- LGA 68
- Local Government
On February 17, 1914, a committee of ratepayers consisting of W.F. Chidister, Charles M. Clark and Christ Berger petitioned the Department of Education for the establishment of a school district in the Cadillac, Saskatchewan district. A meeting was held on April 17, 1914 to organize the district and elect trustees. There were thirteen school age children in the proposed district at the time. Driscol Lake School District No. 3336 was established on May 21, 1914 in accordance with the provisions of The School Act. On August 3, 1914, the school district received approval to borrow $2200.00 to build and furnish a school and other buildings. The school, located on 13-7-14-W3, was opened in 1915 with Miss O'Connor as the first teacher.
The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school and grounds, buildings and equipment; hiring qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes and maintaining school records and accounts.
The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Driscol Lake School District No. 3336 joined the Shaunavon School Unit No. 7 on August 20, 1945. The Unit took over the assets and liabilities of the district effective September 15, 1945. The school was closed in 1946; the building was sold and moved to Val Marie, where it was used as a hardware store.