Mostrar 180 resultados

Registo de autoridade
Local Government

Rouleau (Sask.), 1907-

  • LGA 60
  • Local Government
  • 1907-

The Town of Rouleau is an urban municipality in southeast Saskatchewan incorporated on March 1, 1907 under the provisions of the Municipal Amendment Ordinance (1901). Rouleau is an agricultural based community located 50 kilometres southeast of the City of Moose Jaw. Its exact geographical location is N23-14-22-W2. Located in the Rural Municipality of Redburn No. 130, the town is believed to have been named after Justice Charles-Borromee Rouleau, a judge on the Supreme Court of the North-West Territories.

The town is governed by a council consisting of a mayor and at least two councillors, each elected for a three year term. The goals of the council are to provide good government; provide necessary services and facilities for all or part of the municipality; develop and maintain a safe and viable community; and foster economic, social, and environmental well-being. The council holds jurisdiction over police and fire protection; water and sewer utilities; parks and recreation and waste management.

The council makes decisions and exercises its power through the passage of resolutions and by-laws. By-laws enforced by the council include those relating to building; wild and domestic animals; nuisances; transport and transportation systems; streets and roads; businesses and business activities; signs and zoning. Council is also responsible for the collection of revenues; issuing tax and assessment notices; administration of the operating and capital budgets and preparation of annual financial statements.

The Town of Rouleau is currently (2009) administered by a mayor, six councillors, an administrator (previously known as the town clerk) and an assistant administrator. The administrator oversees the day-to-day operations of the municipality; advises on policy and ensures council policies are carried out. The council currently holds regular meetings open to the public on the first Monday of each month. In 2005, the Rouleau Town Council established the Rouleau Economic Development Committee, which is responsible for creating jobs; diversifying the economy and promoting tourism to the town, etc.

Spy Hill Rural Telephone Company Limited, 1916-1977

  • LGA 64
  • Local Government
  • 1916-1977

On March 25, 1916, five farmers in the Spy Hill, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Telephones for the organization of a rural telephone company. The Spy Hill Rural Telephone Company Limited was organized according to the provisions of the Rural Telephones Act (S.S. 1908, c.7) and incorporated on May 31, 1916. The company was responsible for the construction, maintenance and operation of a telephone system for residents of the rural area around Spy Hill. The company's jurisdiction extended to the area in townships 18 and 19, ranges 30 and 31, west of the first meridian.

The company was managed by a president; vice-president; secretary-treasurer and board of directors, all elected at the company's annual meeting. The directors were responsible for deciding on rates, telephone extension applications, contracts and salaries. The secretary-treasurer attended all meetings, recorded the proceedings, and managed all financial transactions. The company had authority to enter land and premises in its jurisdiction in order to erect poles and string wires and cable, etc. The Department of Telephones provided advice and guidance to the company and ensured that the company's facilities met approved standards.

By the mid 1970s, the Saskatchewan Telecommunications Corporation (SaskTel) was able to provide rural areas with better quality and less costly telephone service than the rural telephone companies. In 1976, SaskTel established the Voluntary Assimilation Program, which encouraged rural telephone companies to wind-up their operations and transfer their assets and liabilities to the corporation. On November 30, 1976, the board of directors of the Spy Hill company passed a resolution accepting SaskTel's assimilation offer. The Spy Hill Rural Telephone Company Limited was dissolved in October 1977.

Wolseley (Sask.), 1898-

  • LGA 61
  • Local Government
  • 1898-

The Town of Wolseley is an urban municipality in southeast Saskatchewan incorporated on October 20, 1898 according to the provisions of Ordinance No. 43 of 1898. The first municipal election was held on November 8, 1898. Located 100 kilometres east of Regina on the Trans-Canada Highway, Wolseley was named after Garnet Joseph Wolseley, a Canadian general involved in the Riel Rebellion. The town is located in the Rural Municipality of Wolseley No. 155.

The town is governed by a council consisting of a mayor and at least two councillors, each elected for a three year term. The goals of the council are to provide good government; provide necessary services and facilities for all or part of the municipality; develop and maintain a safe and viable community; and foster economic, social and environmental well-being. The council holds jurisdiction over police and fire protection; water and sewer utilities; parks and recreation; and waste management.

The council makes decisions and exercises its power through the passage of resolutions and by-laws. By-laws enforced by the council include those relating to building; wild and domestic animals; nuisances; transport and transportation systems; streets and roads; businesses and business activities; signs and zoning. Council is also responsible for the collection of revenues; issuing tax and assessment notices; administration of the operating and capital budgets and preparation of annual financial statements.

The Town of Wolseley is currently (2009) administered by a mayor; six councillors; an administrator and an assistant administrator. The administrator (previously known as the town clerk) oversees the day to day operations of the town; advises on policy and ensures council policies are carried out. Council meets every first and third Monday of each month. Current subcommittees of council include Protective Services (Police); Protective Services (Fire); Environmental Health; Finance and Government services; Recreation and Culture; Public Works and Water Utility; and Strategic Development.

Valleyfield School District No. 2023, 1908-1945

  • LGA 69
  • Local Government
  • 1908-1945

On August 9, 1907, ratepayers in the Attica area northwest of Lanigan, Saskatchewan (NW 11-34-22 W2) petitioned the Commissioner of Education for the establishment of a school district. Golden Bridge School was the original proposed name, although Valleyfield was the one approved. On March 4, 1908 fourteen ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district, making it a unanimous decision. The School District was officially erected March 23, 1908. The first organizational meeting was held on February 5, 1909. J. Cooper was appointed secretary, J.G. Anderson was chairman, and C.B. McConnell was a trustee.

The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; and maintaining school records and accounts.

The original school house burned down on November 6, 1950 and the Shady Bluff school house was moved in. The School Unit became part of the Lanigan School Unit No. 40 in 1945. When the Valleyfield school was closed June 1952, the school house was moved to Lanigan to be used by the Lanigan School Unit No. 40.

Mayflower School District No. 866, 1903-1970

  • LGA 71
  • Local Government
  • 1903-1970

In 1902, ratepayers in the Alameda district petitioned the Council of Public Instruction of the North-West Territories for the formation of a school district. The application was rejected due to too few children to receive the grant. In 1903, another meeting was held and another petition submitted. This application was approved.

Mayflower School District No. 866 was established on July 4, 1903. The school was built at 4-3-W2 in Alameda Rural Municipality No. 3, near Oxbow. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings, and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; and maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district became part of the Oxbow School Unit No. 1, June 14, 1945. It was disorganized and consolidated into the Alameda Town School District No. 330 on October 20, 1970.

Strasbourg (Sask.), 1907-

  • LGA 72
  • Local Government
  • 1907-

The Town of Strasbourg is an urban municipality in southern Saskatchewan incorporated on July 1, 1907 under the provisions of The Municipal Amendment Ordinance of 1901. The town is located east of Last Mountain Lake and approximately 75 kilometres from Regina. The town's name was originally Strassburg until the spelling was changed to its current format in 1919. The town is located in the Rural Municipality of McKillop No. 220 and serves as the administrative centre of the rural municipality.

The town is governed by a council consisting of a mayor and councillors, each elected for a three year term. The goals of the council are to provide good government; provide necessary services and facilities for all or part of the municipality; develop and maintain a safe and viable community; and foster economic, social and environmental well-being. The council holds jurisdiction over police and fire protection; water and sewer utilities; parks and recreation and waste management.

The council makes decisions and exercises its power through the passage of resolutions and by-laws. By-laws enforced by council include those relating to building; wild and domestic animals; nuisances; transport and transportation systems; streets and roads; businesses and business activities; signs and zoning. Council is also responsible for the collection of revenues; issuing tax and assessment notices; administration of the operating and capital budgets and preparation of annual financial statements.

The Town of Strasbourg is currently (2010) governed by a mayor and six councillors. An administrator (previously known as the town clerk) oversees the day to day operations of the town; advises on policy and ensures council policies are carried out. Council meets every second Wednesday of the month. The town's current population is 732.

Rural Municipality of Garry No. 245, 1913-

  • LGA 73
  • Local Government
  • 1913-

The Rural Municipality of Garry No. 245 of Saskatchewan was incorporated on January 1, 1913 pursuant to the Rural Municipalities Act (S.S. 1908-09, c.6). The first municipal officials elected were C. Willis (reeve); J.R. Hart (secretary-treasurer); J. Fyfe, J. Foulds, J. Macuch, G. Quinton, A.B. Simpson, and H. Duguid (councillors). The municipality is located in southeast Saskatchewan and encompasses the area located in ranges 7, 8 and 9, townships 25, 26, and 27, west of the second meridian. The municipal office is located in Jedburgh.

The municipality is currently (2010) governed by an elected council comprised of a reeve and six councillors. All decisions are made by resolution or by-law. Council is assisted by an administrator, who manages the daily operations, and other staff required to maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreational facilities.

Leslie (Sask.), 1909-2006

  • LGA 74
  • Local Government
  • 1909-2006

The Village of Leslie was an urban municipality in southeastern Saskatchewan. It was incorporated on November 16, 1909 in accordance with The Village Act. The village was located east of the Quill Lakes and was 13 kilometres north west of Foam Lake. Thought to be named after John Leslie, a comptroller for the Canadian Pacific Railway, the village was located in the Rural Municipality of Elfros No. 307.

The village was governed by an elected council consisting of an overseer (later known as mayor) and councillors. The council was responsible for enforcing by-laws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; issuing tax and assessment notices; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets and collecting taxes and other fees. The council hired staff to manage the daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreational facilities. The secretary-treasurer (later known as the clerk) was responsible for the day to day operations and ensured that council was adhering to policy.

In 2006, the population of the village was approximately 20 people. On July 17, 2006, the Village of Leslie relinquished its status as a village and was dissolved. Administration of the area was taken over by the Rural Municipality of Elfros No. 307.

Rural Municipality of Millington No. 249, 1911-1951

  • LGA 77
  • Local Government
  • 1911-1951

The Rural Municipality of Millington No. 249 was a rural municipality in south central Saskatchewan. It was incorporated on December 11, 1911 in accordance with The Rural Municipality Act. It encompassed the communities of Duval, Semans and Govan and the areas in townships 25 to 27, ranges 19 to 21, west of the second meridian.

The rural municipality was governed by an elected council comprised of a reeve and six councillors. The secretary-treasurer managed the daily operations. The first municipal officials were H.A. Pelle (reeve); George Milne (secretary-treasurer) and Albert McFarlane, Hugh Holmes, John B. Newson, S.Swanson and J. Hunter (councilors).

On December 31, 1951 the Rural Municipality of Millington No. 249 was disorganized and the area was annexed to the adjoining rural municipalities of Last Mountain No. 250; Longlaketon No. 219 and Mount Hope No. 279.

Rural Municipality of Mount Hope No. 279, 1911-

  • LGA 81
  • Local Government
  • 1911-

The Rural Municipality of Mount Hope No. 279 of Saskatchewan was incorporated on December 18, 1911 pursuant to the Municipalities Act (S.S. 1908-09, c. 6). The first reeve elected was G.W. Booth. The first councilors were William Mcculloch, J.G. Mudock, W.W. Kemp, William H. Keirl, J.H. Murney, and H. Graham. The first secretary-treasurer was W.J. Wright. The municipality, located north of Regina, encompasses the village of Semans and the former village of Tate. It serves an area located in ranges 19, 20, and 21, townships 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30, west of the second meridian.

The municipal office is located in Semans. The municipality is currently (2010) administered by a reeve, six councilors, and an administrator, previously known as the secretary-treasurer. Their responsibilities include passing by-laws, maintaining cemeteries, collecting taxes, assisting in maintaining hospitals and roads, and preventing cruelty to animals. The Council meets once per month. The population as of 2009 is 633.

Resultados 151 a 160 de 180