Affichage de 563 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Collectivité

Saskatoon Gallery and Conservatory Corporation, 1967-

  • PA 151
  • Collectivité
  • 1967-

In the early 1960s, Frederick (Fred) Mendel, the founder of Intercontinental Packers Ltd., a meat processing company in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, approached City of Saskatoon Mayor Sidney L. Buckwold to discuss the building of a civic art gallery. Mendel donated $175,000 to the City of Saskatoon, with additional funding provided by the Province of Saskatchewan. A location for the gallery was chosen at 950 Spadina Crescent East, along the South Saskatchewan River. The Mendel Art Gallery was opened to the public on October 16, 1964. The Saskatoon Gallery and Conservatory Corporation was incorporated as a non-profit corporation to operate the Mendel Art Gallery on January 31, 1967.

The mandate of the Saskatoon Gallery and Conservatory Corporation is the exhibition, interpretation and collection of art. Its activities include collecting, displaying, and preserving artwork in Saskatoon, developing permanent and temporary exhibitions, and conducting public and school programs. The Corporation is supported by donations and grants from the City of Saskatoon, The Canada Council and the Governments of Saskatchewan and Canada.

The Saskatoon Gallery and Conservatory Corporation is currently (2010) governed by a board of directors and an executive consisting of a chairman, past-chair, treasurer, secretary, and three trustees. The Corporation also currently has seventeen paid employees, fifty voting members, and about four hundred honorary, non-voting members.

Pyroil Company, [193-?]-1958

  • PA 527
  • Collectivité
  • 1930-1958

The Pyroil Company was an American manufacturing company founded by W.V. Kidder in the early 1930s. Based in La Crosse, Wisconsin, the company manufactured heat resistant lubricants for internal combustion engines including automobiles, airplanes, tractors, marine vehicles and machinery and equipment. The company's products were distributed in Canada. Carey C. Purinton distributed the products in Saskatchewan from the early 1930s to the early 1960s. The company advertised in Saskatchewan on radio and in print and erected displays at the yearly provincial exhibitions in Regina and Saskatoon. In 1958, the Pyroil Company merged with Kleen-Pak Corporation of West Salem, Illinois.

Saskatoon Heritage Society, 1978-

  • PA 157
  • Collectivité
  • 1978-

On June 10, 1976, a group of approximately forty people met in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to establish the Saskatoon Heritage Society. A formal constitution was adopted on October 21, 1976. The Society was incorporated as a non-profit charitable corporation on April 24, 1978. The objectives of the Saskatoon Heritage Society are to preserve the buildings, neighbourhoods, and sites in Saskatoon which are of historic or aesthetic value and to encourage interest in the region's historic heritage. The Society advocates for heritage issues; acts as a forum for heritage concerns; produces a quarterly newsletter (the Gargoyle) and annual journal (The Saskatoon History Review); provides tour guides for historical walks; and organizes public lectures and workshops on heritage topics.

The first executive of the Society consisted of a president (Don Kerr); a vice-president (John Duerkopp); a treasurer (Ruth Robinson) and nine directors. The current (2010) executive consists of directors; a president; a past president; a vice-president; a treasurer; and a secretary. The Society currently meets on the fourth Thursday of each month. Categories of memberships offered are: senior citizen; student; individual; family and corporate.

Wm. Pearson Co., Ltd., 1906-1925

  • PA 471
  • Collectivité
  • 1906-1925

The William Pearson Company, Limited was originally established in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1906 with William Pearson as the majority shareholder, along with other investors forming the board of directors. The company registered offices in Saskatchewan under the Foreign Companies Act on March 31, 1906 and in Minnesota at a later date. The company's purpose was to acquire land or any interest in land, to make and give mortgages and deeds of security for land, to purchase real estate, and to buy or sell agricultural products. In Saskatchewan, the company's primary goal was to settle the Last Mountain Valley and Qu'Appelle with American settlers. Margaret E. Pearson, wife of William Pearson, transferred the land to the Company. During its operation in Saskatchewan, the company was alternately known as "Wm. Pearson Co., Ltd", "Wm. Pearson Company Limited", "Last Mountain Valley Land and Development Co.", and "Pearson, Son and Company."

Several poor crop years led the company to become in arrears on its taxes. By the mid-1920s, there was not enough land to continue the corporate registration, so the William Pearson Company was dissolved and struck off the register of joint stock companies in Saskatchewan on June 6, 1925. The company continued its operations in Manitoba and Minnesota until at least 1958 under the names William Pearson Company, Limited; Pearson, Son & Co.; and Middle West Land Company.

The Estevan National Exhibition Centre Inc., 1978-

  • PA 478
  • Collectivité
  • 1978-

The Estevan National Exhibition Centre Inc. was a non-profit corporation incorporated in Saskatchewan on February 2, 1978. The corporation operated the Estevan National Exhibition Centre, a museum and art gallery in Estevan. The main building, with two gallery exhibition spaces, was constructed in 1977 and located at 118 4th Street. Funding for the construction of the building was provided by the National Museums of Canada, the Government of Saskatchewan, the City of Estevan, and private individuals and corporations. The corporation was governed by a volunteer board of directors with staff managing the daily operations of the facility. The first director of the Centre was Edward Krahn, a trained museologist.

The Centre was part of a national chain of Canadian museums that aimed to bring artistic, cultural, historical and scientific displays to small communities across Canada. The Centre hosted travelling exhibitions from Canada and around the world and hosted creative workshops and classes, art appreciation lectures and receptions. The first exhibition, the First Annual Moose Mountain Regional Art Show, opened in January 1978. In 1985, a North West Mounted Police barracks from the 1890s was acquired by the Centre and placed adjacent to the main building. The barracks housed local artifacts that depicted the history of the NWMP in the Estevan area.

On February 20, 2001, the corporation changed its name to Estevan Art Gallery and Museum Inc. The organization currently (2010) continues to operate the Estevan Art Gallery and Museum at 118 4th Street. The corporation continues to be governed by a board of directors. Current staff include a director/curator and a gallery educator.

Lady Patronesses of the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital, 1907-1972

  • PA 504
  • Collectivité
  • 1907-1972

The first meeting of the Lady Patronesses of the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital occurred at the Regina Hospital in 1907. The purpose of the meeting was to form an auxiliary to assist the Sisters of Charity, Grey Nuns of Montreal in their work at the Regina Hospital (later renamed Grey Nuns' Hospital) and to create good public relations. The organization's first executive was comprised of Mrs. D. Murphy - president; Mrs. T.J. Bennett - secretary; and Mrs. T.J. Edwards - treasurer. The initial membership of the auxiliary was thirty-two. Meetings were held every two months at the homes of members or at the Grey Nuns' Hospital.

In its early history, the auxiliary organized fundraising projects such as quilting bees, card parties, teas, suppers, concerts, flower sales, fashion shows and tag days. Funds raised assisted the city's needy and helped furnish the hospital. Public relations were fostered through "Hospital Days" held every May 12th as an opportunity for the public to tour the hospital. The Patronesses also assisted the Sisters during the official opening of the hospital's cancer clinic on November 15, 1939, with donations of clothing, financial aid and time spent with patients.

Through the 1940s and 1950, the Patronesses continued their charitable work. The organization became a member of the Community Chest, with funds allotted from the Chest supporting the Patronesses occupational therapy program at the hospital. This program offered the opportunity for patients to work with leather goods and other handcrafts as a means of therapy. The Patronesses also focused additional funds to the children's ward. As well, they supported the war effort with the sale of War Savings Stamps, assistance with the Hostess Club for Soldiers and participation in Red Cross Drives. It was also during this period that the executive drafted its first constitution.

In the mid-1960s, the name of the organization was changed to Ladies' Auxiliary, Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital. The function and programs of the organization remained the same until 1972 when the South Saskatchewan Hospital Centre assumed responsibility of the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital from the Sisters of Charity, and the hospital was renamed Pasqua Hospital.

Saskatchewan Auxiliary Territorial Service, 1940-1979

  • PA 511
  • Collectivité
  • 1940-1979

The Saskatchewan Auxiliary Territorial Service was a non-profit organization in Regina, Saskatchewan incorporated under the provisions of the Benevolent Societies Act on November 1, 1940. The club was a women's civilian volunteer service established to assist in the war effort. During World War II, the club provided various forms of assistance and raised money through activities such as ushering at public events and canvassing for funds. All members were required to wear uniforms when working on behalf of the organization. All members received training in military drills, Morse code, map reading, and first aid.

After the War ended, the club changed its focus and became a community service club. Its activities included donating money, clothing, toys, and recreational equipment to various organizations and visiting veterans and children at Regina hospitals and in Fort San, the sanitorium near Fort Qu'Appelle. The club's original military-style uniform was updated to consist of a red blazer, black skirt and black beret. The club's executive officers included a president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer.

The Club disbanded in 1978 due to declining membership and was officially dissolved on July 17, 1979.

College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan, 1906-

  • PA 533
  • Collectivité
  • 1906-

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of the Province of Saskatchewan was established in 1906 as a corporate body under The Medical Profession Act (S.S. 1906, c. 28) to administer and oversee the registration, licensing and discipline of medical practitioners in Saskatchewan. All members in good standing of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of the North-West Territories were registered under the provisions of the new College. The College's first registrar was appointed by the Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan. A council of the College was comprised of one elected member from seven electoral districts within the province. Within the council, members annually elected a president, vice-president and an executive committee of at least three members. The council was responsible for the appointment of the registrar and of other members to carry out, through various committees, the provisions of the Act.

In January 1934, a special legislative committee appointed by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan and the Saskatchewan Medical Association examined the possibility of a merger between the two bodies for the purposes of conducting business with governments and professional bodies in other jurisdictions. The two bodies merged in September 1936 and adopted the name of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan; however, the former Saskatchewan Medical Association was renamed the Saskatchewan Division, Canadian Medical Association. Internally, each body maintained distinct and separate organizational structures, though many members served on committees for both. By the mid-1960s, the Saskatchewan Division looked to re-organize into an independent body and in October 1966, delegates at its annual meeting adopted a resolution to re-establish the Saskatchewan Medical Association.

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan continues (2012) as a self-regulating body responsible for the licensing and discipline of medical practitioners and for developing and ensuring the standards of medical practice in Saskatchewan. Its council consists of twelve elected physicians, five non-medical members and the Dean of Medicine of the University of Saskatchewan or his/her designate. An executive committee is comprised of a president, vice-president, one non-medical member and two members elected at large. Members also serve on various committees established through the College's bylaws. The College's head office is located in Saskatoon.

Regina Folk Festival Inc., ca. 1969-

  • PA 548
  • Collectivité
  • 1964-

The Regina Guild of Folk Music was established ca. 1969 in Regina, Saskatchewan with the organization of the first Regina Folk Festival, held at the University of Saskatchewan, Regina Campus. From the Festival, interest grew to establish a society aimed at promoting folk music in Regina. Soon after, the organization was formally established as the Regina Guild of Folk Arts and by 1975 was registered as a non-profit corporation with the Government of Saskatchewan.

In the 1970s, in addition to an annual folk festival, the Guild's board and staff organized folk music concerts throughout the year, referred to as "coffeehouses". In the 1980s, these events subsequently evolved into a concert series which featured performances by various artists. In 1985, the Regina Folk Festival was relocated to Victoria Park in downtown Regina, where it has been located annually since. Throughout its history, events organized by the Guild have been funded through ticket sales, membership fees, grants, fundraising campaigns, volunteer in-kind contributions and individual and corporate sponsorship.

In 2006, by a vote of its membership, the Regina Guild of Folk Arts Inc. changed its name to Regina Folk Festival Inc. and amended its name accordingly with the Government of Saskatchewan's corporate registry. Currently (2013), the organization is governed by a board of twelve directors. The board's executive consists of five directors. The organization also employs a staff of seven, including its artistic director, Sandra Butel. Its business office is located in downtown Regina.

Live Wire Video Productions Inc., 1993-

  • PA 552
  • Collectivité
  • 1993-

Live Wire Film & Video was a film and video production company owned and operated by Susan Risk in Regina, Saskatchewan. The company was incorporated on October 13, 1988 and dissolved on October 13, 1991.

Live Wire Video Productions Inc. was incorporated on July 26, 1993. Owned and operated by Susan Risk, the Regina-based company produced documentaries, promotional features and features on women in the trades and technology sector. The company's credits include Telling Trade Secrets (1998); Near to Nature's Heart (2001) and Grassland Transfer (2004). The company's status on the Saskatchewan corporate registry was active as of 2015.

Résultats 31 à 40 sur 563