Affichage de 2 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Engineer

Zimmerman, Arthur Martin, 1886-1979

  • PA 201
  • Individual
  • 1886-1979

Arthur Martin Zimmerman was born on September 11, 1886 in Ontario. He lived in the Acton district in Ontario for several years before joining a harvesters' excursion and moving west. Zimmerman worked for deep-well digging outfits for several years then purchased a quarter section of farm land near Disley, Saskatchewan in 1911. Crop failures forced him to give up his farm, and in 1916 he accepted a position as an engineer with T. A. Burrows Lumber Company at Grandview, Manitoba. The following year he returned to Saskatchewan to operate the steam engines at the Lumsden flour mills.

After the First World War, Zimmerman moved to Foxwarren, Manitoba and then to Neepawa, where he worked as a shop mechanic in Pedlar's Garage. In 1930 he set up his own business, Art's Garage. The property was later purchased by the North Star Oil Company. Zimmerman accepted a position at the Neepawa Airport in Neepawa, Manitoba, working on airplane engines until the airport's closure in 1950.

Zimmerman died on December 22, 1979.

Zimmerman married Margaret Jane Sayers in 1908. They had four children; Charlie, Arthur, Margaret, and Nell.

Black, Henry Kenneth, 1912-1993

  • Personne
  • 1912-1993

Henry Kenneth (Ken) Black was born on May 19, 1912 as the first child to Henry Black (1875-1960) and Jennie Lenore Barker (1882-1950). Beginning in 1931, Black began to study architecture at the University of Toronto, where he would also played basketball and tennis. In 1934, he returned to Regina for a summer position with the architectural firm of Storey and Van Egmond. Upon his graduation from university (with a B.Arch. with Engineering option) in 1935 he moved to Swift Current where he worked as a construction engineer for the Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration (PFRA). Black returned to Toronto in 1937 and took a position with the firm Chapman and Oxley, and later in 1939 formed a partnership with John B. Parkin. Returning to Regina in 1941, Black enlisted in the armed forces where he served as a Base Planning Officer in Ottawa. In January 1946, he once again returned to Regina and established his own firm under the name H. K. Black Architect and Engineer, specializing in schools and hospitals. In 1957 Black formed a partnership with Harry Larson (1923-1969),and Ken McMillan (1927-2009), the firm would last until Black's retirement in 1975 at which time it became known as BLM Architects Ltd.

In addition to his architectural design activities, Black served as president of the Regina Chamber of Commerce, and on the boards of the United Appeal, Saskatchewan Roughriders, and the Regina YMCA.

Black married Rhoda Jones (1913-1986) on September 17, 1946 and together they had three children: Walter, Kenneth, and Donald. Black passed away on July 4, 1993.