Affichage de 7574 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Unity (Sask.), 1919-

  • LGA 62
  • Local Government
  • 1919-

The Town of Unity is an urban municipality in west central Saskatchewan incorporated on November 1, 1919. Unity is located 90 kilometres south-west of the Battlefords and 200 kilometres west of the City of Saskatoon. Its exact geographical location is NW18-40-22-W3. Located in the Rural Municipality of Round Valley No. 410, Unity is believed to have been named after Unity, Wisconsin, the original home of many of the early settlers in the Unity district.

The town is governed by a council consisting of a mayor and at least two councillors, each elected for a three year term. The goals of the council are to provide good government; provide necessary services and facilities for all or part of the municipality; develop and maintain a safe and viable community; and foster economic, social and environmental well-being. The council holds jurisdiction over police and fire protection; water and sewer utilities; parks and recreation and waste management.

The council makes decisions and exercises its power through the passage of resolutions and bylaws. Bylaws enforced by council include those relating to building; wild and domestic animals; nuisances; transport and transportation systems; streets and roads; businesses and business activities; signs and zoning. Council is also responsible for the collection of revenues; issuing of tax and assessment notices; administration of the operating and capital budgets and preparation of annual financial statements.

The Town of Unity is currently (2009) administered by a mayor, six councillors, and an administrator (previously known as the town clerk). The administrator oversees the day to day operations of the municipality, advises on policy and ensures council policies are carried out. The council currently holds regular meetings open to the public on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Social Services. Family Support Division

  • GA 132
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1983-1988

Established in 1983, the Family Support Division of the Department of Social Services provided child, family and youth social services by authority of The Family Services Act and Regulations and the federal Juvenile Delinquents Act. (after April 1984, the Young Offenders Act). Programs and services were delivered through a network of twenty-four service delivery units throughout the province. The division also oversaw provisions of service by non-governmental organizations that supplemented or complemented services provided by the department. The division reported to the Assistant Deputy Minister of the department, and was organized into two sections: Child and Family Services and Youth Services.

Child and Family Services included child protection, single parent services, adoption and foster care. Child protection services investigated into all reports of child abuse or neglect. Subsequent measures included counselling, referral and supportive services or the removal of a child from the home. Single parent services provided information, referrals, counselling, and pre-natal and post-natal support services, as well as services for single mothers seeking to place children for adoption. In addition, services were expanded to focus on teen parents. Adoption services were responsible for the recruitment, screening, preparation and selection of adoptive families for children in need of placement, as well as facilitating private and step-parent adoptions. In addition, the REACH (Resources for the Adoption of Children) program coordinated adoptions for children with special needs and circumstances. The Foster Home Program provided substitute family environments for children in need of temporary or permanent placement. Responsibility for children in foster care was shared between the department and the foster parents in the program.

Youth Services included young offenders services and residential services. Young offenders services administered cases of juvenile offenders in the justice system. Services offered were consistent with the Act, and included Alternative Measures (non-judicial mediation), Community Options (judicial interim release, community homes, day programs, community service orders, personal service orders, fines, compensation, and probation), and Custody Options (remand, open custody and secure custody.) Residential services were provided from four child care facilities: Saskatchewan Boys' Centre (renamed Paul Dojack Centre in 1985), Roy Wilson Centre, Dales House and Kilburn Hall, from purchased residential care from three non-governmental organizations and from government-funded group homes and receiving homes throughout the province.

As a result of a departmental re-organization in 1985, child and family services renamed the responsibility of the Family Support Division, while a separate division was created for young offender services. A subsequent re-organization in 1988 had responsibilities of the Family Support Division transferred to the Family Services Division.

Rural Municipality of Prairie Rose No. 309, 1910-

  • LGA 70
  • Local Government
  • 1910-

The Rural Municipality of Prairie Rose No. 309 of Saskatchewan was incorporated on December 12, 1910 pursuant to the Rural Municipalities Act (S.S. 1908-09, c.6). The first reeve elected was E. G. Fisher. The first councilors were R. Copeland, William Smalley, J. Langelle, George Postier, Fred Ceal, and William Davidson. The first secretary-treasurer was Robert Graham. The municipality, located southeast of Saskatoon, encompasses the village of Jansen and the hamlet of Esk. It serves the area located in ranges 19, 20 and 21, townships 31, 32, and 33, west of the second meridian. It was named by Mr. Jansen after the roses that grew in the area.

The municipal office is located in Jansen. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councilors and an administrator, previously known as the secretary-treasurer. Their responsibilities include passing by-laws, maintaining cemeteries, collecting taxes, assisting in maintaining hospitals and roads and preventing cruelty to animals. The Council meets once per month.

The population in the rural municipality has declined over time. In 1910, there were 452 residents. The population as of 2009 is 292.

Ituna (Sask.), 1910-1961

  • LGA 75
  • Local Government
  • 1910-1961

The Village of Ituna was an urban municipality in east central Saskatchewan. It was incorporated on May 30, 1910 in accordance with The Village Act. The village was located 55 kilometres north west of Melville and was situated on three provincial highways (nos. 15, 52 and 310) and the Canadian National Railways mainline between Winnipeg, Manitoba and Saskatoon. The name of the village was believed to be chosen by engineers of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. The village was located in the Rural Municipality of Ituna Bon Accord No. 246 and served as the administrative centre of the rural municipality.

The village was governed by an elected council consisting of an overseer (later known as mayor) and councillors. The council was responsible for enforcing by-laws; waste collection and landfill; fire protection; issuing tax and assessment notices; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets and collecting taxes and other fees. The council hired staff to manage the daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreational facilities. The secretary-treasurer (later known as the clerk) was responsible for the day to day operations and ensured that council was adhering to policy.

On October 1, 1961, the status of the village was changed when it became the Town of Ituna.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Municipal Affairs. Northern Settlers' Re-establishment Branch

  • GA 60
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1935-1945

In the early 1930s, the Depression and drought forced many farmers from the southern areas of the province to move to northern Saskatchewan's drought-free forest fringe areas, which were being opened for farming. Urban residents were also encouraged to move north to establish farms by municipalities and provincial programs responsible for relief payments. An estimated 45,000 people migrated north between 1930 and 1936. As they were unfamiliar with northern farming conditions, most settlers were not able to survive without government assistance.

The Northern Settlers' Re-establishment Branch (NSRB) was established under the Department of Municipal Affairs in September 1935 to consolidate assistance programs administered by several departments. The branch provided assistance to settlers in the hopes of establishing self-supporting agricultural communities. The branch's activities including extending credit for breaking land, building farms, and buying livestock; providing direct relief to settlers to improve their land for subsistence farming; organizing community infrastructure projects, such as group building of schools, homes, roads and drainage systems; buying caterpillar tractors and other equipment for breaking land and building roads; organizing agricultural education programs; relocating farmers; converting unsuitable farm land back to public land; building roads; and braking and draining usable land.

The branch was initially supervised by a commissioner. Duties of field staff included administering the Local Improvement Districts in the north, thereby performing similar functions to those of municipalities in the south. Branch personnel were responsible for ensuring that beneficiaries sufficiently demonstrated that they were working on their farms and the community projects. In 1936, the activities of the branch were placed under the direction of the newly created Northern Settlers' Re-establishment Board, consisting of three members, one of whom served as chair. In April 1937, the board was rescinded and direction of the branch was returned to the commissioner.

The NSRB was renamed the Northern Areas Branch in 1940. On February 1, 1945, the Northern Areas Branch was consolidated with the southern local improvement district office to form the Local Improvement Districts Branch of the Department of Municipal Affairs. The amalgamation was carried out in order to provide more uniform service and administration to residents of local improvement districts.

Tate (Sask.), 1909-1961

  • LGA 82
  • Local Government
  • 1909-1961

The Village of Tate was an urban municipality incorporated in 1909, under the provisions of The Village Ordinance. The Village was governed by an elected council that could hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council included enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Village of Tate was an agricultural-based community located on the north-east corner of Section 36, Township 28, Range 21, west of the second meridian, 13 kilometres northwest of the Village of Semans in central Saskatchewan. The Village was found near Highway 15 between highways 6 and 20 and was located within the Rural Municipality of Mount Hope No. 276. The Village was named after D'Arcy Tate, solicitor for the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway.

The village was disorganized in 1961.

Rural Municipality of Swift Current No. 137, 1910-

  • LGA 85
  • Local Government
  • 1910-

The Rural Municipality of Swift Current No. 137 of Saskatchewan was incorporated on December 12, 1910 pursuant to the Rural Municipalities Act (S.S. 1908-09, c. 6). The first municipal officials elected were Cy Newell (Reeve), James Wallace, C. Stevens, W. Burnett, E.H. Dart, H. Davison, and C.H. Carefoot (Councillors). The municipality is located in southwest Saskatchewan and encompasses the area located in ranges 13, 14, and 15 and townships 13, 14, 15, and 16, west of the third meridian. The municipal office is located in the city of Swift Current.

The municipality is currently (2010) governed by an elected council comprised of a reeve and six councillors. All decisions are made by resolution or by-law. Council is assisted by an administrator, who manages the daily operations, and other staff required to maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreational facilities.

John A. Valens Family, 1873-1983

  • PA 173
  • Famille
  • 1873-1983

John Alexander Valens was born on September 4, 1873 near Lucknow, Ontario to William and Katherine (nee Walker) Valens. He was raised on a farm in Kinloss Township, Ontario. Valens remained on the family farm until the age of 18, when he left to pursue further education. He received a high school certificate in 1892, and went on to attend Model School in Kincardine. He returned to teach at his home school for several years. In 1895, he contracted asthma and left his teaching position to travel west to the Brandon, Manitoba area. There, he worked his way through medical school by teaching in several rural schools, working as a hand on local farms, and studying Latin and Greek at the collegiate in Brandon. He graduated from Manitoba Medical College in 1905.

John A. Valens practiced medicine in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan from 1906 until his retirement in 1946. He served as president of the Saskatchewan division of the Canadian Medical Association (1919-1920); as chief lecturer for the St. John's Ambulance Association; as director of the Saskatoon Cancer Clinic (1936-1944) and as the president of the council of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan (1933-1944). Valens married Lizzie Adams of Estevan, Saskatchewan in 1907. The Valens had two children: Corneil, born in 1908, and John Douglas. Lizzie Valens died in October 1918. John Douglas Valens died in an automobile accident while attending a medical conference in Idaho in 1953. Corneil married Ben Chappell and resided in Saskatoon and Winnipeg.

John A. Valens married Edna Catharine Peacock (born Aug 29,1896) in 1920. The daughter of James and Rebecca Jane (Freeland) Peacock, Edna grew up in North Cypress, Manitoba. The Valens were involved in various Saskatoon community organizations, including the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) and St. John's Ambulance, and were members of the Liberal Party of Saskatchewan. John A. Valens contested the Saskatoon City constituency in the 1921 provincial election, but was defeated. The Valens attended Knox United Church, Saskatoon, where Dr. Valens was an ordained elder.

John A. Valens was awarded an honorary life membership with the YWCA in 1949, and he served on the Canadian Medical Association Committee on Archives. He researched and authored a manuscript on the early history of medicine on the prairies during his retirement years. He died in Saskatoon on June 28, 1955. Valens Park, in Saskatoon, and Valens Lake (north-east of Uranium City) were named after him. Edna Valens died in 1983. John and Edna Valens are buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in Saskatoon.

George B.C. Sharpe Family, 1864-1975

  • PA 455
  • Famille
  • 1864-1975

George Benjamin Cubitt Sharpe was born in Ashmanhaugh, Norfolk, England on May 16, 1864 to Benjamin George and Naomi (Cooke) Sharpe. He had eight sisters and three brothers. Sharpe immigrated to Canada in 1886 and applied for a homestead on NE 20-17-25-W2, near Moose Jaw, North-West Territories (now known as Saskatchewan) on December 14, 1888. He was declared the legal owner of the land in 1893. Sharpe later moved into Moose Jaw, where he worked in various occupations, including as partner in a lumber business. Active in the local community, Sharpe served as a municipal official, was involved with the Methodist Church and was a member of the Masonic Lodge No. 3, A.F. and A.M. and Independent Order of Foresters. Sharpe died in Vancouver, British Columbia on April 30, 1949.

Georgina Reynolds was born in Ontario on August 31, 1861. She married George B.C. Sharpe in Moose Jaw on December 31, 1888. The Sharpes had two children: Ernest Wesley Cubitt (born March 1, 1891) and Walter (1894-1901). Georgina Sharpe died in Markham, Ontario on October 12, 1945. Ernest W.C. Sharpe, often referred to as Cubitt, practiced law in Vancouver. He died on December 9, 1975. He and his wife, C. Jane Devitt, did not have any children.

Luke Battersby Family, 1853-1980

  • PA 457
  • Famille
  • 1853-1980

Luke Battersby was born in England in 1853. He immigrated from Yorkshire, England to Canada around 1883 and settled in the Pheasant Forks-Duff, North-West Territories (now known as Saskatchewan) district. Around 1895, Battersby moved to the Goodeve, North-West Territories district, where he established a mixed farming and livestock operation. He was one of the first homesteaders in the Goodeve district. Battersby continued to reside in the Goodeve district until his death on April 17, 1945. He was buried in Fenwood Community Cemetery.

Luke Battersby and his wife, Isabel, had eight children: Alice; John; James; Ruth; Fanny; Robert; Thomas and Evelyn. All of the children were born in the North-West Territories (Saskatchewan). Alice, Evelyn, James, John, Robert and Thomas Battersby never married. They all were partners in Battersby Farms. Fanny was born in 1885 and married Robert Franklin on June 6, 1912 in Goodeve. The Franklins resided in the Fenwood district. Ruth, born on September 1, 1894, married Robert Johnson on December 16, 1925. The Johnsons resided on a farm in the Hubbard district and had six children: Harry, Ethel, Mae, Jane, Lucy and Alice. Isabel Battersby died in 1941 and was buried in Fenwood Community Cemetery.

The birth and death dates of five of the Battersby children are as follows: John Battersby (April 4, 1892 - June 5, 1973); Alice Battersby (March 18, 1884 - 1966); Evelyn Battersby (September 2, 1887 - March 23, 1971); James Battersby (October 21, 1899 - 1969); and Robert Battersby (August 29, 1889 - March 25, 1971).

Thomas Battersby was born on January 21, 1897 in Goodeve. He served in World War 1 and farmed in the Goodeve area until his retirement in 1973. In 1974, he donated land in the Goodeve area to the Government of Saskatchewan for a wildlife sanctuary called the Thomas Battersby Wildlife Protected Area. Battersby was a member of the Melville Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. He died in Melville on June 29, 1980 and was buried in Melville City Cemetery.

Résultats 21 à 30 sur 7574