Showing 7732 resultsAuthority record
- Corporate body
- PA 109
Albert William Bannister was born on December 25, 1861 to Edwin and Caroline Bannister (neé Hill) in Hill Ridware, Mavesyn Ridware, Lichfield, Staffordshire, England. In 1879, he was indentured to Henry and George Brown to apprentice as a carpenter and builder. After completion of his apprenticeship, in 1883 he moved from Kings Bromley, Staffordshire, England to the North-West Territories. Bannister initially settled in Long Lake and then Pense, North-West Territories. During the 1885 Rebellion, Bannister drove a transport from Swift Current to Battleford via boat. By 1887, Bannister had visited England and moved to Regina, Saskatchewan to help construct Government House. Bannister also worked as caretaker at the Receiver-General's office from 1919 until his retirement in 1933.
On August 24, 1890, Bannister married Ellen Maria Evans in Regina, North-West Territories. Ellen Maria Evans was born February 9, 1866 to William and Emano Evans (neé Blackwall Cantrell) in Hulme Walfield, Cheshire, England. Prior to 1890, the family moved to the North-West Territories, Canada. Together, Albert William and Ellen Bannister had six children: Percy, (Walter) Harvey, Hettie Priscilla, (Albert) William, Nellie Marion, and Edwin. Albert William Bannister, Sr. died in 1947.
A. William Bannister, also known as William Bannister, Albert Bannister, and Bill Bannister, was born on March 21, 1898. He was educated at Victoria School and Central Collegiate in Regina. In 1917, Bannister joined the 77th Battery and went to England as a signaler. Following the war, Bannister played with the Regina Roughriders Rugby Club. He then worked as a salesman for Hudson's Bay Wholesale and McNull and Co. for 45 years. Bannister continued to reside in Regina as of 1981. Bannister married Jean Green of Medicine Hat, Alberta in May 1924. They had three children: Mildred Lockwood (married name), William Edwin Bannister, and Jean Matchett (married name).
- PA 446
- Corporate body
The Woman's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) of the North-West Territories was a non-denominational woman's organization established in 1886, when Letitia Youmans, President of the Canadian WCTU., visited the Territories and organized Unions (local chapters) at Morley, Regina and Calgary. Mrs. W.W. Andrews of Qu'Appelle was named Superintendent of the North-West Territories in 1886 and went on to organize several additional Unions in 1887 including Qu'Appelle, Wolseley and Broadview. The first convention of the territorial Union was held in Calgary on October 5 and 6 , 1904. The organization was based on the belief that the abuse of alcohol was the cause of unemployment, disease, prostituion, poverty and immorality. The WCTU campaigned for legal prohibition of all alcoholic beverages and promoted sobriety, thrift, duty and family sanctity along with woman's suffrage and allowances for mothers.
In 1905, when Alberta and Saskatchewan became provinces, the Woman's Christian Temperance Union of the North-West Territories was renamed the Alberta and Saskatchewan Woman's Temperance Union. The officers of the Union included a president; vice-president; corresponding secretary; recording secretary; treasurer and secretary. Superintendents were responsible for the various departments, including organization; evangelistic work; purity and mother's meetings; and anti-narcotics. Officers and the superintendents of departments comprised the Executive Committee.
Local Unions in Saskatchewan included Abernethy; Arcola; Battleford; Carnduff; Cupar; Drinkwater; Estevan; Grenfell; Hanley; Indian Head; Manor; Maple Creek; Milestone; Moose Jaw; Oxbox; Prince Albert; Qu'Appelle; Radisson; Rouleau; Regina; Saltcoats; Saskatoon; Swift Current; Wapella; Yellow Grass; and Yorkton.
In 1912, the Alberta and Saskatchewan Union was split into two seperate provincial Unions: the Alberta Provincial Woman's Christian Temperance Union and the Saskatchewan Provincial Woman's Christian Temperance Union.