Showing 140 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving
Local Government

Edwards School District No. 2535, 1910-1963

  • LGA 18
  • Local Government
  • 1910-1963

On February 11, 1908, ratepayers in the Dilke, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. After several revisions to the proposed boundaries, the department granted approval and the first organizational meeting was held on October 2, 1909. Only two ratepayers voted and no further action was taken at that time. On January 26, 1910, the ratepayers filed a second petition, which was approved, and a meeting was held on March 5, 1910. Seven ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a district; none was against it. Matthew Young, Casper Schuler, and O.P. Holland were elected trustees.

The Edwards School District No. 2535 was established on March 9, 1910. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; settling disputes; administering grants; maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district took its name from Charles Edwards, a pioneer rancher in the district. Five students were taught in a farmhouse by Grace Belcher before the one room school, located on NW 17-21-24-W2, was built ca.1911. Miss Nellie Cameron was the first teacher. The school was destroyed by fire on January 9, 1930 and the students were taught in an unused house moved onto the school grounds until a new school opened in the fall of 1930.

The school closed in June, 1954 and the students were conveyed to other districts. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Edwards School District No. 2535 joined the Regina School Unit No. 21 on November 20, 1963.

Rereshill School District No. 4171, 1919-1951

  • LGA 16
  • Local Government
  • 1919-1951

In May, 1918, ratepayers in the Lashburn, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. After the department revised the boundaries of the proposed district, a second petition was filed and approved. The first organizational meeting was held on January 18, 1919. Fourteen ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district; one ratepayer was against it. William Bradley, Thomas Plewman and Lewis Howells were elected trustees.

Rereshill School District No. 4171 was established on April 16, 1919. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district name was suggested by district resident George Stewart, whose former home in Scotland was near a hill called Rereshill. The one room school, located at SE 3-47-26-W3, was opened on April 1, 1920 with Mrs. Ena Morgan as teacher. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Rereshill School District joined the Lloydminster School Unit No. 60 on November 28, 1951. The school closed in 1959 and the students were conveyed to other districts.

Little Bluff School District No. 387, 1895-1953

  • LGA 17
  • Local Government
  • 1895-1953

Around 1895, ratepayers in the Moosomin district petitioned the Council of Public Instruction of the North-West Territories for the formation of a school district. The petition was approved and the first organizational meeting was held on May 16, 1895. J.B. Crosson, William Wood and Arthur Draper were elected trustees. The Little Bluff Public School District No. 387 was established on September 9, 1895.

The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district boundaries were altered on August 11, 1898. A debenture to borrow $500.00 to build and furnish a schoolhouse was approved in 1899, and a one room school, located on NE 22-14-30-W1, opened on May 14, 1899. Miss Sadie E. Cleland was the first teacher with 14 students. From 1948 to 1954, the school was closed and students were conveyed to another district. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Little Bluff School District joined the Moosomin School Unit No. 9 on July 22, 1953. The school reopened in 1954 and operated until June, 1960.

Craik School District No. 891

  • LGA 12
  • Local Government
  • 1903-1957

In June, 1903, ratepayers in the village of Craik and the surrounding area petitioned the Department of Education of the North-West Territories to establish a school district. Departmental approval was granted and a meeting to vote on the formation of the district and elect trustees was held in Craik on August 14, 1903. Craik School District No. 891 was established on September 14, 1903. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings, and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

Approximately seven children were taught in a private residence until the first schoolhouse was built in Craik in 1904. In 1905, the school district came under the direction of the Department of Education of the new province of Saskatchewan. In 1908, Craik School District became a town school district (its boundaries remained unchanged) and a larger school building was erected. After the building burnt down in 1920, a new eight room school was built and all elementary and high school grades were taught there. In 1960 a separate high school facility was built. On April 1, 1957 the duties and powers of the district board were revised when Craik School District became part of the Davidson School Unit No. 31.

Swea School District No. 139, 1888-1964

  • LGA 21
  • Local Government
  • 1888-1964

Around 1888, ratepayers in the Stockholm area petitioned the Board of Education for the North-West Territories for the establishment of a school district. An organizational meeting was held on September 24, 1888 at the residence of C.O. Hofstrand. The majority of ratepayers present were in favour of forming a school district and C.O. Hofstrand, Alex Steenberg and Eric Zakrison were elected trustees.

The Swea School District No. 139 was established on November 2, 1888. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district was named Swea in honor of the wife of the first chairman of the school board. The students were taught at the C.O. Hofstrand residence by Annie Hendrickson until the one room school opened on July 11, 1891. Located on NW 9-19A-2-W2, the school originally operated only in the summer months. The school district boundaries were altered on April 27, 1891, October 6, 1905 and October 8, 1907. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Swea School District joined the Potashville School Unit No. 25 on February 28, 1964. The school closed in June, 1965.

Erin School District No. 649, 1901-1944

  • LGA 22
  • Local Government
  • 1901-1944

In 1901, ratepayers in the Lampman district petitioned the Council of Public Instruction of the North-West Territories for the formation of a school district. The proposed boundaries of the school district were revised several times. Fairview and Mount Pleasant were suggested as names before Willmar was approved as the choice.

Willmar School District No. 649 was established on December 6, 1901. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The board of trustees borrowed $250.00 to build and furnish a one room school, located on NW 16-6-4-W2 and opened in 1902. A few years later, the school was moved to NE 17-6-4-W2. On November 17, 1914 the name of Willmar School District was changed to Erin School District No. 649. The name was suggested by C. Ireland, Secretary-Treasurer of the former and new district. The boundaries of the district were altered on November 20, 1914 and December 8, 1914. The newly established Willmar School District No. 3476 encompassed the hamlet of Willmar and surrounding area while Erin School District No. 649 included the western portion of the original Willmar district.

Erin School remained closed for the majority of 1915. In the fall, the school was moved to NE 18-6-4-W2 and reopened in 1916 with Miss L.E. Dallas as teacher. The school closed in 1936 due to the small number of school age children in the area and remained so until 1945, when it reopened with seven students. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Erin School District joined the Estevan School Unit No. 2 on November 15, 1944. In 1952, the school was closed and students were conveyed to Willmar School.

North Battleford Water Inquiry, 2001-2002

  • LGA 23
  • Local Government
  • 2001-2002

The North Battleford Water Inquiry was an independent commission ordered by the Government of Saskatchewan on May 10, 2001 pursuant to Order-in-Council 357/2001. The public inquiry was ordered following an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness in March and April, 2001. Approximately 5800 to 7100 people in the Battlefords, Saskatchewan area became ill after consuming water infected with the parasite cryptosporidium parvum.

The Commission's mandate was to inquire into, make recommendations and report on: the circumstances that led to the cryptosporidium outbreak in North Battleford; the adequacy and effectiveness of the actions taken by the provincial government, the Battlefords District Health Board, and the City of North Battleford leading up to and in response to the outbreak; the effect, if any, of the regulations, bylaws, policies, guidelines, procedures and practices of the above named parties on the outbreak; any other relevant matters the Commission considered necessary to determine the future safety of North Battleford's public drinking water.

The Honourable Mr. Justice Robert D. Laing was appointed Commissioner on May 10, 2001. The Commission consisted of James Russell (Counsel); Christopher Boychuk and Blair Bleakney (Assistant Counsel); Warren Bickford (Executive Director); Norman Doell (Registrar) and two administrative staff.

Applications for funding and standing were heard on June 26, 2001. The public hearings were held at the Tropical Inn in North Battleford from September 17 to December 6, 2001, with final arguments heard on January 14 and 15, 2002.

The Commission's final report, Report of the Commission of Inquiry into Matters Relating to the Safety of the Public Drinking Water in the City of North Battleford, Saskatchewan, was submitted to the Minister of Justice on March 28, 2002 and released to the public April 5, 2002. The Report's 28 recommendations focused on regulatory improvements at Saskatchewan Environment, Saskatchewan Health and health districts; increased plant inspection; improved training for operators; and improvement in water management in North Battleford. The Saskatchewan Government accepted all recommendations and vowed to improve the province's water quality.

Rural Municipality of Lomond No. 37, 1911-

  • LGA 27
  • Local Government
  • 1911-

The Rural Municipality of Lomond No. 37 is a rural municipality (RM) in Saskatchewan incorporated on December 11, 1911 under The Rural Municipality Act (S.S. 1908-09, c.6). The R.M. of Lomond, located just south of the City of Weyburn, encompasses the Village of Goodwater and the Hamlet of Colgate. It serves the area located in ranges 12 to 16, west of the second meridian, townships 3 to 7. The municipality was named after Loch Lomond in Scotland.

The municipal office is located in Goodwater. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councilors and an administrator, previously known as the secretary-treasurer. Their responsibilities include passing by-laws, collecting taxes, and maintaining roads and cemeteries.

Creelman (Sask.), 1906-

  • LGA 30
  • Local Government
  • 1906-

The Village of Creelman is an urban municipality incorporated on April 6, 1906 under the provisions of The Village Ordinance. The village is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees. The village was originally administered by an overseer, councillors, and a secretary-treasurer.

The Village of Creelman is an agricultural based community located on the west half of section 16, township 10, range 10, west of the second meridian, 90 kilometers northwest of the City of Weyburn in the southeast corner of Saskatchewan. The village straddles Highway 33 between Fillmore and Heward and is located within Fillmore Rural Municipality No. 96. Although homesteaders in the area originally named the village Hazel, the Canadian Pacific Railway changed the name in 1904 to Creelman in honour of A. Robert Creelman, a solicitor for the railway at the time.

In 2005, the village covered an area of 1.15 square kilometers and had a population of 85. The village's municipal officials included a mayor, four councillors and an administrator.

Liberty (Sask.), 1912-

  • LGA 28
  • Local Government
  • 1912-

The Village of Liberty is an urban municipality incorporated on January 23, 1912 under the provisions of The Village Act. The village is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Village of Liberty is located on section 21, township 25, range 25, west of the second meridian in central Saskatchewan, 105 kilometres north of the City of Moose Jaw. Liberty is located on Highway 2 between Imperial and Penzance. It is situated in Big Arm Rural Municipality No. 251. It is believed that the name of the village was selected by a Canadian Pacific Railway surveyor in recognition of settler B.A. (Ben) Wolff, who was originally from Liberty, New York, and who had exhibited great hospitality toward the survey crew during the winter of 1906-1907.

The first village office was built in October, 1913 and served for many years as a pump house, fire hall, jail and council chambers. In 1978, the former Masonic Temple building was converted into the new village office.

The Village of Liberty has a current (2006) population of 94. Liberty's municipal officials currently include a mayor, two councillors, and an administrator, who prior to 1985 was known as the secretary-treasurer.

Resultaten 21 tot 30 van 140