Showing 154 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving
Local Government

Marine School District No. 1997, 1908-1944

  • LGA 14
  • Local Government
  • 1908-1944

On January 8, 1908, ratepayers in the Torquay, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. After the department revised the proposed boundaries, a second petition was filed on January 29, 1908. Departmental approval was granted and the first organizational meeting was held on February 25, 1908. Thirteen ratepayers voted in favor of the formation of the district; 6 ratepayers were against it. John A. Meyer, James L. Salmond and M. Pappenfus were elected trustees.

The Marine School District No. 1997 was established on March 9, 1908. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

A one room school, located on NE 35-2-12-W2, was opened in 1909 with Miss McLaughlin as the first teacher. On November 15, 1944 the duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Marine School District joined the Estevan School Unit No. 2. In 1953 the school was closed and the students conveyed to Torquay.

Green Mount School District No. 1702, 1906-1944

  • LGA 19
  • Local Government
  • 1906-1944

On November 1, 1906, ratepayers in the Torquay, Saskatchewan area petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. Departmental approval was granted and the first organizational meeting was held on December 8, 1906. Seven ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district and C. H. Johnston, John Johnson and John Mosser were elected trustees. The Green Mount School District No. 1702 was established on December 28, 1906.

The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The one room schoolhouse, located on SE 24-1-13-W2, opened in August, 1907 with Miss Emma Johnston as teacher. After many ratepayers argued that the school was not situated in a central location, a new school was built on SW 13-1-13-W2 in 1917. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Green Mount School District joined the Radville School Unit No. 3 on November 21, 1944. The school closed in the fall of 1958 and the students were conveyed to school in Oungre.

Whitewood (Sask.), 1892-

  • LGA 26
  • Local Government
  • 1892-

The Town of Whitewood is an urban municipality incorporated on December 31, 1892 under the provisions of An Ordinance to Incorporate the Town of Whitewood (No. 34 of 1892). The first municipal officials, elected on January 30, 1893 included James Grierson (mayor), four councilors and John Hawkes (town clerk).The town is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Town of Whitewood, named for the clumps of white poplars in the area, is an agricultural based community located at 7-16-2-W2 in southeastern Saskatchewan, approximately 175 kilometers east of Regina. The town is often referred to as Crossroad Country as it is intersected by two major highways, the Trans Canada and Highway No. 9. The town is situated in Willowdale Rural Municipality No. 153.

The town is currently (2006) governed by a mayor and six councilors, each elected to three year terms. Subcommittees of Council manage public services, community economic development and recreation. The general administration of the town is handled by an administrator and an office clerk. The current population is 947.

Rippowan School District No. 3984, 1917-1946

  • LGA 15
  • Local Government
  • 1917-1946

On July 14, 1916 ratepayers in the Hawarden, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. Departmental approval was granted and the first organizational meeting was held on November 5, 1917. Seven ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district; none was against it. J.E. Baird, Arthur Devitt Jr. and John Varty were elected trustees.

Rippowan School District No. 3984 was established on November 28, 1917. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants, settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The name of the school district referred to the county in Ontario where district residents, the A.H. Devitt family, originated from. The one room school, located on SW 4-29-4-W3, was opened on May 7, 1918, with Miss M.B. Hudson as teacher. On June 30, 1943, the school closed and the students were conveyed to Hawarden Consolidated School District. On January 21, 1946, the duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Rippowan School District joined the Davidson School Unit No. 31.

Edwards School District No. 2535, 1910-1963

  • LGA 18
  • Local Government
  • 1910-1963

On February 11, 1908, ratepayers in the Dilke, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. After several revisions to the proposed boundaries, the department granted approval and the first organizational meeting was held on October 2, 1909. Only two ratepayers voted and no further action was taken at that time. On January 26, 1910, the ratepayers filed a second petition, which was approved, and a meeting was held on March 5, 1910. Seven ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a district; none was against it. Matthew Young, Casper Schuler, and O.P. Holland were elected trustees.

The Edwards School District No. 2535 was established on March 9, 1910. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; settling disputes; administering grants; maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district took its name from Charles Edwards, a pioneer rancher in the district. Five students were taught in a farmhouse by Grace Belcher before the one room school, located on NW 17-21-24-W2, was built ca.1911. Miss Nellie Cameron was the first teacher. The school was destroyed by fire on January 9, 1930 and the students were taught in an unused house moved onto the school grounds until a new school opened in the fall of 1930.

The school closed in June, 1954 and the students were conveyed to other districts. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Edwards School District No. 2535 joined the Regina School Unit No. 21 on November 20, 1963.

Rereshill School District No. 4171, 1919-1951

  • LGA 16
  • Local Government
  • 1919-1951

In May, 1918, ratepayers in the Lashburn, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. After the department revised the boundaries of the proposed district, a second petition was filed and approved. The first organizational meeting was held on January 18, 1919. Fourteen ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district; one ratepayer was against it. William Bradley, Thomas Plewman and Lewis Howells were elected trustees.

Rereshill School District No. 4171 was established on April 16, 1919. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district name was suggested by district resident George Stewart, whose former home in Scotland was near a hill called Rereshill. The one room school, located at SE 3-47-26-W3, was opened on April 1, 1920 with Mrs. Ena Morgan as teacher. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Rereshill School District joined the Lloydminster School Unit No. 60 on November 28, 1951. The school closed in 1959 and the students were conveyed to other districts.

Little Bluff School District No. 387, 1895-1953

  • LGA 17
  • Local Government
  • 1895-1953

Around 1895, ratepayers in the Moosomin district petitioned the Council of Public Instruction of the North-West Territories for the formation of a school district. The petition was approved and the first organizational meeting was held on May 16, 1895. J.B. Crosson, William Wood and Arthur Draper were elected trustees. The Little Bluff Public School District No. 387 was established on September 9, 1895.

The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district boundaries were altered on August 11, 1898. A debenture to borrow $500.00 to build and furnish a schoolhouse was approved in 1899, and a one room school, located on NE 22-14-30-W1, opened on May 14, 1899. Miss Sadie E. Cleland was the first teacher with 14 students. From 1948 to 1954, the school was closed and students were conveyed to another district. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Little Bluff School District joined the Moosomin School Unit No. 9 on July 22, 1953. The school reopened in 1954 and operated until June, 1960.

Craik School District No. 891

  • LGA 12
  • Local Government
  • 1903-1957

In June, 1903, ratepayers in the village of Craik and the surrounding area petitioned the Department of Education of the North-West Territories to establish a school district. Departmental approval was granted and a meeting to vote on the formation of the district and elect trustees was held in Craik on August 14, 1903. Craik School District No. 891 was established on September 14, 1903. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings, and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

Approximately seven children were taught in a private residence until the first schoolhouse was built in Craik in 1904. In 1905, the school district came under the direction of the Department of Education of the new province of Saskatchewan. In 1908, Craik School District became a town school district (its boundaries remained unchanged) and a larger school building was erected. After the building burnt down in 1920, a new eight room school was built and all elementary and high school grades were taught there. In 1960 a separate high school facility was built. On April 1, 1957 the duties and powers of the district board were revised when Craik School District became part of the Davidson School Unit No. 31.

Swea School District No. 139, 1888-1964

  • LGA 21
  • Local Government
  • 1888-1964

Around 1888, ratepayers in the Stockholm area petitioned the Board of Education for the North-West Territories for the establishment of a school district. An organizational meeting was held on September 24, 1888 at the residence of C.O. Hofstrand. The majority of ratepayers present were in favour of forming a school district and C.O. Hofstrand, Alex Steenberg and Eric Zakrison were elected trustees.

The Swea School District No. 139 was established on November 2, 1888. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district was named Swea in honor of the wife of the first chairman of the school board. The students were taught at the C.O. Hofstrand residence by Annie Hendrickson until the one room school opened on July 11, 1891. Located on NW 9-19A-2-W2, the school originally operated only in the summer months. The school district boundaries were altered on April 27, 1891, October 6, 1905 and October 8, 1907. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Swea School District joined the Potashville School Unit No. 25 on February 28, 1964. The school closed in June, 1965.

Erin School District No. 649, 1901-1944

  • LGA 22
  • Local Government
  • 1901-1944

In 1901, ratepayers in the Lampman district petitioned the Council of Public Instruction of the North-West Territories for the formation of a school district. The proposed boundaries of the school district were revised several times. Fairview and Mount Pleasant were suggested as names before Willmar was approved as the choice.

Willmar School District No. 649 was established on December 6, 1901. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The board of trustees borrowed $250.00 to build and furnish a one room school, located on NW 16-6-4-W2 and opened in 1902. A few years later, the school was moved to NE 17-6-4-W2. On November 17, 1914 the name of Willmar School District was changed to Erin School District No. 649. The name was suggested by C. Ireland, Secretary-Treasurer of the former and new district. The boundaries of the district were altered on November 20, 1914 and December 8, 1914. The newly established Willmar School District No. 3476 encompassed the hamlet of Willmar and surrounding area while Erin School District No. 649 included the western portion of the original Willmar district.

Erin School remained closed for the majority of 1915. In the fall, the school was moved to NE 18-6-4-W2 and reopened in 1916 with Miss L.E. Dallas as teacher. The school closed in 1936 due to the small number of school age children in the area and remained so until 1945, when it reopened with seven students. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Erin School District joined the Estevan School Unit No. 2 on November 15, 1944. In 1952, the school was closed and students were conveyed to Willmar School.

Resultaten 131 tot 140 van 154