Showing 4 results

Authority record
Photography studio

S. J. Hayward (Firm)

  • Corporate body
  • 1919-1984

Incorporated in 1919 with owner Sidney Jack Hayward and headquarters on Saint-Jacques Street in Montreal, Quebec, the studio specialised in industrial and commercial photography in Montreal. The firm served as the official photographer for a number of organizations and businesses throughout the 1920s to the 1940s, for example Canadian Steamship Lines, Ross & MacDonald (Firm), H.L. [Harold L.] Fetherstonhaugh (Firm), Philip J. Turner (Firm), Darling & Pearson (Firm), A.T. [Alexander Tilloch] Galt Durnford (Firm), [Ernest Isbell] Barott & Blackader (Firm), Ernest Cormier (Firm), Steinberg's Ltd, and Canadian Vickers Ltd. After the death of Hayward, the company was sold to Norman Zuker and Joseph Karpowicz. In 1945, the firm was re-incorporated as Hayward Studios and operations were re-located to Dorchester Street. In 1954, the company came to be under the sole ownership of Norman Zucker. The studio ceased operations in 1984.