Showing 94 results

Authority record
Secondary Agency

Saskatchewan Clay Products

  • GA 7
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1945-1965

In 1945 the Saskatchewan government purchased the Estevan Brick Plant. The plant, which had been closed since 1932, was reopened as Saskatchewan Clay Products, the clay products division of the Crown corporation Saskatchewan Minerals. The plant produced face and common brick, building tile, terra-cotta, quarry floor tiles, and pottery (wine jugs).

Saskatchewan. Cabinet Secretariat

  • GA 63
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1948-

Prior to 1948, administrative support for the activities of the Executive Council was informal. During certain periods, the Premier, as President of the Executive Council, personally documented cabinet decisions and minutes. In some cases, support was provided directly by secretarial staff of the Premier's Office. In other cases, no formal documentation was kept and ministers were expected to remember decisions. During the 1945-1948 period, Minister of Education W. S. Lloyd wrote memoranda for some items discussed in Cabinet. The Legal Adviser to Cabinet on occasion also acted as a cabinet secretary and assisted Premier T.C. Douglas and W. S. Lloyd.

Formal recording of cabinet minutes began on August 31, 1948. In November 1948, Horace Stanley Lee was appointed as Cabinet Secretary and Executive Assistant to Premier Douglas.

Functions of the Secretariat varied over the 16 years between 1948 and 1964 as the position was, at times, combined or separate from the position of Clerk of the Executive Council and Assistant to the Clerk of the legislature.

Development of the structure of the Secretariat was suspended with the election of the Liberal government of Ross Thatcher in 1964. Liberal policy on Cabinet referred to policies in place during its last term in power. No formal minutes were kept of meetings and all decisions and direction centered on Premier Thatcher.

Following the defeat of the Liberal government in 1971, the functions of the Secretariat were restored and procedures reintroduced into practice. In 1972, The Legislative Assembly and Executive Council Act (S.S.1972 L-11.1) formalized the structures and responsibilities of the Cabinet Secretariat. These were renewed in 2005 and 2007.

Saskatchewan. Conservation Branch

  • GA 106
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1954-1960

The Conservation Branch was established in the Department of Natural Resources in 1954. Overseen by a director, the branch originally consisted of three divisions: the Conservation Information Service; the Conservation Officers' Training School; and the Saskatchewan Museum of Natural History. The Conservation Information Service was responsible for publicity, visual aids, publications and extension services. The Service prepared information for news releases; produced the Northern News radio program on CKBI in Prince Albert; produced pamphlets and other publications; compiled a library of films and still photography; and presented information to school children and other interest groups. The Conservation Officers' Training School provided training for new field officers and offered refresher courses for veteran staff. The Saskatchewan Museum of Natural History was responsible for acquiring and exhibiting aspects of the province's natural history and educating the public in the areas of botany, zoology, archaeology, geology and paleontology.

The Conservation Branch was also responsible for conducting anthropological research into the Metis people of northern Saskatchewan; conducting geographical research on the development of renewable resources; developing guidelines on the disposition of Crown forest lands; and maintaining a central registry of all dispositions.

During the 1955-56 fiscal year, the Conservation Officers' Training School was transferred to the Administrative Services Branch. In 1955, the branch reassumed responsibility for the Historic Sites program, which involved locating, verifying and marking sites of historic significance in the province. The program was transferred to the Department of Travel and Information around 1957. During the 1956-1957 fiscal year, two new divisions were created. The Anthropological Research Division conducted research among northern Saskatchewan's Métis people to determine methods for improving their living conditions. The Lands Division surveyed the growth of the recreational use of provincial land and resources. During the 1958-59 fiscal year, the Anthropological Research Division was eliminated and the Lands Division was expanded into the Recreation Land Use Division, which was given a broader mandate to assist in the planning and design of recreational sites.

During the 1960-61 fiscal year, the Conservation Branch was reorganized into the Parks and Conservation Branch in response to the substantial increase in responsibilities assigned to the branch related to parks.

Saskatchewan. Conservation Education Branch

  • GA 107
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1953-1954

The Conservation Education Branch was established in the Department of Natural Resources during the 1952/53 fiscal year to streamline the department's public awareness activities. The new branch was created through an amalgamation of existing units, as follows: the Museum of Natural History, the Photographic Unit, the School Conservation Education lecture tour, and the Northern News radio program operating out of Prince Albert.

Headed by a director, the Conservation Education Branch originally consisted of three sections: Information and Education; Photographic; and Provincial Museum of Natural History. The Information and Education section was staffed by a senior information writer and a conservation officer, both based in Prince Albert. They were responsible for providing conservation education in schools; producing the Northern News radio program on CKBI; publishing a departmental newsletter; responding to information requests; creating and distributing various publications; and assisting the Bureau of Publications with news releases. The Photographic Section was responsible for producing images in various formats for documentary, educational and publicity purposes. The Museum of Natural History in Regina was responsible for acquiring and displaying specimens and encouraging public interest in zoology, botany, archaeology, paleontology and geology.

The Museum Section was elevated to full branch status during the 1953/54 fiscal year in order to allow the Conservation Education Branch to focus on its primary purpose, which was the preparation and distribution of information about the department's conservation programs. However the museum returned to the branch within the year.

During the 1954/55 fiscal year, the Conservation Education Branch was reorganized into the Conservation Branch.

Saskatchewan. Conservation Information Branch

  • GA 109
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1964-1972

The Conservation Information Branch was established in the Department of Natural Resources during the 1964/65 fiscal year. Led by a director who reported directly to the deputy minister, the branch's original responsibilities included: preparing and distributing publications, including provincial park brochures and fish and game guides; preparing and distributing news releases and feature articles to the news media; producing television and radio programs, including "Northern News", a radio broadcast from Prince Albert to residents of northern areas six days a week; acquiring and lending audio-visual materials; conducting advertising campaigns; answering requests for information; and preparing and editing the departmental newsletter.

One of the branch's major publications was "The Resource Reader", which consisted of loose information sheets designed to be collected in a binder. It was distributed to field staff, students, teachers and the general public. The major subject areas covered included conservation, wildlife, fish, birds, reptiles, forestry, history and folklore, parks and recreation. The branch also produced "The Resource Report", a weekly compilation of news releases on departmental activities distributed to departmental personnel, the media and various interest groups.

During the 1968/69 fiscal year, the branch began operating a telephone information line in Regina. The "Resource Phone" supplied current information on hunting, fishing, skiing and park reports in season. Additional lines were later set up in Prince Albert and Saskatoon. During the 1970/71 fiscal year, a comprehensive manual governing the implementation of the Department's standard signing system was produced by the branch to accompany the signs that were installed throughout the province.

In 1972, The Conservation Information Branch was reorganized into the Extension Services Branch.

Saskatchewan. Continuing Select Committee

  • GA 29
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1981-2003

The Continuing Select Committee was originally established on November 27, 1981 (Fourth Session - Nineteenth Legislature) to select members for and determine the terms of reference for other Select Committees appointed throughout the Legislature. The Committee met on a regular basis between 1981 and 2003.

The Committee met once during the First Session of the Twentieth Legislature, twice during the Second Session of the Twentieth Legislature, and once during the Third Session of the Twentieth Legislature.

Members of the Continuing Select Committee during the Twentieth Legislature were: Arnold Tusa, MLA (Last Mountain-Touchwood) (Chairman); Dwain Lingenfelter, MLA (Shaunavon) (Vice-Chairman); Larry Birkbeck, MLA (Moosomin); Joan Duncan, MLA (Maple Creek); James Garner, MLA (Wilkie); Ralph Katzman, MLA (Rosthern); Murray Koskie, MLA (Quill Lakes); Gerald Muirhead, MLA (Arm River); and Lloyd Sauder, MLA (Nipawin).

Staff member for the Committee was Gordon Barnhart (Clerk).

The Continuing Select Committee continued its functions in other legislative sessions until it was dissolved in June, 2003 upon the recommendation of the Special Committee on Rules and Procedures.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Advanced Education & Manpower. Assistant Deputy Minister Responsible for Manpower Division, 1983-1985

  • GA 57
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1983-1985

The organizational structure of the Department of Advanced Education and Manpower was based on two major divisions: Advanced Education and Manpower. Each division was administered by an Assistant Deputy Minister (ADM).

The Manpower Division was established on April 1, 1983. David W. Murray was appointed Assistant Deputy Minister, Manpower Division on June 23, 1983 (Order-in-Council 916/83) and served until 1985. Reporting directly to the Deputy Minister, the ADM was responsible for the following branches: Youth Services, Women's Services, Career Services, Native Services, Labour Market Planning and Information, Apprenticeship and Trade Certification.

The position was abolished in December, 1985 when certain components of the Manpower Division were transferred to the Assistant Deputy Minister, Programs Division of the Employment Development Agency.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Agriculture. Deputy Minister's Office

  • GA 46
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1905-1989

The Deputy Minister's Office of the Saskatchewan Department of Agriculture was created with the province of Saskatchewan. The formation of the province in 1905 from portions of the former North-West Territories saw the structure of the existing territorial Department of Agriculture was continued as part of the new governmental entity. The positions Minister and Deputy Minister had been known as Commissioner and Deputy-Commissioner respectively and these forms continued in use until 1909. The Deputy Commissioner (Deputy Minister) served as the point through which flowed all the functions, activities and reporting to the Commissioner (Minister).

Those holding the post were:
John Rothes Charles Honeyman, September 1, 1905 - December 31, 1906 (Deputy Commissioner) This was a continuation of his position with the Territorial government.
Arthur Paterson Ketchen, January 1, 1907 - June 26, 1908 (Deputy Commissioner)
William John Rutherford, November 1, 1908 - August 31, 1910 (Deputy Commissioner and Deputy Minister - His title was Deputy Commissioner until December 18, 1909 when the title changed to Deputy Minister)
Alfred Frank Mantle, September 1, 1910 - September 26, 1916
Francis Hedley Auld, November 1, 1916 - December 31, 1947
Maurice E. Hartnett, January 1, 1947 - October 31, 1951
William Harold Horner, November 1, 1951 - May 31, 1972
Douglas Francis McArthur, June 1, 1972 - September 30, 1974
Ronald Gordon Dalgliesh, November 1, 1974 - September 1, 1979
Gerald John Gartner September 1, 1979 - May 11, 1982
John L. (Jack) Drew, (Acting DM) May 10, 1982 - May 5, 1983 and May 5, 1983 - May 1, 1989 (as DM)

Drew continued to serve as Deputy Minister after the department became Agriculture and Food, until March 13, 1990.

Between fiscal years 1979-1980 and 1981-1982 there was also an Associate Deputy Minister.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Community Resources and Employment. Child and Family Services Division

  • GA 158
  • Secondary Agency
  • 2003-2006

The Child and Family Services Division of the Department of Community Resources and Employment was established on April 1, 2003. It was responsible for the administration of The Child and Family Services Amendment Act, 2003. The division reported to one of the department's Assistant Deputy Ministers, Shelley Whitehead. Its programs and services supported child protection, foster care, adoption, teen and young parent welfare, and family violence intervention and counselling. The division also consulted with child and family services agencies from eighteen First Nations on the provision of child welfare services to families living on reserve.

The Child and Family Services Division was disestablished on February 3, 2006. Responsibilities of the division were transferred to the Child and Family Services Division of the Department of Community Resources

Results 11 to 20 of 94