Showing 127 results

Authority record
Primary Agency

Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan Veterans' Civil Security Corps

  • GA 101
  • Primary Agency
  • 1940-1945

In June 1940, the province of Saskatchewan held meetings with Col. C.D. La Nauze of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and representatives of veterans organizations (the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League, Army and Navy Veterans in Canada, Canadian Corps, Amputation Association of the Great War, Imperial Veterans in Canada, and Old Contemptibles) for the purposes of establishing a security force that would mediate and control anti-British activities. The discussions were inspired by a shared perception that the Federal government was taking insufficient steps to deal with peace and order at home. It was also believed that establishing an organization to identify "true" threats would reduce public paranoia and suspicion of persons of "enemy origin” and those believed to have never fully assimilated into the traditions and loyalties of Canada. As a result, there would be less persecution and boycotting of innocent persons, businesses, and groups. Since the province was not eligible to establish military forces, the government instead provided an order in council on June 8, 1940 for the development of the Saskatchewan Veterans' Civil Security Corps (SVCSC). This organization comprised of volunteers with military backgrounds would support and cooperate with law enforcement agencies and civil governments to ensure the security and safety of the state and the public. The Corps did not advocate for the protection of veterans' rights nor function as "Home Guards" or veterans' reserve companies attached to established military units.

The Corps organized itself along military lines so that if the Government of Canada required an expansion of home defence, the Corps could be readily adapted for that purpose. The Corps established two battalions each in Saskatoon and Regina, and single battalions in North Battleford, Prince Albert, Yorkton, Moose Jaw-Swift Current, and Weyburn. The battalions followed the territorial divisions of the RCMP to better facilitate cooperation with that agency - and in the hopes of establishing a parallel presence in every community with an RCMP detachment. Under each battalion were companies, platoons, and sections. A corps headquarters was set up in Regina.

The Corps was administered by a Commandant (who also served as a Honourary Commissioner of the Provincial Police) and by a General Staff Officer. Brigadier-General Alex Ross served as the first Corps Commandant from 1940 until August 20, 1943 when he took the position in Ottawa of Director Civil Air Raid Precautions in Canada. Colonel Alfred Gaviller Styles, appointed Commandant by order in council 952/43 (August 20, 1943), succeeded him. Styles served in that capacity until 1945. The only other paid staff member was Captain J.F. McKay, who was retained as General Staff Officer of the Corps with order in council 787/40 (June 28, 1940). The Corps headquarters was responsible for activities such as administering expense claims of the battalion, coordinating further investigation by the RCMP and other law enforcement agencies including drawing in the assistance of Department of National Defence; producing and distributing orders, circulars and newsletters to battalions and other interested parties; providing updates on changes to officers (appointments, promotions, resignations); summarizing intelligence/information gathering activities of battalions and companies, and liaising with similar organizations. The Commandant was responsible for appointing battalion and subdivision commanding officers, who, in turn, selected the company commanders. All appointments were subject to approval of the immediate superior office and had to be confirmed by the Corps' headquarters. Officers commanding subdivisions and battalions were, as much as possible, persons holding commissioned rank either in the Canadian Militia or in the British Forces. Each battalion headquarters had an intelligence officer who was responsible for providing intelligence assignments and for liaison with the local subdivision officer of the RCMP. Individual battalions were responsible for the detection of activities that were prohibited by the Defence of Canada Regulations, conducting patrols, submitting strength returns, investigating charges of subversive activities, clearing innocent persons from false accusation of disloyalty, detecting the circulation of subversive literature, establishing intelligence gathering posts and allocating sufficient resources for complete geographic coverage, and coordinating training opportunities in marksmanship, fire fighting, first aid, air raid precautions, map reading, and counter-espionage.

General membership of the Corps was comprised of volunteers sworn in as special constables (as authorized by order in council 734/40) who were forbidden from acting as special constables. Initial membership in the Corps was confined to those persons who had seen active service in British or Commonwealth forces or with the RCMP, but the Corps later permitted associate membership for those persons who were over military age and/or were unable to participate in military service. Recruitment of members often proceeded with the assistance of local veterans organizations that were empowered to verify that applicants were of "good character and responsibility." Although members were volunteers, officers in the Corps were reimbursed for travel and other expenses incurred in operating the Corps.

On February 10, 1945 the Corps Commandant gave verbal orders to all subdivision and battalion commanders to stand down. The Province ceased funding to the Corps on April 30, 1945.

Saskatchewan Securities Commission

  • Primary Agency

From about 1988 to 2003 this agency was called Saskatchewan Securities Commission (Director, Bill Wheatley, Calder Hart, Chairman, Marcel de la Gorgendiere). In 2003, the province’s financial services regulators were merged into a single agency - Saskatchewan Financial Services Commission, and Dave Wild was Director, Dean Murrison, Legal. The SSC function was moved to the Securities Division of the new agency. In 2012 changes were made again to make this agency an independent agency of the Treasury Board, and the name of the agency changed to Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority of Saskatchewan, Dean Murrison, Director.

Saskatchewan. Supreme Court

  • GA 84
  • Primary Agency
  • 1907-1918

On September 1, 1905, the province of Saskatchewan was created. The court system that existed during the territorial period remained in place in the province until September 16, 1907, when The Judicature Act (S.S. 1907, c.8) came into effect. The act established a new court system consisting of the Supreme Court, the District Court and the Surrogate Court.

The Supreme Court consisted of a Chief Justice and four puisne judges who also served as ex officio justices of the peace and coroners for the province. Although the judges were required to reside in Regina, the seat of government for the province, every judge had jurisdiction throughout Saskatchewan and went on a trial circuit. Judges could preside over trials individually as well as sit en banc as an appeal court in Regina. In 1913, the Court was expanded to include the Chief Justice and five puisne judges and quorum for sitting en banc increased from three to four judges.

Members of the first Supreme Court were Justices E. L. Wetmore (Chief Justice); James Emile Pierre Preudergast; H.W. Newlands; T.C. Johnstone and J.Y. Lamont.

In 1907, the province was divided into eight judicial districts (Cannington, Moosomin, Yorkton, Regina, Moose Jaw, Saskatoon, Prince Albert and Battleford). By 1915 there were seventeen judicial districts. Criminal matters were usually heard in the judicial district where the crime occurred while civil matters were heard where the plaintiff or defendant resided or where the property in dispute was located. Court personnel, including local registrars, deputy registrars and process issuers, were appointed in each judicial district to provide assistance to the judges.

On March 1, 1918 the Supreme Court of Saskatchewan was abolished and the Court of King's Bench and the Court of Appeal were established.

Tourism British Columbia

  • Primary Agency
  • 1977-

Name was changed in early 1977 from Travel Industry, and became a provincial Crown Corporation on June 27, 1997. Tourism British Columbia is the collective name of the tourism promotion for the following ministries: Ministry of the Provincial Secretary and Travel Industry (1977 to December 1978); Ministry of Tourism and Small Business Development (December 1978 to November. 23, 1979); Ministry of Industry, Tourism, and Small Business Development (November 24, 1979 to January 10, 1980); Ministry of Tourism (January 11, 1980 to November 5, 1986); Ministry of Tourism, Recreation and Culture (November. 6, 1986 to October 1989), Ministry of Tourism (November 1989 to March 1991); Ministry of Development, Trade and Tourism (April to November 1991); Ministry of Tourism and Ministry Responsible for Culture (November 1991 to 1993); Ministry of Small Business and Culture (1993 to June 26, 1997),

United States. Department of Agriculture

  • Primary Agency
  • 1862-

Established on May 15, 1862 as an independent Department to be headed by a commissioner without Cabinet status. Following lobbying efforts, the department was made as an executive department on February 15, 1889.

Results 121 to 127 of 127