Mostrar 179 resultados

Registo de autoridade
Local Government

Board of Education for the Regina Public School District No. 4 of Saskatchewan and the Regina Collegiate Institute, 1966-1978

  • LGA 47
  • Local Government
  • 1966-1978

In 1965, The School Act was passed by the Saskatchewan Government, allowing for the amalgamation of school boards. On January 1, 1966, the Board of the Regina Public School District No. 4 of Saskatchewan and the Board of the Regina Collegiate Institute School District No. 1 (High School) amalgamated to form the Board of Education for the Regina Public School District No. 4 of Saskatchewan and the Regina Collegiate Institute. The first meeting of the new Board was held on January 3, 1966. The first Board consisted of A.S. Cochrane (chairman); Dr. J.J.A. McLurg (vice-chairman) and seven members (A.S. Cochrane; Dr. J.J.A. McLurg; B.G. Brown; Ruth Mathison Buck; G.A. Dawley; J.A. Griffin and H. Ingham).

The Board was responsible for administering the public elementary and high schools in the City of Regina. In 1966, the Board was responsible for Balfour Technical School; 45 public elementary schools and 6 collegiates. The Board was elected through a public vote held every three years. Funding was secured through provincial grants and locally generated revenues. The Board's duties and powers included administering and managing the educational affairs of the school district; exercising general supervision and control over the schools in the district; approving administrative procedures pertaining to the internal organization, management and supervision of the schools; providing and maintaining school accomodation, equipment and facilities; and appointing and employing qualified teachers, principals and other necessary staff.

The administration office was located at 1860 Lorne Street. Senior administrative staff included the Director and Superintendent, who served as the chief executive officer; the Deputy Director and Deputy Superintendent; the Planning and Research Officer; the Secretary-Treasurer; the Chief Clerk and the Business Manager. Superintendents; assistant superintendents; consultants; principals, teachers and clerical and maintenance staff were also part of the administrative organization.

In 1978, all school districts became school divisions pursuant to the Education Act (S.S. 1978, c.17). The Regina Public School District No. 4 of Saskatchewan was disestablished and ceased to exist on January 1, 1979 while the Regina Collegiate Institute School District No. 1 (High School) was disestablished effective March 30, 1979. The Regina School Division No. 4 of Saskatchewan was established effective January 1, 1979 to continue administering and operating the public elementary and high schools in Regina.

Forest School District No. 188, 1890-1963

  • LGA 20
  • Local Government
  • 1890-1963

Around 1890, ratepayers in the Lumsden district petitioned the Board of Education for the North-West Territories to establish a school district. The first organizational meeting was held on May 5, 1890 at the James G. Mutch residence. The ratepayers in attendance were in favour of the proposed district and John Balfour, Robert Kinnon and W.C. Hamilton were elected trustees.

The Forest Public School District No. 188 was established on May 16, 1890. John Balfour and James G. Mutch were appointed chairman and secretary-treasurer respectively. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

In June, 1890, Miss Maggie Hamilton began teaching 14 students in a local church. The board borrowed $400.00 to build a one room school, located on SE 10-19-22-W2, approximately eight miles southwest of Lumsden. The school opened on October 3, 1890 and originally operated only during certain months in the summer. The boundaries of the school district were altered on March 15, 1897 and December 10, 1904. In 1908, a new brick schoolhouse was built.

In 1949, the school closed and 10 students were conveyed to the Lumsden and Cottonwood school districts. The school reopened in August, 1950 but closed again in the fall of 1957 due to the small number of school age children in the area. On August 21, 1962, lands in the Forest School District were transferred to the Lumsden School District No. 449. The school reopened in August, 1962 and operated until June, 1964. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Forest School District joined the Regina School Unit No. 21 on November 20, 1963.

Rural Municipality of Lomond No. 37, 1911-

  • LGA 27
  • Local Government
  • 1911-

The Rural Municipality of Lomond No. 37 is a rural municipality (RM) in Saskatchewan incorporated on December 11, 1911 under The Rural Municipality Act (S.S. 1908-09, c.6). The R.M. of Lomond, located just south of the City of Weyburn, encompasses the Village of Goodwater and the Hamlet of Colgate. It serves the area located in ranges 12 to 16, west of the second meridian, townships 3 to 7. The municipality was named after Loch Lomond in Scotland.

The municipal office is located in Goodwater. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councilors and an administrator, previously known as the secretary-treasurer. Their responsibilities include passing by-laws, collecting taxes, and maintaining roads and cemeteries.

Creelman (Sask.), 1906-

  • LGA 30
  • Local Government
  • 1906-

The Village of Creelman is an urban municipality incorporated on April 6, 1906 under the provisions of The Village Ordinance. The village is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees. The village was originally administered by an overseer, councillors, and a secretary-treasurer.

The Village of Creelman is an agricultural based community located on the west half of section 16, township 10, range 10, west of the second meridian, 90 kilometers northwest of the City of Weyburn in the southeast corner of Saskatchewan. The village straddles Highway 33 between Fillmore and Heward and is located within Fillmore Rural Municipality No. 96. Although homesteaders in the area originally named the village Hazel, the Canadian Pacific Railway changed the name in 1904 to Creelman in honour of A. Robert Creelman, a solicitor for the railway at the time.

In 2005, the village covered an area of 1.15 square kilometers and had a population of 85. The village's municipal officials included a mayor, four councillors and an administrator.

Dundurn (Sask.), 1980-

  • LGA 29
  • Local Government
  • 1980-

The Town of Dundurn is an urban municipality incorporated on November 1, 1980. Dundurn was originally incorporated as a village on July 7, 1905 and retained that status until 1980. The town is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Town of Dundurn, named for Dundurn Castle in Scotland, is an agricultural based community located in central Saskatchewan. It is situated approximately 30 kilometers south of the City of Saskatoon on Highway No. 11 and is located in Dundurn Rural Municipality No. 314.

The town is currently (2006) administered by a mayor, five councillors, a treasurer and an administrator. The current population is 596.

Casavant School District No. 3127, 1913-1973

  • LGA 35
  • Local Government
  • 1913-1973

In July 1913, a committee of ratepayers in the Vonda, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. At a meeting held by the committee on August 11, 1913, 10 resident ratepayers voted in favor of the district; none was opposed. The trustees elected were Clotere Denis, Emile Casavant and W. Richard.

Casavant School District No. 3127 was officially established on September 22, 1913 in accordance with the provisions of the Schools Act. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school and grounds, buildings and equipment; hiring qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes and maintaining school records and accounts.

In December 1913, the Board of Trustees borrowed $1800 to build and furnish a school house with a teachers' residence. The one room schoolhouse was located at NW 23-37-1-W3.

The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Casavant School District joined the Wakaw School Unit No. 48 in 1952. The rural school was closed in June, 1961. On September 1, 1961, Casavant School District was transferred to the Saskatoon (East) School Unit No. 41. Casavant and Dinelle's School District No. 1176 were consolidated to form the Casavant Central School Board, which administered a centralized school located in the hamlet of St. Denis.

On July 24, 1973, Casavant School District was disestablished and the lands from the Casavant district were consolidated with Vonda School District No. 1312 and Vonda Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 18.

Truax (Sask.), 1912-1970

  • LGA 43
  • Local Government
  • 1912-1970

The Village of Truax, Saskatchewan was an urban municipality incorporated on September 9, 1912. The town was originally to have been named Schuett after Joseph Schuett, one of the first homesteaders in the district, but was named Truax, after Reuben Truax of Ontario, a close friend of Martin Schuett Sr. The Village of Truax was located on the Canadian National Railway line between Moose Jaw and Radville.

The village was governed by an elected council that could hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council included enforcing bylaws; waste management; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices, and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Village of Truax was governed originally by an overseer, councilors, and a secretary-treasurer. Later, the governance structure of Saskatchewan villages changed to include a mayor (formerly the overseer), councilors and a secretary-treasurer. In Truax, the first overseer was F.A. Bennett, and the first secretary-treasurer was Joseph Duck. In February 1923, a fire consumed the Municipal Office building in Truax, destroying many of the records for the village.

On December 31, 1970, the Village of Truax reverted to a hamlet and sometime before 2002 the hamlet was dissolved. The residents of the community came under the jurisdiction of Elmsthorpe Rural Municipality No. 100.

Outlook School Unit No. 32, 1945-1978

  • LGA 46
  • Local Government
  • 1945-1978

Outlook School Unit No. 32 of Saskatchewan was established on August 27, 1945 pursuant to The Larger School Units Act (SS 1944, c.41). The Unit originally consisted of 106 rural and village public school districts, which were arranged in five subunits. On September 22, 1945, the Board of the Unit assumed office and took over the assets and liabilities of the school districts under its control. The Board was elected and consisted of five members (one for each of the subunits) who served two year terms. The Unit office was located in the town of Outlook, which is located approximately 90 kilometres southwest of Saskatoon.

The Board of the Outlook School Unit No. 32 was responsible for administering and managing each school district in the unit and for generally supervising and controlling each school. The Board provided buildings, equipment and supplies; hired qualified teachers; paid teachers their monthly salaries; and dealt with attendance, transportation and disciplinary issues. The Board was assisted by a secretary-treasurer, who managed the finances and kept minutes of Board meetings. The Superintendent of Schools for the Unit, appointed by the Minister of Education, was responsible for the general supervision of the schools and conferred with teachers and the Board on various issues.

In 1978, the Larger School Units Act was replaced by the Education Act (SS 1978). Outlook School Unit No. 32 became Outlook School Division No. 32 effective January 1, 1979.

Bjorkdale (Sask.), 1968-

  • LGA 50
  • Local Government
  • 1968-

Bjorkdale is an urban municipality which was founded as a town in 1928 and later incorporated as a village on April 1, 1968. Bjorkdale is an agricultural based community in the eastern central part of Saskatchewan, approximately 170 kilometres south east of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. It is located on NE 14-43-12 in the Rural Municipality of Bjorkdale No. 426.

The town of Bjorkdale was named for Charles Bjork, of Sweden, who settled two miles east of the present townsite in 1904.

The village is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The village currently (2009) has a population of 201 and is administered by a mayor, two councilors and an administrator.

Wolseley School Division No. 25, 1979-1993

  • LGA 56
  • Local Government
  • 1979-1993

The Wolseley Consolidated School District No. 25 of Saskatchewan became the Wolseley School Division No. 25 of Saskatchewan effective January 1, 1979, pursuant to the Education Act (S.S. 1978, c.17). The Division was based around Wolseley, Saskatchewan. The Board of the school division was responsible for administering the public elementary and secondary schools within its borders. The five member Board was elected through public vote. Funding to administer and operate the schools in the Division was provided through provincial grants and locally-generated revenue. The Division was located within the Qu'Appelle Valley Superintendency No. 27.

The responsibilities of the Board were the same as those assigned to the separate and francophone school boards in the province. The Board's duties and powers included administering and managing the educational affairs of the school division; exercising general supervision and control over the schools in the division; approving administrative procedures pertaining to the internal organization, management and supervision of the schools; providing and maintaining school accommodation, equipment and facilities; and appointing and employing qualified teachers, principals and other necessary staff.

In the fall of 1992, the Department of Education created the Scenic Valley School Division. Wolseley School Division No. 25 became part of Scenic Valley School Division No. 117 effective January 1, 1993.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 179