Saskatchewan Air Ambulance Program; operating the mail and messenger service between government offices; providing central services in photocopying, duplicating and bindery; acquiring goods and services through the tender process and the disposal of surplus goods; operating a stockroom to supply common office supplies to government; and distributing acts and publications.

Around 1980, the Personnel and Training Branch and the Administration Branch were transferred to the department's Administrative Services Division. Around 1982, the Photographic Services Agency, which provided photography and darkroom services to government and maintained a complete photographic library, was transferred from Executive Council, Information Services Branch to the Operations Division.

In 1983, the Department of Revenue, Supply and Services was reorganized into two new departments: the Department of Revenue and Financial Services and the Department of Supply and Services. The functions of the Operations Division were assumed by the Commercial Services Division of the new Department of Supply and Services.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Social Services. Community and Personal Services Division

  • GA 130
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1979-1980

Established in 1979, the Community and Personal Services Division of the Department of Social Services provided services and programs to strengthen and support individual and family life in Saskatchewan. The division was organized into three branches: Core Services Branch; Home Care and Senior Citizens Branch; and Family and Community Services Branch.

The Core Services Branch was responsible for providing services to mentally challenged persons and for supporting the non-governmental organizations that offered complementary services. Community residential programs such as approved homes, group homes, training homes and semi-independent living settings offered care with an aim of clients functioning as independently as possible. The Community Resource Home and Outreach Program provided respite services to clients' families. The Valley View Centre in Moose Jaw and the North Park Centre in Prince Albert provided residential facilities for long-term care and programming. As well, the branch was responsible for the administration of activity centres and sheltered workshops throughout the province.

The Home Care and Senior Citizens Branch was organized into two sections: Senior Citizens and Home Care. The Senior Citizens Section was responsible for the planning and development of special-care homes, for the provision of subsidies to all residents of special-care homes, and for the licensing of low-income housing units for seniors. The section also established a Regulations Review Committee to review regulations pursuant to The Housing and Special-care Homes Act. The Home Care Section was responsible for the organization of district home care boards that provided home care service. Services delivered by the boards included nursing, homemaking, meals, home maintenance, and physical and occupational therapy. The section also coordinated with non-governmental agencies and senior care centres to provide services and to promote independence in seniors.

The Family and Community Services Branch was organized into three sections: Family and Youth Services Section; Day Care Section; and Community Services Section. The Family and Youth Services Section operated under the authority of The Family Services Act, The Unified Family Court Act, The Children of Unmarried Parents Act, and the federal Juvenile Delinquents Act. The section provided protection for children from families struggling to care for them in the form of counselling and foster care. Adoption services were provided through ward agreements and through the REACH (Resources for the Adoption of Children) program. Four child care facilities (Saskatchewan Boys' Centre, Roy Wilson Centre, Dales House, Kilburn Hall) along with several non-governmental agencies provided care for troubled youth. As well, the section provided juvenile offender services. The Day Care Section administered grants and monitored the standards of a variety of day care services throughout the province. The section encouraged involvement of parents in decision-making on the provision of services, and promoted public awareness about day care services. The Community Services Section administered grants and monitored the standards, financial operations and licenses of non-governmental social services organizations.

As a result of re-organization in 1980, child and youth services became the responsibility of the department's Regional Services Division, and seniors and home care services became the responsibility of the Continuing Care Division. All core services, day care and community services remained the responsibility of the Community and Personal Services Division.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Social Services. Corrections Division

  • GA 142
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1972-1983

The Corrections Division of the Department of Social Services was established on October 1, 1972 as part of a departmental reorganization. Creation of the division stemmed from the recommendations of the 1971 Saskatchewan Corrections Study Committee that all correctional services be integrated into one organizational unit. Personnel responsible for the division included a director of corrections, a chief probation officer, a director of community corrections and an institutional planner. The director of corrections reported to the department's deputy minister.

The key functional areas of the division were correctional centres, probation programs and community corrections programs. At its establishment, the division was responsible for the administration of correctional centres at Regina (which housed male offenders from southern Saskatchewan), at Prince Albert (those from northern Saskatchewan) and at the Pine Grove Centre in Prince Albert (female offenders from all of Saskatchewan). The department's Northern Regional Office also administered small correctional facilities at Buffalo Narrows, Creighton and Besnard Lake for low to medium-risk offenders residing in the far north of the province. A new provincial correctional centre opened in Saskatoon in 1981, as did a replacement facility for men in Prince Albert. A community correctional centre was established in North Battleford in 1980.

Typically, offenders housed at these correctional facilities were serving: sentences of less than two years; were remanded while awaiting trial or sentencing; or were sentenced to federal penitentiaries but were awaiting decision from the Court of Appeal. The larger correctional centres at Regina, Prince Albert and Saskatoon were organized into three function-based areas: custody; treatment; and support services (laundry, kitchen, clerical, etc.). Treatment and rehabilitation programs offered to offenders while in custody included: work camps; vocational and academic training; group activities and recreation; medical and dental services; counselling; family therapy; and allowances for temporary absences. Parole services were coordinated by the institutions in cooperation with the National Parole Board.

Probation programs and services were delivered primarily by probation officers staffed at regional offices throughout the province. The two key functions of probation officers were to prepare pre-sentence reports and to supervise offenders on probation. The preparation of pre-sentence reports involved investigation into the circumstances leading to the offence, assessment of the offender to determine a personality profile, and establishment of a rehabilitation program for the offender. This program was then monitored as part of the supervision of the offender during the period of probation.

Various probation programs and services were established by the division, including: the Indian Probation Office Program (1975); Volunteers in Probation (1976); probation hostels (1980); attendance centres (1980); and the Impaired Driver's Treatment Program (1980). These programs were aimed at diversifying the opportunities for offenders on probation to rehabilitate, thus avoiding further offences.

Community corrections offered programs and services that protected society while providing rehabilitation opportunities to offenders, often outside the confines of a correctional facility. The Community Training Residence program offered residence and rehabilitation opportunities for low-risk offenders through employment, academic and vocational training, counselling, and addictions treatment from a variety of community resources. The Fine Option Program was established in 1975 as a means for offenders to work off fines through volunteer service at community agencies rather than face incarceration for non-payment of fines. The Bail Verification and Supervision Program, introduced in 1982, assisted courts in determining which offenders could be released under surety or supervision while awaiting trial. Also introduced in 1982, the Restitution Program provided an alternative measure for property crime offenders to reimburse their victims the monetary value of the damage or loss from their crime rather than being incarcerated.

The Corrections Division of the Department of Social Services was discontinued on April 30, 1983 upon the establishment of the Department of Justice. Responsibilities of the division were transferred to the Corrections Division of the new department.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Social Services. Family Services Division

  • GA 156
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1988-1992

Established in 1988, the Family Services Division of the Department of Social Services provided child, family and youth social services by authority of The Family Services Act. Programs and services were delivered through a network of twenty-three regional offices throughout the province. The division also oversaw provisions of service by non-governmental organizations that supplemented or complemented services provided by the department. The division reported to the Assistant Deputy Minister of the department.

Family services included child protection, teen parent and unmarried mother services, adoption, foster care, and family violence services. Child protection services investigated into all reports of child abuse or neglect. Subsequent measures included counselling, referral and supportive services or the removal of a child from the home. Teen parent and unmarried mother services provided information, referrals, counselling, and pre-natal and post-natal support services, as well as services for single mothers seeking to place children for adoption. Adoption services were responsible for the recruitment, screening, preparation and selection of adoptive families for children in need of placement, as well as facilitating private, step-parent, and international adoptions. The foster home program provided substitute family environments for children in need of temporary or permanent placement. Responsibility for children in foster care was shared between the department and the foster parents in the program. Family violence services were provided by departmental staff and by non-governmental organizations and included crisis accommodation, crisis intervention, counselling and family support.

Responsibilities of the Family Services Division, along with those of the Young Offenders Division, were amalgamated in 1992 to form the Family and Youth Services Division of the Department of Social Services.

Results 31 to 40 of 94