Showing 38 results

Authority record
Corporate

Grand Orange Lodge of Saskatchewan, 1892-

  • PA 300
  • Corporate
  • 1892-

The Grand Orange Lodge of the North-West Territories was instituted in Regina, North-West Territories on February 29, 1892. The Lodge was part of the Grand Orange Lodge of British America, a fraternal Protestant organization. In 1905 the Lodge became known as the Grand Orange Lodge of Saskatchewan when the province joined Confederation.

The Grand Orange Lodge of Saskatchewan functions as the governing body for Orange Lodges in the province. The Grand Orange Lodge has its own executive comprised of Lodge members from around the province which, through its offices and committees, conducts business on behalf of the Lodge throughout the year. The Grand Orange Lodge of Saskatchewan meets for annual meetings each spring to report on its activities and those of its reporting Lodges in the previous year.

Through its history, the Grand Orange Lodge of Saskatchewan has promoted the ideals and beliefs of the Orange movement, including entire separation of Church and State, the English language as the only official language in Canada, a non-sectarian public school system, equal rights to all and special privileges to none, an unwavering loyalty to the British flag, constitution and monarchy, and the participation in benevolent activities in the community.

Membership in the Grand Orange Lodge of Saskatchewan has dwindled (2005) to four ladies' Lodges throughout the province. The men's Lodges, once a strong component of the Grand Orange Lodge of Saskatchewan, are no longer in existence. The four Lodges exist in Climax, Nipawin, Regina and White Fox, with total membership at sixty members.

Headstart Employment Corporation, 1978-1989

  • PA 343
  • Corporate
  • 1978-1989

In 1976, Saskatchewan Power Corporation (SaskPower) President Fred Ursel responded to a paper entitled “Native Issues in Saskatchewan” which expressed that people of aboriginal ancestry were having problems gaining and maintaining employment in the province. Ursel asked members of his staff to develop proposals for possible programs to address his concerns. Through program development and consultation with Canada Manpower, a model of pre-trade training and academic upgrading was created. Program candidates were primarily aboriginal individuals seeking employment opportunities.

The Headstart Employment Corporation (HEC) was initiated in Regina, Saskatchewan on March 28, 1978 as a cooperative project of the SaskPower and Canada Employment and Immigration. It was registered as a nonprofit organization under The Business Corporations Act on April 28, 1978. The corporation relied upon volunteer assistance from staff in various departments of SaskPower, the staff of the Regina Plains Community College, and members of International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 2067 to further establish and deliver the HEC program. Its volunteer Board of Directors included Fred Bates, Manager of Management Development and Training for SaskPower, who served as Chairman of the Board. The head office of the Headstart Employment Corporation was located at the headquarters of SaskPower in Regina.

The HEC model of academic upgrading and trade skills training proved successful in the program's early years. Trainees of the program worked on various projects contracted out by SaskPower. A full-time consultant/co-ordinator was hired in 1979 to administer the program. The Headstart Employment Corporation expanded to include three crews by 1980, and a second program office in La Ronge in 1981. Substantial projects included the Regina Power Plant project which restored and converted the former plant into the Saskatchewan Science Centre, and work for North-Sask. Electric Ltd., a subsidiary of SaskPower.

Despite the program's accomplishments, a downturn in the economy in the late 1980s coupled with less financial support resulted in the Headstart Employment Corporation's closure in 1988. A formal resolution to dissolve the company was passed at a meeting of the Corporation's shareholders on June 16, 1989. The Headstart Employment Corporation was officially dissolved under The Business Corporations Act on October 31, 1989.

Insurance Brokers' Association of Saskatchewan, 1952-

  • PA 55
  • Corporate
  • 1952-

Saskatchewan insurance agents formed various regional groups to represent their interests to the provincial government and the local public. In the 1940's the Canadian Federation of Insurance Agents and Brokers (CFIAB) approached these regional groups to form a provincial association.

The need for cooperation amongst the various groups in Saskatchewan was finally recognized, resulting in the birth of a provincial association in the 1950's. In 1952, the first meeting of the newly formed Saskatchewan Insurance Agents Association was held with a total of 39 agents attending. Within the first year membership grew to 226 agents. This association would later join the national association, thus providing representation at the national level.

The name of the association was officially changed in 1987 to the Insurance Brokers' Association of Saskatchewan (IBAS). As of 2004, the purpose of the IBAS was to promote and preserve the independent insurance brokerage system as a secure, knowledgeable, cost-effective, customer-oriented, professional method of insurance delivery.

Lumby Productions Ltd., 1965-1988

  • PA 316
  • Corporate
  • 1965-1988

Lumby Productions Ltd. of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan had its beginnings as a part-time recording operation formed through the partnership of John and Helen Lumby on September 15, 1961. The Lumby's stated intent was to "carry on trade and business of musical and dramatic productions and distribution of phonograph records".

The company became a full time operation in 1965 when it was incorporated as Lumby Productions Ltd., and continued to produce sound recordings, films, radio and television commercials, slide-tape presentations, promotional brochures and photographic work as well as other public relations services throughout the late 1960s and into the mid-1980s.

During the company's early existence in the 1960s it concentrated on the production and marketing of sound recordings. These included two volumes of a very successful children's record featuring Helen Lumby, "Miss Helen's Kindergarten Party." As well, Lumby Productions produced sound recordings and did marketing work for various local Saskatoon performers including the University of Saskatchewan's Greystone Singers and the Saskatoon Boys' Choir. It also produced two Saskatchewan Jubilee albums featuring various Saskatchewan artists.

In 1965, Lumby Productions branched out into custom recording services, architectural and industrial photography and motion picture production. Lumby Production's move into film was aided by contract work with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. During the late 1960's and early 1970's the company did most of the film and news production for CBC Saskatchewan. This led to the opening of a Regina office to help service the CBC account, and to the hiring of movie photographers Wilf Weber and Gerry Moir. Weber became a shareholder in Lumby Productions Ltd. in 1969.

Films were also produced for a number of provincial government departments and for private and crown corporations such as the Prince Albert Pulpwood Co. and the Saskatchewan Forest Products Corporation.

Over the years the scope of work undertaken by Lumby Productions Ltd. grew. Trully a multimedia production operation, the company engaged in the production of most pre-computer media that were used commercially. Lumby Production Ltd. provided clients with recording and record pressing services, photography, aerial photography, radio jingles, TV commercials, print advertising, public relations work, film production, film processing, animation and music for film.

The activities of Lumby Productions Ltd. were phased out during the early 1980's. During 1985-1986 the assets of Lumby Productions were transferred to Size Small Productions Inc., a new company formed by the Lumbys in 1981. Lumby Productions Ltd. was fully dissolved in 1988 and was struck from the provincial list of corporations in 1989.

Many of the Lumby film productions won awards at international competitions for documentary and industrial films. [For a partial list of nominations and awards see Introduction to A 679.]

John and Helen Lumby met while working at CFQC-TV in Saskatoon in the 1950s. John Lumby studied engineering at the University of Saskatchewan in 1949 and graduated from the Officer's Indoctrination Course University Reserve Training in June 1950. After an apprenticeship in industrial and commercial photography at Hansen Photographers in Edmonton, he worked as a photographer with the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix in the early 1950s. John Lumby served as Director of Photography at CFQC-TV in Saskatoon from 1955 to 1965 when he moved into full-time production work at his own company. He received a Certificate of Business Administration from the University of Saskatchewan in 1964.

Born in Souris, Manitoba and growing up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Helen Hase Lumby worked as a writer, producer, operator and performer with CFQC Radio and CFQC-TV prior to forming the partnership in Lumby Productions. She was co-host of CFQC programmes "Little People" and "Carnival" during 1957-1958. She also produced a children's show and performed national radio spots for CHUM in Toronto for a brief period before rejoining CFQC-TV in 1960. At CFQC, Helen Lumby produced the children's television show "Miss Helen's Kindergarten", designed to fill the void left by the discontinuance of the kindergarten programme by the Saskatoon School Board in the late 1950s. The show aired between 1956 and1962 and won awards for exellence in children's programming. In the 1960's she was co-host of CBC radio's "The Passing Show", a fifteen minute arts and entertainment program.

At Lumby Productions Ltd. Helen Lumby worked primarily writing advertising copy and doing voice-overs for radio commercials. She also produced and was featured in the "Miss Helen's Kindergarten Party" phonograph records. Helen Lumby was active in the public relations aspects of Lumby Productions including print, radio and television advertising, press releases, brochures and promotional films.

Both John and Helen Lumby moved into production work with Size Small Productions Inc. in the 1980s. The Lumbys married in Saskatoon in 1957. They had three children: Lisa, John Jr., and Jeff. John and Helen Lumby currently (2005) reside in Baden, Ontario.

Matador Co-Operative Farm Association, 1946-1974

  • PA 208
  • Corporate
  • 1946-1974

Matador Co-Operative Farm Association was the first and the longest surviving of the Second World War veterans' co-operative farms. It began in 1946, with a group of 17 veterans who wished to farm but knew they could not afford to do so as individuals. They purchased land which had originally been the Matador Ranch near Kyle, Saskatchewan and Local Improvement District (L.I.D.) land in the area and began to develop their farm. Their first President was Lorne Dietrick and their long time Secretary-Treasurer was William Zazelenkchuk.

The Honourable John Sturdy, provincial Minister of Reconstruction and Rehabilitation, recognized that supporting co-operative farming might be a way to re-integrate many of the thousands of veterans returning home at the end of World War II as well as one possible solution to the problems of market instability, high input costs and rural isolation. He gave Matador, as well as other veteran co-operative farms much support in the early years.

Not all of the veterans were well suited to co-operative farming and some left the Matador group. New applicants would be asked what they could contribute to the Matador co-operative in terms of land, veteran's entitlement and/or cash. They would be credited with their contribution and with their hours of work at the time of distribution of payments. New members were selected by the membership of the farm co-operative and given a trial period to see if they were suitable. If members left the farm they were reimbursed for their equity in a manner described in the bylaws of the organization.

Much of the larger community initially saw co-operative farms as communistic. The Wheat Board sought to provide only one permit book to the Matador farm instead of allowing one permit book to each farmer. The taxation department insisted on taxing the farm as a corporation, with the result that more income tax was owed than would have been if each member of the co-operative farm filed as an individual. Despite these problems the Matador Co-Operative farmers overcame obstacles, diversified their agricultural base and ran a very successful operation, including grain, cattle, sheep, chickens and turkeys. Dominant society norms of competitiveness, individuality, hierarchy and loyalty to the nuclear family unit challenged the co-operative spirit in many of the co-operative farms; Matador Co-Operative Farm Association was not entirely immune to these norms.

Changes occurred in membership over the years. As single men married and began to raise families there were houses built for them with garden space. In 1956 and 1957 the farm experienced a period of turmoil when land which had been leased under individual names was available for sale. Individual farmers could take their land and leave the co-operative or put their land into co-operative equity. Two members, did, in fact leave at that time. By 1974 there were 13 outgoing members.

As original members aged and were ready to retire many of the cooperative farms were sold or the members began farming individually. Matador Co-Operative Farm Association faced the problem of how to pass on a very expensive operation to the next generation. Their solution was to negotiate with Allan Blakeney's Government to change the provisions of the Land Bank Act, to allow Matador Farm to be sold to the Land Bank in 1974. This allowed the original members to receive their equity and to retire. It also allowed the second generation to continue to farm the land as the Matador Farm Pool.

Metamorphosis, 1978-1989

  • PA 282
  • Corporate
  • 1978-1989

At the Prairie Gay Conference of 1977, delegates decided that a major prairie gay cultural event should be held in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in the fall of 1978. On October 7 to 9, 1978, the first Metamorphosis festival, hosted by the Saskatchewan Gay Coalition, was held in Saskatoon. The name of the festival reflected the continuing growth of individuals and the larger gay community.

The first organizers hoped that Metamorphosis would provide the gay community with an opportunity to present itself to the larger community in a positive, highly visible way, while celebrating the richness of the gay community through cultural expression. The event usually included continuous entertainment workshops (music, dance, theatre, writing); displays (art, photography, crafts, books); entertainment (jugglers, clowns, and fortune tellers); coffee houses; concerts; and a parade or march.

Metamorphosis continued as an annual event until 1989. Due to low attendance, the last festival was held on October 7 and 8, 1989.

Norwest Housing Cooperative Limited, 1974-1976

  • PA 41
  • Corporate
  • 1974-1976

The Norwest Housing Cooperative met on June 17, 1974 to choose an executive, and was formally incorporated on August 1st of that year. With a membership of thirteen, the cooperative's objectives were to provide to members land, materials and furnishings required in the construction of housing units at a good price through bulk purchase, to negotiate any required financing for the units, to hire a general supervisor for the construction, and to provide advisory services to members.

Based in Regina, the cooperative operated outside of the provincial government program, AHOP (the Assisted Home Ownership Program). Within two years, members had completed their homes. The cooperative held its last meeting and dissolved on December 21, 1976.

Percival Community Hall Co-operative Association Limited, 1923-

  • PA 58
  • Corporate
  • 1923-

The Percival Community Hall Co-operative Association Limited is an agricultural co-operative association incorporated in Saskatchewan on July 23, 1923 under the provisions of The Agricultural Co-operative Associations Act. The Association operates a community hall in Percival for local residents to hold meetings and recreational and social events. The Association's executive consists of directors, a president, a vice-president, and a secretary-treasurer. The first president was J. Vigar and the first secretary was Ralph Hawkes.

The Percival Community Hall was originally erected around 1903 for use as a general store. When the store was renovated around 1913, cloakrooms were built, and the building began to be used as a hall. For a time, the Temperance Society held its meetings there. An outdoor dance platform was built in 1923, and renovations and improvements to the building took place in 1928, 1965, 1970, 1971, 1976, and 1981.

The Association is currently (2007) active.

Provincial Council of Women of Saskatchewan, 1919-

  • PA 53
  • Corporate
  • 1919-

The National Council of Women of Canada, founded in 1893, is a federation of organizations that work for change and improvement at community, provincial, national and international levels. To present day, the vision and mission of the National and Provincial Councils of Women has remained the same: to influence political decision-making and public attitudes for the well-being of society, through education and advocacy; and to empower all women to work together towards improving the quality of life for women, families, and society through a forum of member organizations and individuals. Provincial councils were deemed necessary since the provincial government has jurisdiction over education, health and welfare.

The Provincial Council of Women of Saskatchewan was established in 1919. The Council consists of delegates from affiliated organizations and interested individuals who are concerned with issues relating to improving conditions for women, families, and communities. Study groups and committees meet to develop resolutions, which are then presented to the Government of Saskatchewan.

Regina Boat Club, 1907-1962

  • PA 335
  • Corporate
  • 1907-1962

The Regina Boat Club was established in 1907 in Regina, Saskatchewan as a private boating and yachting club for men. The first meeting was held on June 15, 1907 at City Hall. Charles E. Wood chaired the meeting and A.C. Barrett served as secretary. On June 20, a second meeting was held to determine entrance fees, membership dues, and classes of membership. Club officers were selected, including two patrons (the Lieutenant Governor and Premier of Saskatchewan); a honourary president (F.W.G. Haultain); a president (Charles E. Wood); a vice-president (J.A. Wetmore); a secretary-treasurer (F.G. Wheat); and a committee of five. The committee was responsible for the general management of the Club's social and financial affairs and for enforcing the by-laws and house rules.

Initial plans for a boathouse and clubhouse were drawn up by E.N. Storey, a Regina architect. In 1908, the City of Regina funded the construction of a diving platform and the driving of piles to support a clubhouse. In 1909, a clubhouse was built on the north side of Wascana Lake.

By 1910, membership in the Regina Boat Club had grown to 186 and rowing had been introduced. The Club held its first annual Dominion Day Regatta on July 1, 1910. Events included canoe races, four-oared shells, motor boat races, skiff races, ladies' sculling, swimming, diving and lifesaving competitions.

On June 30, 1912, a tornado (the Regina Cyclone) destroyed the clubhouse and the majority of the Club's equipment. After this disaster, the clubhouse was rebuilt on the southeast corner of Wascana Park and a boathouse was built. The Regina Boat Club was incorporated on August 23, 1912 whereupon it became a general aquatic club.

During the First World War, the Club lost many members but strived to remain active. Following the War, the Club tried to expand its appeal by purchasing workboats and four-oared shells to supplement its existing canoes and sailboats.

In 1924, the Club began to allow women's rowing. From 1931 to 1932, the Club's activities were interrupted when Wascana Lake was drained in August 1930 for the construction of the Albert Street Bridge and Willow and Goose Islands. The Club re-commenced activity in 1933 with more than 200 members and saw the publication of its first official newsletter, The Water Log.

The Club was inactive during the Second World War as most of its male members had enlisted for service. In 1947, the Club moved into a new two-storey clubhouse on Willow Island made from surplus army huts. In 1949, the Regina Boat Club hosted its first North Western International Rowing Association Regatta at Regina Beach. The Club experienced continued growth throughout the 1950s, reaching its largest membership of more than 400 in 1959.

In 1962, the Regina Boat Club disbanded after weed-growth prevented the operation of boats on Wascana Lake. The Club's home on the north island was ceded to the Wascana Centre Authority for development and was demolished in 1964. In August 1971, the Wascana Centre Authority erected a stone cairn commemorating the Regina Boat Club near the original clubhouse location on the north shore of Wascana Lake.

In 1974 the Regina Boat Club was reorganized into the Regina Rowing Club in anticipation of the 1975 Western Canada Summer Games, held in Regina.

Results 11 to 20 of 38