Affichage de 7276 résultatsNotice d'autorité
- PA 435
Roy Theodore Graham was born on December 11, 1887 at Smiths Falls, Ontario to William J. and Jessie (McKenny) Graham. He enlisted in the Canadian Army in 1915 and served with the 10th Canadian Battalion in France during the First World War. Graham received his legal education at Osgoode Hall, Toronto.
Graham read law with Daniel Buckles, K.C. and was called to the Saskatchewan Bar in 1922. He practiced law in Swift Current and served as a Crown prosecutor for the Swift Current area (1926-1929; 1934-1940). Graham was appointed King's Counsel in Saskatchewan on December 31, 1932.
Graham's political career began in 1921, when he ran unsuccessfully as a Government candidate for the Swift Current constituency in the Saskatchewan general election. Graham was elected to the House of Commons as the Liberal Member of Parliament for Swift Current in 1940 and served until his defeat in 1945.
Graham served as Assistant Clerk of the House of Commons from August, 1945 to 1948, when he was appointed as a judge of the Saskatchewan Court of King's Bench. Graham took an immediate leave from his judicial position to serve as chairman of the Canadian Income Tax Appeal Board. He returned to Regina in 1951 and began his tenure as a judge. In 1957 and 1958, Graham chaired the Saskatchewan Royal Commission on Certain Mineral Transactions. After his retirement from the Court of Queen's Bench in 1960, Graham continued to reside in Regina until his death on February 26, 1965.
Graham married Gertrude Amy Matthews on August 6, 1924. The Grahams had two daughters, a step-son and eight grandchildren.
- PA 235
David G. Mandelbaum was born in Chicago, Illinois in 1911 to Sam and Lena (Goodman) Mandelbaum. He attended Northwestern University where, in 1932, he was awarded the first Bachelor of Arts in anthropology in the University's history. Mandelbaum took his doctorate at Yale University in 1936. His dissertation was the result of extensive field work in Saskatchewan in 1934 and 1935. This dissertation, "The Plains Cree, An Anthropologic, Historical and Comprehensive Study" was published in 1936 and has remained a standard resouce on the subject.
Mandelbaum was particularly well known for his anthropological studies of India and its people, especially the Kola and the Cochin Jews. In 1946 he joined the University of California, Berkeley Department of Anthropology where his extensive south and southwestern Asian experience helped to broaden the department's perspective. Mandelbaum taught at Berkeley until his retirement in 1978 and remained an active professor emeritus until his death in 1987. At the time of his death on April 19, 1987, Mandelbaum was survived by his wife, Ruth, son Michael, and daughter, Susan (Tohbe).
- LGA 43
- Local Government
The Village of Truax, Saskatchewan was an urban municipality incorporated on September 9, 1912. The town was originally to have been named Schuett after Joseph Schuett, one of the first homesteaders in the district, but was named Truax, after Reuben Truax of Ontario, a close friend of Martin Schuett Sr. The Village of Truax was located on the Canadian National Railway line between Moose Jaw and Radville.
The village was governed by an elected council that could hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council included enforcing bylaws; waste management; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices, and collecting taxes and other fees.
The Village of Truax was governed originally by an overseer, councilors, and a secretary-treasurer. Later, the governance structure of Saskatchewan villages changed to include a mayor (formerly the overseer), councilors and a secretary-treasurer. In Truax, the first overseer was F.A. Bennett, and the first secretary-treasurer was Joseph Duck. In February 1923, a fire consumed the Municipal Office building in Truax, destroying many of the records for the village.
On December 31, 1970, the Village of Truax reverted to a hamlet and sometime before 2002 the hamlet was dissolved. The residents of the community came under the jurisdiction of Elmsthorpe Rural Municipality No. 100.
- PA 252
Alexander C. Cameron was born on June 30, 1907 in Avonhurst, Saskatchewan to Angus and Mary Cameron. He received his early schooling in Avonhurst and went on to attend Campion College in Regina, and the Normal School at the University of Saskatchewan where he received a teaching certificate. He taught in several southwest Saskatchewan communities, including Morse and Fox Valley, and then taught (1934 to December 1937) and became principal (1935 to December 1937) of Oasis-Richmound school in Richmound. He left teaching in 1941 to work with his brother-in law John (Jack) Stodalke in the operations of J. & M. Garage.
Cameron entered politics in 1947 as mayor of Richmound (1947 to 1963). He was first elected to the Saskatchewan Legislature in the 1948 general election as Liberal member for the Maple Creek constituency, defeating incumbent Beatrice Janet Trew (Cooperative Commonwealth Federation). He continued to sit as a member of the Legislative Assembly until he was defeated in the 1971 General Election by Eugene Frederick Flasch (New Democratic Party).
Cameron ran for the leadership of the Saskatchewan Liberal Party in 1959, but was defeated by Ross Thatcher on the first ballot. While in opposition Cameron acted as Finance critic. He served in the Ross Thatcher Government as Minister of Mineral Resources (1964-1971); and Minister of Telephones (1965-1970). He would later become president of the Liberal Party of Saskatchewan.
Cameron also served as Overseer of the Village-Trustee Larger School Union; organizing member of the Saskatchewan Teachers Federation; manager of the Richmound Credit Union; and member of the Knights of Columbus. He was an active proponent of the Swift Current health region.
On February 17, 1935 Cameron married Miriam Stodalka. They had four children: Marie, Roselain, Stuart and Grant. Cameron died in Regina on January 16, 1996.
- PA 433
Douglas McLaren Ewart was born in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan in August 1917 to McLaren and Susie (Auglin) Ewart. He had three siblings: Jack, Jim and Eric. Ewart attended primary and secondary school in Moose Jaw before attending Queen's University School of Medicine, graduating with a degree in Anesthesiology in 1941. He established a practice in Moose Jaw in 1946, expanding to Regina in 1973. Ewart retired from medicine in 1990. Douglas and his wife, Louise, had three children: Patty, Doug and Judith. Ewart died in Moose Jaw on August 18, 2004 at the age of 87 years.
- GA 130
- Secondary Agency
Established in 1979, the Community and Personal Services Division of the Department of Social Services provided services and programs to strengthen and support individual and family life in Saskatchewan. The division was organized into three branches: Core Services Branch; Home Care and Senior Citizens Branch; and Family and Community Services Branch.
The Core Services Branch was responsible for providing services to mentally challenged persons and for supporting the non-governmental organizations that offered complementary services. Community residential programs such as approved homes, group homes, training homes and semi-independent living settings offered care with an aim of clients functioning as independently as possible. The Community Resource Home and Outreach Program provided respite services to clients' families. The Valley View Centre in Moose Jaw and the North Park Centre in Prince Albert provided residential facilities for long-term care and programming. As well, the branch was responsible for the administration of activity centres and sheltered workshops throughout the province.
The Home Care and Senior Citizens Branch was organized into two sections: Senior Citizens and Home Care. The Senior Citizens Section was responsible for the planning and development of special-care homes, for the provision of subsidies to all residents of special-care homes, and for the licensing of low-income housing units for seniors. The section also established a Regulations Review Committee to review regulations pursuant to The Housing and Special-care Homes Act. The Home Care Section was responsible for the organization of district home care boards that provided home care service. Services delivered by the boards included nursing, homemaking, meals, home maintenance, and physical and occupational therapy. The section also coordinated with non-governmental agencies and senior care centres to provide services and to promote independence in seniors.
The Family and Community Services Branch was organized into three sections: Family and Youth Services Section; Day Care Section; and Community Services Section. The Family and Youth Services Section operated under the authority of The Family Services Act, The Unified Family Court Act, The Children of Unmarried Parents Act, and the federal Juvenile Delinquents Act. The section provided protection for children from families struggling to care for them in the form of counselling and foster care. Adoption services were provided through ward agreements and through the REACH (Resources for the Adoption of Children) program. Four child care facilities (Saskatchewan Boys' Centre, Roy Wilson Centre, Dales House, Kilburn Hall) along with several non-governmental agencies provided care for troubled youth. As well, the section provided juvenile offender services. The Day Care Section administered grants and monitored the standards of a variety of day care services throughout the province. The section encouraged involvement of parents in decision-making on the provision of services, and promoted public awareness about day care services. The Community Services Section administered grants and monitored the standards, financial operations and licenses of non-governmental social services organizations.
As a result of re-organization in 1980, child and youth services became the responsibility of the department's Regional Services Division, and seniors and home care services became the responsibility of the Continuing Care Division. All core services, day care and community services remained the responsibility of the Community and Personal Services Division.
- LGA 46
- Local Government
Outlook School Unit No. 32 of Saskatchewan was established on August 27, 1945 pursuant to The Larger School Units Act (SS 1944, c.41). The Unit originally consisted of 106 rural and village public school districts, which were arranged in five subunits. On September 22, 1945, the Board of the Unit assumed office and took over the assets and liabilities of the school districts under its control. The Board was elected and consisted of five members (one for each of the subunits) who served two year terms. The Unit office was located in the town of Outlook, which is located approximately 90 kilometres southwest of Saskatoon.
The Board of the Outlook School Unit No. 32 was responsible for administering and managing each school district in the unit and for generally supervising and controlling each school. The Board provided buildings, equipment and supplies; hired qualified teachers; paid teachers their monthly salaries; and dealt with attendance, transportation and disciplinary issues. The Board was assisted by a secretary-treasurer, who managed the finances and kept minutes of Board meetings. The Superintendent of Schools for the Unit, appointed by the Minister of Education, was responsible for the general supervision of the schools and conferred with teachers and the Board on various issues.
In 1978, the Larger School Units Act was replaced by the Education Act (SS 1978). Outlook School Unit No. 32 became Outlook School Division No. 32 effective January 1, 1979.
- GA 74
- Primary Agency
- 1918-1932; 1936-1958
Judicial districts were geographical areas in Saskatchewan over which the courts held legal jurisdiction. Judicial boundaries pre- determined the centre where cases had to be heard. Criminal matters were usually heard in the judicial district where the crime occurred while civil matters were heard where the plaintiff or defendant resided or where the property in dispute was located.
In 1918, the boundaries of the judicial districts of Weyburn, Swift Current and Moose Jaw were altered, resulting in the establishment of the Judicial District of Gravelbourg on May 1, 1918 by order of the Lieutenant Governor in Council. The boundaries of the district were altered during its existence.
The Judicial District of Gravelbourg was located in the south-central part of the province, 125 kilometres from the city of Moose Jaw. The centre of the district was located in the town of Gravelbourg. The courthouse, constructed around 1926, was located at 209 Main Street.
Towns and villages located in the judicial district at some point during its existence were Aneroid; Coderre; Glentworth; Gravelbourg; Hazenmore; Hodgeville; Kincaid; Lafleche; Limerick; Malaval; Mankota; Mazenod; Meyronne; Ponteix; Shamrock; and Val Marie.
Courts holding jurisdiction in the district included the Court of King's Bench; the Court of Queen's Bench; the District Court; and the Surrogate Court. Both criminal and civil cases were heard in the judicial district. Criminal offences included arson; robbery; theft; murder; manslaughter; treason; kidnapping; assault; sexual assault; blackmail; extortion and perjury. Civil matters included divorce; contract disputes; foreclosures; the administration of estates of the deceased and probate of wills; small claims (debt) matters and property disputes.
A resident judge presided at the various court sittings. Court officials included a local registrar for the Court of King's Bench/Queen's Bench; a Clerk and Deputy Clerk of the District Court; a Clerk and Deputy Clerk of the Surrogate Court; a sheriff and deputy sheriff; court reporters and process issuers (servers). Local registrars processed court documents; received documents for filing; kept accounting records and acted as clerks of the court at all courtroom and chamber sessions. Sheriffs executed court orders; served legal documents and enforced statute orders.
The Judicial District of Gravelbourg was disestablished on June 1, 1932. All records were ordered to be transferred to the Judicial District of Assiniboia. The district was re-established on January 15, 1936.
In 1958, all existing judicial districts were abolished and the province of Saskatchewan became one judicial district with twenty-one judicial centres. The Judicial District of Gravelbourg became the Judicial Centre of Gravelbourg.