Showing 95 results

Authority record
Secondary Agency

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Community Resources. Child and Family Services Division

  • GA 160
  • Secondary Agency
  • 2006-2007

The Child and Family Services Division of the Department of Community Resources was established on February 3, 2006. It was responsible for the administration of The Child and Family Services Amendment Act, 2003. The division reported to one of the department's Assistant Deputy Ministers, Shelley Whitehead. Its programs and services provided targeted support for at-risk children, youth and families. Program areas included: child protection and family support services; foster care provided by families throughout the province; adoption and the provision of post-adoption information; teen and young parent welfare; family violence intervention and counselling; and child nutrition education. The division also consulted with child and family services agencies from eighteen First Nations on the provision of child welfare services to families living on reserve.

The Child and Family Services Division was disestablished on November 21, 2007. Responsibilities of the division were transferred to the Child and Family Services Division of the Ministry of Social Services.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Economic and Co-operative Development. Investment and Corporate Services Division, 1997-1998

  • GA 169
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1997-1998

The Investment and Corporate Services Division of the Saskatchewan Department of Economic and Co-operative Development was established in the 1997-1998 fiscal year as a result of a departmental reorganization. The Division was organized into: Investment and Industry Development Programs; Administrative Services; Human Resources; and Systems Services. Additional responsibilities administered by the Division for the Department were: the coordination of legislative and regulatory amendments; processing of Orders-in-Council; and the handling of Freedom of Information requests.

The mandate of Investment and Industry Development Programs was to promote the growth and diversification of Saskatchewan businesses and to increase competition and employment in the business sector. It was responsible for the Small Business Loans Association Program; the Canada-Saskatchewan Partnership Agreement on Rural Development; and it provided administrative support to the Strategic Initiatives Fund and the Regional Economic Development Authority. Investment Services promoted the development and growth of Saskatchewan businesses through the administration of the Labour-sponsored Venture Capital Program and Business Immigration Programs. The Labour-sponsored Venture Capital Program contributed funds for investment in small and medium-sized Saskatchewan-based businesses. Business Immigration Programs were responsible for coordinating the federal-provincial administration of the Immigrant Investor Program and the Immigrant Entrepreneur Program.

The Investment and Corporate Services Division was disestablished in July, 1998 as a result of another departmental reorganization. Responsibility for the Investment and Industry Development Programs was assumed by the Operations Division, while those of Administrative Services, Human Resources and Systems Services were assumed by the Corporate Management Division.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Economic and Co-operative Development. Investment and Corporate Services Division, 2000-2002

  • GA 171
  • Secondary Agency
  • 2000-2002

The Investment and Corporate Services Division of the Saskatchewan Department of Economic and Co-operative Development was established in September, 2000 as the result of a departmental reorganization. The Division is responsible for the administration and management of the majority of the Department's service areas. It was comprised of four branches: Investment Services; Economic Investments; Financial and Administrative Services; and Information Systems Services.

The Investment Services Branch was responsible for promoting the growth and development of Saskatchewan businesses. It provided services and programs that encouraged businesses to increase equity financing from the community, and expand their human resources. The Branch was responsible for the administration of: The Labour-sponsored Venture Capital Corporations Program; business immigration programs, namely the Provincial Nominee Program and the Immigrant Investor Program; the Small Business Loans Association Program; and the Saskatchewan Business Ambassadors Program. On April 1, 2001, responsibility for business immigration programs was transferred to the Immigration Branch of the Department of Intergovernmental and Aboriginal Affairs which was established in September, 2000.

The Economic Investments Branch was responsible for administering programs aimed at building Saskatchewan's economy through innovation, research and development, and the adaptation of technologies. Programs administered by the Branch were the Strategic Investment Fund; the Innovation and Science Fund; the Canada-Saskatchewan Western Economic Partnership Agreement and the Youth Provincial Action Committee on the Economy.

The Financial and Administrative Services Branch was responsible for the provision of general operating, financial and legislative services to the Department and to the Office of Northern Affairs. The Information Systems Services Branch provided infrastructure and technical support to the Department in the areas of information technology and information management.

The Department of Economic and Co-operative Development and its subordinate agencies were disestablished on March 26, 2002 as a result of a governmental reorganization. The Department merged with the Department of Energy and Mines to form the Department of Industry and Resources.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Economic and Co-operative Development. Operations Division

  • GA 170
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1998-2000

The Operations Division of the Saskatchewan Department of Economic and Co-operative Development was established in July, 1998 as a result of a departmental reorganization. It was responsible for the administration and delivery of programs and services that encouraged the growth of Saskatchewan businesses and co-operatives. The Division was comprised of four branches or units: Regional Services Branch; Business Development Unit; Program Development and Support Branch; and Special Projects Branch.

The Regional Services Branch provided support for business and co-operative development from eight regional offices throughout Saskatchewan: Regina, Estevan, Moose Jaw and Swift Current (which comprised the TransCanada Region); and Saskatoon, North Battleford, Prince Albert and Yorkton (the Yellowhead Region). The Branch was responsible for providing and managing services for business, co-operative, and community economic development projects; assessing the value-added business needs of clients and supplying them with matching programs and services; supporting the development of Regional Economic Development Authorities (REDA) and related initiatives; and supporting the Canada-Saskatchewan Business Service Centre in its efforts to provide an efficient information service to Saskatchewan businesses.

The Business Development Unit was responsible for enhancing the growth and diversity of value-added and knowledge-based industries in Saskatchewan. It focused on the key areas of investment attraction, infrastructure development, industrial development and client service. The Unit was organized by priority sectors with each business development manager being responsible for one or more sectors.

The Program Development and Support Branch was responsible for the management and delivery of programs and services for business, co-operative and regional economic development projects. The Branch was comprised of three units: Regional Programs; Co-operative and Community Economic Development; and Investment Services. The Regional Programs Unit delivered support and services for participants in Regional Economic Development Authority grant projects. The Co-operative and Community Economic Development Unit focused on the delivery of: co-operative sector relations and liaison; co-operative development and diversification projects; new co-operatives projects; co-operative models for community development and community economic development; resource material, research, and promotion; and monitoring the legislative and regulatory environment affecting co-operatives. The Investment Services Unit promoted the development and growth of Saskatchewan businesses through the Labour-sponsored Venture Capital Corporation Program; business immigration initiatives such as the Provincial Nominee Program and Immigrant Investor Program; the Small Business Loans Association Program; and the Youth PACE (Provincial Action Committee on the Economy).

The Special Projects Branch was responsible for participation in intra/intersectoral, high-priority economic development projects. The Branch provided consultation and negotiation services for projects involving senior government and industry officials from sectors including healthcare, manufacturing, media, and technology.

In advance of the 1999-2000 fiscal year, the Division was further reorganized. Within the Regional Services Branch, the TransCanada and Yellowhead regions were eliminated. Subsequently, the eight regional offices reported to the executive director of the Regional Economic Development Authority. As a result of the change in reporting structure, the Branch was renamed as the Regional Economic Development Services Branch. Additionally, the Special Projects Branch was eliminated. The responsibilities of the Branch were reassigned to staff in other areas of the Department.

The Operations Division was disestablished in September, 2000 as a result of a departmental reorganization. Responsibilities of the Division were reassigned to the Community Economic and Business Development Division and the Investment and Corporate Services Division of the Department.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Education. Visual Education Branch

  • GA 122
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1945-1965

In 1945, the Audio-Visual Instruction Branch of the Department of Education was reorganized into the Visual Education Branch. Managed by a supervisor, the branch's original functions included loaning motion picture films, filmstrips, slides and other visual aids to schools and other organizations across the province to support instruction; instructing teachers and other individuals and groups on the use of visual materials and equipment; producing and distributing manuals to assist in using the materials; maintaining an extensive library of films produced by the National Film Board, other government departments and private corporations; and producing motion pictures, photographs, filmstrips and slides relating to various subjects including agriculture, health and citizenship.

The Production Unit of the Visual Education Branch produced motion picture films, still photographs, filmstrips, slides and other visual aids for publicity and educational purposes. Motion picture films were produced for tourism, publicity or instructional purposes. Staff photographers created images of individuals, buildings and public events at the request of other government departments for use in annual reports, pamphlets, displays, etc. The unit provided processing and enlargement services and maintained a library of still photographs. Effective March 31, 1954, the Unit was transferred to the Bureau of Publications and became known as the Government Photographic Services.

From 1945 to 1955, the branch maintained an arrangement with the National Film Board (NFB) whereby a NFB projectionist provided assistance in showing educational films in schools that did not have the necessary equipment. The arrangement ended when the NFB established its own office in Regina for distribution of its film in Saskatchewan.

Around 1965, the Visual Education Branch became the Visual Education Section of the newly created Curriculum Branch.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Highways and Transportation. Maintenance Branch

  • GA 69
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1923-1968

Previous to 1923 the Department of Highways assumed no responsibility for the maintenance of highways. The responsibility rested with rural municipal councils. In 1923 the newly organized Maintenance Branch took over control of the maintenance of all provincial highways which had been completed at that time. In addition, the Maintenance Branch took over maintenance of other roads which had been built either by the province or by rural municipalities up to a standard that permitted them to be included in the provincial system without requiring further construction work. At first the Maintenance Branch employed local farmers to maintain short sections of roadways convenient to their homes. Work consisted mainly of maintaining a smooth road surface by means of dragging, keeping weeds cut, repairing washouts and other damage caused by flood waters. In 1924 the Maintenance Branch took over control of all completed portions of the provincial highway system. No winter maintenance was performed until 1929 when a snow removal pilot project between Moose Jaw and Regina was implemented.

In 1930 the province was divided into eight districts, each under a District Engineer. In 1931, due to economic considerations, full time maintenance activities were discontinued and a program of relief work was introduced. In 1935, work done by the Maintenance Branch expanded to include snow prevention and removal.

During the 1940s close to 1,000 miles of provincial highway were added to the workload of the Maintenance Branch, along with the erection and maintenance of highway signs. Securing the delivery of maintenance equipment and labour proved difficult in the first half of the decade due the demands of the Second World War. Major re-gravelling and other upgrades were performed on the provincial system in the late 1940s.

The 1950s saw a major upgrade of maintenance equipment. A dramatic rise in the volume of traffic on provincial roads, accompanied by greater gross weight allowances for trucks lead to increased maintenance activity. In 1954, the Maintenance Branch implemented a program of issuing daily road condition reports. Major road resurfacing projects were untaken by the branch in 1959.

The 1960s brought the continued modernization of maintenance equipment. By the mid-1960s 9,000 miles of highways were maintained by the Branch. In 1968 the Maintenance Branch was discontinued and replaced by the Maintenance Division under the direct control of the Operations Branch.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Intergovernmental and Aboriginal Affairs. Intergovernmental Affairs Division

  • GA 173
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1997-2002

The Intergovernmental Affairs Division of the Saskatchewan Department of Intergovernmental and Aboriginal Affairs was established on June 27, 1997. It was responsible for the promotion of Saskatchewan's interests through its relations with other governments in Canada and abroad. At its establishment, the Division was comprised of five Branches: Constitutional Relations; International Relations; Trade Policy; Telecommunications and Broadcasting; and Federal-Provincial Relations. The Constitutional Relations Branch was responsible for policy analysis of the Government's position with respect to constitutional and jurisdictional issues within Canada. The International Relations Branch was responsible for the management of formal inter-governmental arrangements between Saskatchewan and foreign governments and organizations. It also managed the delivery of the Government's international development assistance program. The Trade Policy Branch was responsible for coordinating and articulating the Government's policies pertaining to trade and market access, trade forums; and the Government's participation in trade disputes affecting its interests. The Telecommunications and Broadcasting Branch was responsible for monitoring federal regulations pertaining to telecommunications and broadcasting in the province, and for the development of related policies. The Federal-Provincial Relations Branch was responsible for advancing the Government's objectives and interests through its relations with other provincial and territorial governments and with the federal government. During the 2000-2001 fiscal year, the Division reorganized into two Branches: Trade Policy and International Relations (comprised of the former Trade Policy and International Relations Branches); and Canadian Intergovernmental Relations and Immigration (comprised of the former Federal-Provincial Relations, Constitutional Relations Branches, along with responsibilities for immigration business programs transferred from the Department of Economic and Co-operative Development).

The Department of Intergovernmental and Aboriginal Affairs and its subordinate agencies were disestablished on March 31, 2002 as a result of a governmental reorganization. The Department merged with portions of the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing to form the Department of Government Relations and Aboriginal Affairs.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Justice. Corrections Division, 1983-1987

  • GA 144
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1983-1987

The Corrections Division of the Department of Justice was established in 1983 as part of the establishment of the department. It assumed the responsibilities of the former Corrections Division of the Department of Social Services. The division was responsible for the administration of correctional institutions in Saskatchewan, and for the provision of adult corrections programs and services. At its establishment, the division was organized into two branches: the Institutional Operations Branch and the Community Operations Branch. The Executive Director of the division, Terry Thompson, reported to the department's Associate Deputy Minister (Operations) (1983) and the Deputy Minister (1984-1987).

The Institutional Operations Branch was responsible for the administration of facilities and programs for the custody and care of adult offenders sentenced to terms of less than two years. Provincial correctional centres were located at Regina (which housed male offenders from southern Saskatchewan), at Saskatoon (central Saskatchewan), at Prince Albert (northern Saskatchewan) and at the Pine Grove Centre in Prince Albert (female offenders from all of Saskatchewan). The branch also operated a community correctional centre at North Battleford for offenders serving terms of less than four months. The division's northern region administered small community correctional centres at Buffalo Narrows and Creighton for low to medium-risk offenders residing in the far north of the province. Programs offered to offenders while in custody included: vocational and academic training; group activities and recreation; medical and dental services; counselling; and family therapy. Parole services were coordinated by the institutions in cooperation with the National Parole Board. Five community training residences offered residence and rehabilitation opportunities for low-risk offenders and probationers through employment, academic and vocational training, counselling, and addictions treatment. Nine correctional camps were located primarily at provincial parks throughout the province where low-risk offenders lived and worked while serving their terms. By 1985, Administrative Release Programs became operational and included the Work Incentive, Conditional Release and Institutional Fine Option programs.

The Community Operations Branch was responsible for the administration of programs and services aimed at protecting society while providing probation and rehabilitation opportunities to offenders outside the confines of a correctional facility. Probation programs and services were delivered primarily by probation officers staffed at regional offices throughout the province. The two key functions of probation officers were to prepare pre-sentence reports and to supervise offenders on probation.
Other community-based corrections programs administered by the branch included: the Fine Option Program; Community Service Order Program; Bail Verification and Supervision Program; the Restitution Program; Volunteers in Probation program; attendance centres; and the Impaired Driver's Treatment Program. In addition, the branch administered departmental grants to non-governmental agencies that provided services to offenders.

The Corrections Division of the Department of Justice was discontinued in 1987 upon a reorganization of the department. The Corrections and Justice Services Division of the department took over these responsibilities.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Justice. Corrections Division, 1993-2002

  • GA 147
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1993-2002

The Corrections Division of the Department of Justice was established in 1993 as part of a departmental reorganization. It assumed the responsibilities for corrections services and programs from the former Solicitor General Division. The division was responsible for the administration of correctional institutions in Saskatchewan, and for the provision of adult corrections programs and services. At its establishment, the division was organized into two branches: the Institutional Operations Branch and the Community Operations Branch. A third branch, Community Facilities Branch, was added in 2001. The division reported to the department's Deputy Minister.

The Community Operations Branch was responsible for the administration of corrections programs and services aimed at protecting society while providing offenders with pre-trial, sentencing and probation alternatives in the community. Probation programs and services were delivered primarily by probation officers staffed at regional offices and sub-offices throughout the province. Community-based corrections programs administered by the branch included: the Intensive Probation Supervision / Electronic Monitoring Program; Intensive Community Program; Fine Option Program; Community Service Order Program; Bail Supervision Program; the Restitution Program; and the Impaired Driver's Treatment Program.

The Institutional Operations Branch was responsible for the administration of corrections facilities and programs for the custody and care of adult offenders sentenced to terms of less than two years. Provincial correctional centres were located at Regina, Saskatoon, Prince Albert (all for male offenders) and at the Pine Grove (Women's) Centre in Prince Albert. The branch also operated a community correctional centre at North Battleford for offenders serving terms of less than four months. The division's northern region administered a small community correctional centre at Buffalo Narrows for low to medium-risk offenders residing in the far north of the province. Programs offered to offenders while in custody included: vocational and academic training; group activities and recreation; medical and dental services; counselling; and family therapy. Correctional camps were located primarily at provincial parks throughout the province where low-risk offenders lived and worked while serving their terms. Community training residences offered residence and rehabilitation opportunities for low-risk offenders and probationers through employment, academic and vocational training, counselling, and addictions treatment. As well, the branch held contracts with private agencies for a small number of community residence placements. In 2001, responsibility for the administration of the community training residence program was transferred to the newly-established Community Facilities Branch.

The Corrections Division of the Department of Justice was discontinued in April 2002. Responsibility for corrections was transferred to the Adult Corrections Division of the Department of Corrections and Public Safety.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Justice. Corrections and Justice Services Division

  • GA 145
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1987-1991

The Corrections and Justice Services Division of the Department of Justice was established in 1987 as an amalgamation of the department's former Justice Services and Corrections Divisions. The new division was responsible for the administration of court, correctional and property registration services and programs in Saskatchewan. At its establishment, the division was organized into three primary branches: Court Services Branch; Corrections Branch; and Property Registration Branch. The division was lead by an Assistant Deputy Minister, Terry Thompson, who reported to the department's Deputy Minister.

The Court Services Branch provided administrative and operational support to the Courts of Saskatchewan. The branch was organized into four units: Sheriff Services; Registrar of Courts; Court Operations; and Administrative Support. The Sheriff Services Unit provided the services of sheriffs and sheriff's officers throughout the province. Duties of this personnel in the unit included the execution of court orders, serving of legal documents and the enforcement of statute orders. The Registrar of Courts provided advice and support to Local Registrars around the province. The Court Operations Unit administered the Court of Appeal, Court of Queen's Bench, Surrogate Court, Unified Family Court and the Automatic Enforcement of Maintenance Orders program. It also provided non-judicial administration of the Provincial Court of Saskatchewan and the Traffic Safety Court of Saskatchewan. Acts administered by the Unit included The Commissioner for Oaths Act, The Notaries Public Act and The Marriage Act. The unit also oversaw the training and support services for the province's Justices of the Peace. The Administrative Support Unit provided financial and administrative support for the branch. In addition, it was responsible for the Provincial Court Management Information System. By 1990, a fifth unit, the Maintenance Enforcement Office, was added. The Office assisted recipients of court-ordered maintenance with the enforcement of their orders.

The Corrections Branch was organized into two sub-branches: Institutional Operations and Community Operations. The Institutional Operations Branch was responsible for the administration of facilities and programs for the custody and care of adult offenders sentenced to terms of less than two years. Provincial correctional centres were located at Regina, Saskatoon, Prince Albert (all for male offenders) and at the Pine Grove (Women's) Centre in Prince Albert. The branch also operated a community correctional centre at North Battleford for offenders serving terms of less than four months. The division's northern region administered a small community correctional centre at Buffalo Narrows for low to medium-risk offenders residing in the far north of the province. Programs offered to offenders while in custody included: vocational and academic training; group activities and recreation; medical and dental services; counselling; and family therapy. Parole services were coordinated by the institutions in cooperation with the National Parole Board. Five community training residences offered residence and rehabilitation opportunities for low-risk offenders and probationers through employment, academic and vocational training, counselling, and addictions treatment. Nine correctional camps were located primarily at provincial parks throughout the province where low-risk offenders lived and worked while serving their terms. Administrative Release Programs included the Work Incentive, Conditional Release and Institutional Fine Option programs.

The Community Operations Branch was responsible for the administration of programs and services aimed at protecting society while providing probation and rehabilitation opportunities to offenders outside the confines of a correctional facility. Probation programs and services were delivered primarily by probation officers staffed at regional offices throughout the province. The two key functions of probation officers were to prepare pre-sentence reports and to supervise offenders on probation.
Other community-based corrections programs administered by the branch included the Fine Option Program, Community Service Order Program, Bail Verification and Supervision Program, the Restitution Program, Volunteers in Probation program and the Impaired Driver's Treatment Program.

The Property Management Branch administered the systems of registration for real property (the Land Titles System) and personal property (the Personal Property Registry). The director of the branch also held the office of Master of Titles. The Land Titles System included the examination and registry of land-related documents, and the issuance and of titles. A network of land titles offices throughout the province responded to title enquiries and registration submissions. The Chief Surveyor examined and approved the registrations made from these offices. The Personal Property Registry provided a notice filing system wherein a secured party could register a financing statement expressing an interest in the personal property of a debtor. It also provided an enquiry system for individuals intending on purchasing personal property to search and request information related to the property.

The Corrections and Justice Services Division of the Department of Justice was discontinued in 1991 as a result of a departmental reorganization. Responsibility for corrections was transferred to the department's newly-established Solicitor General Division, while court services and property registry were transferred to the newly-established Registry Services Division.

Results 21 to 30 of 95