Mostrar 180 resultados

Registo de autoridade
Local Government

Allan Rural Telephone Company, 1908-1976

  • LGA 08
  • Local Government
  • 1908-1976

In December 1908, a meeting took place to organize a rural telephone company in Allan, SK and a provisional board of directors was chosen. It was decided that committees would canvass the rural areas near Allan to secure subscriptions to this service. On January 9, 1909, the first meeting of the provisional board of directors took place, with J.A. Beaver as president, Fred B. Williams as secretary-treasurer. The first stockholder's meeting took place on June 19, 1909, when W.F. Vawter was formally elected president and Fred B. Williams elected secretary-treasurer. Directors elected for each circuit and the town were W.E. Redick, M. Loran, R.E. Beaver, W.F. Vawter, N. Lang, F.B. Doan, Stanley Bowser and N.F. Allan.

Regulated by the Saskatchewan Government Telephones Department, the company proceeded to construct telephone lines in the area serving the town and surrounding district. The board of directors decided on rates, telephone extension applications, contracts and salaries.

In 1954, the Allan Rural Telephone Co. and the Allan East Rural Telephone Co. (incorp. 1920) were amalgamated as the Allan East Rural Telephone Co. During 1957, the Elstow Rural Telephone Co. (incorp. 1910) held joint meetings with the Allan East Rural Telephone Co. and on January 25, 1958, these two companies were amalgamated. At this same meeting, it was decided that the name be changed to the Allan Rural Telephone Co.

In 1976, SaskTel offered to absorb this company and it was unanimously accepted by all subscribers at a general meeting on December 14, 1976.

The Guernsey Rural Telephone Company, Limited, 1914-1977

  • LGA 9
  • Local Government
  • 1914-1977

On March 22, 1913, residents in the Guernsey, Saskatchewan district met to discuss the organization of a rural telephone company. A petition requesting permission to organize was sent to the Minister of Telephones on August 23, 1913. The Guernsey Rural Telephone Company, Limited was incorporated as a joint-stock company on March 9, 1914. The company's aim was to construct, maintain and operate a rural telephone system.

The company included a board of directors, president, secretary and general members. The secretary was responsible for maintaining records and accounts, taking minutes, collecting fees and issuing receipts, preparing financial statements and acting as a liaison with the Department of Telephones and various rural municipalities.

On December 17, 1976, members voted in favor of accepting the Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel) offer to assume responsibility for the provision of telephone service in the area. The last meeting of the board was held on March 29, 1977. The company was assimilated by SaskTel on April 15, 1977 and dissolved on July 7, 1977.

Euclid School District No. 4660, 1926-1959

  • LGA 01
  • Local Government
  • 1926-1959

The Euclid School District No. 4660 was formed in 1926 near the town of Neilburg, Saskatchewan. The name was derived from a suggestion by local resident, William Mitchell, Euclid being the street where he had lived in Vancouver. The board purchased the former Manito Lake School District No. 2218 school building and it was moved to the site on part of SW 15-44-25 W3.

The first teacher, Francis Duncan, held classes in the one-room school house with about 20 students enrolled in grades 1 through 10.

The school closed in 1951 with students conveyed to Neilburg Central but the board continued to actively represent the Euclid School District No. 4660 in the Lloydminster School Unit No. 60 [now known as Battle River School Division No. 60] until 1959.

West Otthon School District No. 464, 1898-1978

  • LGA 02
  • Local Government
  • 1898-1978

West Otthon School District No. 464 was formed in 1898 and was located at McKim at what was then Assiniboia, Northwest Territories. George J. Sharman held the first teaching post when the school opened in the spring of 1899. In 1905 the school district became part of the Saskatchewan school system. Also in 1905, the West Otthon School District boundaries changed with the formation of the Oak Hill School District. In 1968, West Otthon was absorbed by Otthon Central School District and operated as such until 1978 when it became part of the Yorkdale School Division No.36.

Monmawala School District No. 3074, 1913-1951

  • LGA 04
  • Local Government
  • 1913-1951

The Monmawala School District No. 3074 was established in 1913 near the town of Macrorie, Saskatchewan. It was officially named Manawata School District No. 3074, however, Monmawalla was used in the official correspondence. From 1915 onward one 'l' was dropped and the name became Monmawala School District No. 3074. The name was taken from the Chit-Chat page of an issue of the Winnipeg Free Press by local resident, Edgar Hagerman.

The schoolhouse was built on land location NW14-27-9-W3 in the summer of 1914 and classes began in August of that year. The first teacher was Margaret Mulvihill and approximately 20 students enrolled in the initial class.

A fire destroyed the school building in 1931. It was rebuilt with insurance money and school continued until 1949. The school district then became part of the Macrorie Consolidated School District No. 3600 which formed part of the Outlook School Unit.

The Monmawala School District No. 3074 board of trustees disbanded in 1951.

Vallar School District No. 1020, 1904-1953

  • LGA 13
  • Local Government
  • 1904-1953

On August 10, 1903 ratepayers in the Gerald area (25-19-32-W1) petitioned the Department of Education of the North-West Territories for the establishment of a school district. When the petition was denied, the ratepayers reduced the boundaries of the proposed district and filed another petition on April 7, 1904. Departmental approval was granted and the first organizational meeting was held on April 21, 1904. Nine ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district; 3 were against it. Valdimar Gislason, Gunnar Johannsson and Albert Paulson were elected trustees.

Vallar School District No. 1020 was established on May 9, 1904. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

Vallar means field or flat piece of ground in Icelandic, the origin of many of the first settlers in the Gerald area. The one room school, located at NW-21-19-32-W1, was built c.1904. In 1905, Vallar School District came under the jurisdiction of the Department of Education of the new province of Saskatchewan. The boundaries of the district were altered in 1923 and 1931. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Vallar School District became part of the Moosomin School Unit No. 9 on July 22, 1953. The school closed in 1957 and the students were conveyed to another district.

Rereshill School District No. 4171, 1919-1951

  • LGA 16
  • Local Government
  • 1919-1951

In May, 1918, ratepayers in the Lashburn, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. After the department revised the boundaries of the proposed district, a second petition was filed and approved. The first organizational meeting was held on January 18, 1919. Fourteen ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district; one ratepayer was against it. William Bradley, Thomas Plewman and Lewis Howells were elected trustees.

Rereshill School District No. 4171 was established on April 16, 1919. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district name was suggested by district resident George Stewart, whose former home in Scotland was near a hill called Rereshill. The one room school, located at SE 3-47-26-W3, was opened on April 1, 1920 with Mrs. Ena Morgan as teacher. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Rereshill School District joined the Lloydminster School Unit No. 60 on November 28, 1951. The school closed in 1959 and the students were conveyed to other districts.

Little Bluff School District No. 387, 1895-1953

  • LGA 17
  • Local Government
  • 1895-1953

Around 1895, ratepayers in the Moosomin district petitioned the Council of Public Instruction of the North-West Territories for the formation of a school district. The petition was approved and the first organizational meeting was held on May 16, 1895. J.B. Crosson, William Wood and Arthur Draper were elected trustees. The Little Bluff Public School District No. 387 was established on September 9, 1895.

The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district boundaries were altered on August 11, 1898. A debenture to borrow $500.00 to build and furnish a schoolhouse was approved in 1899, and a one room school, located on NE 22-14-30-W1, opened on May 14, 1899. Miss Sadie E. Cleland was the first teacher with 14 students. From 1948 to 1954, the school was closed and students were conveyed to another district. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Little Bluff School District joined the Moosomin School Unit No. 9 on July 22, 1953. The school reopened in 1954 and operated until June, 1960.

Craik School District No. 891

  • LGA 12
  • Local Government
  • 1903-1957

In June, 1903, ratepayers in the village of Craik and the surrounding area petitioned the Department of Education of the North-West Territories to establish a school district. Departmental approval was granted and a meeting to vote on the formation of the district and elect trustees was held in Craik on August 14, 1903. Craik School District No. 891 was established on September 14, 1903. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings, and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

Approximately seven children were taught in a private residence until the first schoolhouse was built in Craik in 1904. In 1905, the school district came under the direction of the Department of Education of the new province of Saskatchewan. In 1908, Craik School District became a town school district (its boundaries remained unchanged) and a larger school building was erected. After the building burnt down in 1920, a new eight room school was built and all elementary and high school grades were taught there. In 1960 a separate high school facility was built. On April 1, 1957 the duties and powers of the district board were revised when Craik School District became part of the Davidson School Unit No. 31.

Swea School District No. 139, 1888-1964

  • LGA 21
  • Local Government
  • 1888-1964

Around 1888, ratepayers in the Stockholm area petitioned the Board of Education for the North-West Territories for the establishment of a school district. An organizational meeting was held on September 24, 1888 at the residence of C.O. Hofstrand. The majority of ratepayers present were in favour of forming a school district and C.O. Hofstrand, Alex Steenberg and Eric Zakrison were elected trustees.

The Swea School District No. 139 was established on November 2, 1888. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district was named Swea in honor of the wife of the first chairman of the school board. The students were taught at the C.O. Hofstrand residence by Annie Hendrickson until the one room school opened on July 11, 1891. Located on NW 9-19A-2-W2, the school originally operated only in the summer months. The school district boundaries were altered on April 27, 1891, October 6, 1905 and October 8, 1907. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Swea School District joined the Potashville School Unit No. 25 on February 28, 1964. The school closed in June, 1965.

Resultados 131 a 140 de 180