Showing 109 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving
Primary Agency

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Continuing Education

  • GA 50
  • Primary Agency
  • 1972-1983

While The Department of Continuing Education Act was assented to on April 21, 1972, the first departmental annual report states that the department was created following the partial proclamation of the Act on July 1, 1972. The post-secondary and vocational training functions of the Department of Education were spun off as a separate department creating Continuing Education.

Gordon S. MacMurchy had been serving as Minister of Education prior to the split. The enabling legislation states that the Minister of Education would also serve as minister of the new department. Accordingly, MacMurchy continued to serve as both Minister of Education and minister of the new Department of Continuing Education to which he was officially appointed on April 21, 1972. He represented both departments until November 5, 1975. Ed Tchorzewski took over as minister of both departments at that time but a year later the portfolio for the Department of Continuing Education was given to Donald Faris.

The three major branches of the newly formed department were:
Colleges Branch which was responsible for community college and adult education development. This included operational coordination for the Saskatchewan Technical Institute (STI) in Moose Jaw and the Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Arts & Sciences (SIAAS) campuses in Regina and Saskatoon through the Saskatchewan Council of Institute Principals (SCIP). The principals reported directly to the Deputy Minister (DM) for most other purposes. These institutions later became the core of the Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology (SIAST). The department was responsible for providing a number of training programs such as the Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Persons (VRDP) program, a Federal-Provincial initiative that was administered jointly by several provincial government bodies.

Research and Evaluation Branch which was responsible for the investigation of program needs, program analysis, systems analysis and development requirements for operational and program planning considerations.

Administrative Services Branch which was responsible for the personnel, accounting and budgeting of the department and also provided services to the Department of Education under joint arrangement. The Student Assistance Section was also part of this branch.

The department was also responsible for administering the University Act which in 1972 meant the University of Saskatchewan. The Deputy Minister served on the Board of Governors, Senate and various planning and operations committees. The University of Regina gained independent status in 1974.

In the 1973-1974 fiscal year, the SCIP became the Saskatchewan Committee of Institute Principals.

In 1974-1975, Student Assistance moved to the Research and Evaluation Branch.

A more wide ranging re-organization took place in 1975-1976. Operations Division was created, encompassing the technical institutes, community colleges and vocational centres, as well as the Program Development Branch. An Occupational Training Division took responsibility for Canada Manpower training programs, non-registered Indian and Métis programs, the VRDP Program and registration of private trade schools. A separate branch of Student Services was created. Administrative Services and Research & Planning Branches continued to report directly to the DM. The universities reported through the Universities Commission.

Assistant Deputy Ministers appear on the 1976-1977 organizational charts, responsible for the two new divisions although the positions were likely created along with the divisions during the previous fiscal year.

In 1977-1978, Research and Planning Branch became Policy Planning and Management Information Systems Branch.

In the 1980-1981 fiscal year another major restructuring took place. The new organizational structure consisted of the following, all reporting through a single ADM to the DM: Office of Native Career Development; Policy and Program Division; Institutional Division; Administrative and Financial Services Division; Occupational Training Division; Student Services Branch.

A special project, the Prince Albert Institute Project team also reported to the Deputy Minister.

Gordon Gray Currie became the final minister of the department on May 8, 1982.

The Department of Advanced Education and Manpower Act was assented to on April 29, 1983, transforming the Department of Continuing Education into the Department of Advanced Education and Manpower.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Advanced Education and Manpower

  • GA 11
  • Primary Agency
  • 1983-1987

The legislation creating the Department of Advanced Education and Manpower was assented to on April 29, 1983. The new department integrated functions previously delivered by the Departments of Continuing Education, Labour, Industry and Commerce, and Culture and Youth. On May 5, 1983, the Department of Continuing Education was absorbed into the new department.

The new department's responsibilities included the coordination of federal-provincial cost-shared occupational training programs, such as Adult Basic Education and Vocational Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons; the registration of private vocational schools in the province; the administration of federal and provincial loan, scholarship and bursary programs; and the administration of grant payments to universities, community colleges, and other post-secondary institutions and agencies.

The department was also responsible for programs and services related to job placement, labour market research, vocational guidance, employment counselling and the apprenticeship and trade certification programs.

Many of the department's programs and services were aimed at increasing the employability of individuals and groups underrepresented in the labour market, such as women, youth, aboriginals, people with mental and physical handicaps, and residents of Northern Saskatchewan.

The department was presided over by a Minister and Deputy Minister and was originally organized into four divisions: Advanced Education; Manpower; Planning and Evaluation and Administrative and Financial Services. There was also a University Affairs Branch and Communications Branch.

The Advanced Education Division originally had four branches: Program Development and Standards; Occupational Training; Community Colleges and Northern. The division was also responsible for the Saskatchewan Skills Extension Program, technical institutes, and vocational centres. In August, 1984 the Institute Operations Branch was established to support and co-ordinate the delivery of technical/vocational training in the province. During the 1985-1986 year, the division assumed the responsibilities of the Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Branch and the Northern Branch became an independent division with responsibility for occupational training, financial services, program development, and funding for three northern community colleges.

The Manpower Division originally consisted of six branches: Labour Market Planning and Information; Apprenticeship and Trade Certification; Career Services; Native Services; Youth Services and Women's Services. During the 1983-1984 year, Career Services was transferred to the Community Colleges Branch. In 1984-1985, Labour Market Planning and Information moved to the Planning and Evaluation Division. The Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Branch moved to the Advanced Education Division in 1985-1986. The Manpower Division was transferred out of the department and to the Employment Development Agency in December, 1985 while the Women's Services Branch became part of the Women's Secretariat in April, 1986.

The Planning and Evaluation Division originally consisted of three branches; Policy, Planning and Evaluation; Management Information Systems and Human Resources. The Division was responsible for strategic planning, policy formulation, program evaluation, budgeting, management information systems and human resource development. During 1984-1985, the Management Information Systems Branch became the Information Resources Management Services Branch and the Labour Market Planning and Information Branch was created. The Human Resources Branch became an independent division through an amalgamation of personnel services for the Departments of Advanced Education and Manpower, Education and the Saskatchewan Library.

The Administrative and Financial Services Division originally included the following branches: Administrative Services; Financial Planning and Student Financial Services. The branches were responsible for departmental budget preparation, office services, and administering grant payments and financial assistance programs.

The University Affairs Branch assumed the responsibilities of the Saskatchewan Universities Commission in August, 1983. The branch was responsible for the financing and overall development of the University of Regina, the University of Saskatchewan and all federated and affiliated colleges.

The Communications Branch promoted departmental activities and informed the general public, news media, and other organizations and individuals of the department's programs and policies through news releases, annual reports, speeches, audio/visual materials and paid advertising.

Significant movement of programs within branches occurred during the department's existence.

On April 1, 1987, the Department of Advanced Education and Manpower was combined with the Department of Education and the Saskatchewan Library to form one department with responsibility for K-12 education, all post secondary education and training through the universities, technical institutes and community colleges and coordination of all libraries in the province.

Saskatchewan. Government Finance Office

  • GA 9
  • Primary Agency
  • 1947-1978

When the CCF government of T.C. Douglas was elected in July of 1944 there was a dramatic shift in the province's public policy. The creation of the Government Finance Office to oversee Crown Corporations was intended to expand and diversify the provincial economy with the greatest benefit given to the Saskatchewan taxpayer.

Under part two of the Crown Corporations Act of 1947 the government of the day created the Government Finance Office as the holding company for existing crown corporations. The first corporations to fall under the authority of the Government Finance Office had been created by order-in-council in 1945 as independent entities; however, under the amended Crown Corporations Act of 1947, the corporations were governed by part 2 of the Act. The crowns included the Saskatchewan Reconstruction Corporation, Saskatchewan Minerals, Saskatchewan Government Printing Company, Saskatchewan Reconstruction Housing Corporation, Saskatchewan Fur Marketing Service, Saskatchewan Transportation Company, Saskatchewan Lake and Forest Products Corporation, Saskatchewan Industries and Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office.

The Government Finance Office assumed all liabilities and assets by crowns to be used for public enterprises. The Lieutenant Governor had the authority to appoint at least three members of the Office. Those first members were appointed in April 1947, C.M Fines, Provincial Treasurer, J.H. Brocklebank, Minister of Municipal Affairs, O.W. Valleau, Provincial Secretary, as well as T. Lax, Deputy Provincial Treasurer and G.W. Cadbury, Chief Industrial Executive.

In May of 1964 the Liberals, led by W. Ross Thatcher, were elected. The Government Finance Office, while still responsible for arranging capital financing and administrative services for the Crowns, began to privatise certain ventures. This included part of Saskatchewan Minerals, the Saskatchewan Clay Products Division (as of 1966 Estevan Brick Limited) as well as withdrawing from the Industrial Development Fund, created under part 3 of the Crown Corporations Act, with an amendment to the Act in 1966.

June 1971 saw another shift in government with the election of The NDP and Allan E. Blakeney as premier. The Government Finance Office expanded the number of crown corporations within its mandate, including Saskatchewan Computer Utility (SaskComp) and the Saskatchewan Water Supply Board (SWSB). The reinvigorated Office continued to act as the intermediary between government and the crowns to ensure that the fiscal requirements of the crowns were consistent with prudent financial planning.

By 1977 the Office offered co-ordinated management services to all crowns of the government whether service or resource based. These included Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Mining Development Corporation, Saskatchewan Minerals, Saskatchewan Forest Products and Saskatchewan Oil and Gas Corporation. Within the financial and services area the Office offered administrative services to Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office, Saskatchewan Economic Development Corporation, Saskatchewan Development Fund Corporation, the Municipal Financing Corporation of Saskatchewan, Agricultural Development Corporation of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Transportation Company, Saskatchewan Government Printing Company and Saskatchewan Fur Marketing Service. The GFO also had a broader role in the management of the major public utilities Saskatchewan Power Corporation (SPC) and Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel).

With an eye to the future the government reorganised the Government Finance Office, so as to better serve the publicly owned corporations, in 1978 and renamed the office the Crown Investments Corporation of Saskatchewan (CIC).

Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission

  • GA 1
  • Primary Agency
  • 1972-

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission was established in 1972, and five people were appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor-in-Council to serve five-year terms as Commissioners. The head office, located in Saskatoon, was opened in early 1973. Branch offices were opened in Regina in June of 1974, and in Prince Albert in October of 1974.

The Commission's mandate initially stated it was to administer equality and anti-discrimination legislation in Saskatchewan in the areas of housing, employment, employment applications and advertisements, public accommodation and education on the grounds of race, creed, religion, colour, sex, nationality or place of origin. In addition, the Commission also championed anti-discrimination education and awareness campaigns.

The Commission was charged with the responsibility for investigating complaints. Complaints were separated into formal and informal. A commission officer investigated alleged complaints of discrimination by interviewing witnesses and examining documentation. However, if a resolution was not reached at this informal stage, the Commission would then hold a formal inquiry into the complaint. If the complaint was proven, the defendant could be ordered to pay restitution to the complainant. Appeals to commission orders could be filed in the Court of Queen's Bench.

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Code was enacted as legislation effective 7 August 1979. Part One of the Code enshrined the fundamental rights of citizens in Saskatchewan protecting "the right to freedom of conscience, religion, expression, and association, the right to vote in provincial elections and the right to freedom from arbitrary arrest or detention". Part Two prohibits "discriminatory policies and practices in employment, education, public services, housing, contracts, publications, professional association and trade unions". The Act made it illegal to discriminate in any of the outlined areas, expanding on the 1972 definitions, on the basis of "age, ancestry, race or colour, family status, marital status, nationality or place of origin, physical or mental disability, receipt of public assistance, religion or creed, sex (covers sexual harassment and pregnancy discrimination) and sexual orientation". The Commission was further empowered to approve and encourage equity programs. In addition, the education and awareness programs were strengthened in the Code to further the principles of equality and diversity.

Due to budget constraints the Prince Albert office was closed in 1986. However, the 2000 annual report indicated that the Chief Commissioner was concerned that northern residents were not being adequately represented and met with community leaders, along with the Provincial Ombudsman and the Children's Advocate, to understand what the residents of the north need in terms of support from the Commission.

In May 2000 a bill was introduced to amend the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code. The amendments were the result of a survey conducted in 1996 entitled Renewing the Vision - Human Rights in Saskatchewan. The intention was to streamline the complaint process and change some of the terms of discrimination and create a human rights tribunal panel to enforce the provisions of the code.

The Commission continues to be busy at both the Saskatoon and Regina offices. As definitions of rights and freedoms continue to evolve, the Commission has a vital role in the lives of the citizens of Saskatchewan.

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission reports to the Minister of Justice.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Social Services

  • GA 125
  • Primary Agency
  • 1972-2003

The Department of Social Services was established in 1972 and repealed the former Department of Welfare Act. It provided for the department, its staff, departmental organization, powers and duties and other miscellaneous provisions necessary for the proper conduct of the business of the department, including the constitution of the Welfare Board. Administrative offices for the department were centralized in Regina and accommodated the Minister, Deputy Minister and directors of the departmental divisions.

At its establishment, the department was organized into four divisions: Regional Services; Community Grants and Standards; Programs; and Corrections, and two branches: Administration; and Personnel and Training. Programs and services were delivered through a decentralized network of eleven regional offices.

In late-1972, the Core Services Administration was established as an interdepartmental agency comprised of the Ministers and Deputy Ministers of the Departments of Health, Education and Social Services and an executive director. The role of the agency was to administer programs for mentally and physically handicapped citizens that were previously administered by the three departments.

By 1980, the department was organized into six divisions: Operations; Regional Services; Corrections; Continuing Care; Income Support; and Community and Personal Services. Programs and services were delivered through a regional office system as well as through non-governmental organizations.

In 1990, the department was organized into seven divisions: Policy and Intergovernmental Relations; Human Resources; Community Living; Young Offenders; Family Services; Income Security; and Support Services. Programs and services were delivered through a regional office system of six regions, through various Saskatchewan Employment Centres and in partnership with non-governmental organizations.

By 2000, the department was organized into three core divisions: Family and Youth; Community Living; and Income Security. Support services for the department were delivered through three divisions: Organizational Development; Technology and Property Management Services; and Financial Management Services, through four branches: Communication and Public Education; Research and Evaluation; Strategic Policy; and Intergovernmental Relations, and through the Community Development Unit. Programs and services continued to be delivered through a regional office system of six regions and in partnership with non-governmental organizations. As well, the department oversaw the Office of Disability Issues.

The Department of Social Services was discontinued on March 31, 2003 with the establishment of the Department of Community Resources and Employment.

Throughout its history, the department focused on four key functions in the delivery of its programs and services: social assistance; child and family services; correctional services; and community services. Social assistance was administered through the Saskatchewan Assistance Plan and other assistance programs to citizens with financial need or disability. In addition to income support, the Saskatchewan Assistance Plan offered welfare services such as counselling, rehabilitation and preventative services to clients in need.

Child care services offered included protection of children in troubled family situations, administration of juvenile offenders under the Juvenile Delinquents Act (later the Young Offenders Act), assistance to unmarried mothers; adoption; foster care; and institutional care for troubled youth. The administration of young offender case files was transferred to the Department of Corrections and Public Safety in 2002.

Correctional services aimed to protect society from those who committed crimes, but also to assist those who committed crimes though guidance, retraining or treatment programs. These programs included educational and vocational training, counselling and therapy, and probation, community residence and parole services. Correctional services were transferred to the Department of Justice in 1983.

Community services offered by the department included day care, recreational services for senior citizens, housing and continuing care for seniors, the disabled or chronically ill and children under institutional care, rehabilitation services and programs for disabled citizens and those with special needs, and emergency social services. In 1983, the administration of continuing care was transferred to the Department of Health.

Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office

  • GA 42
  • Primary Agency
  • 1944-1980

The first government-run insurance programs in Saskatchewan were public hail insurance programs created in 1901 and 1912; however these were limited to crop insurance.

Economic conditions in the 1930's and early 1940's had resulted in the failure of many small local insurers. Almost 80% of fire insurance premiums issued between 1934 and 1944 were underwritten by British or other non-Canadian firms. The twenty-two percent of companies that were Canadian were not in Saskatchewan but located primarily in Ontario and Quebec. During the same period, less than half of the premiums paid in by customers were returning in the form of claims paid out. Little of those premiums were remaining in the province either in the form of claims paid or as profit for local business.

In 1944, the only other general government insurance program in Canada was a dormant system in Alberta.

The Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office (SGIO) was established by The Government of Saskatchewan Insurance Act, assented to on November 10, 1944. In January 1945, Oakland W. Valleau, Minister of Social Welfare, was appointed Minister-in-Charge of SGIO.

There were three main reasons for its creation: to retain revenue from insurance premiums within the province; to create new revenue sources in order to provide additional social services to residents; to reduce insurance rates for Saskatchewan residents.

The Insurance Act allowed for the sale by SGIO of policies covering fire, life, automobile and twelve other forms of insurance. Although the act allowed for the sale of life insurance, it was not sold by SGIO.

The office was established in March 10, 1945 and Michael Francis Allure was chosen as the first general manager. He was provided with a staff of 3, a 10 x 12 foot room at the Legislature and a $12,000 loan to start.(1) Allure sold the first policy to Valleau on May 1, 1945. The General Manager served as the Chief Executive Officer of the company.

The company continued to operate out of the Legislative Building until early in 1946 when it moved into the old Canada Life Assurance building on Cornwall Street and 11th Avenue in Regina. It had grown from a staff of four to sixty employees at head office with more than 150 brokers across the province. The SGIO annual report for 1946-1947 states that finding and training sufficient staff was a major challenge due to this rapid expansion.

Although the head office was located in Regina, a policy of decentralization resulted in the opening of branch offices in Prince Albert and Saskatoon in 1946. By December 31, 1947, 110 people were employed at the Head and Branch offices. A branch in North Battleford opened in 1948 followed by branches in Yorkton, Estevan and Swift Current in 1949 and Moose Jaw in 1950. In the 1970's claims branches were also created in Lloydminster, Meadow Lake, Tisdale, Weyburn and Kindersley.

The first SGIO agency was opened in Maple Creek on May 17, 1945. It was started by Oscar Sawby whose only experience at the time consisted of operating a general store. Fifty years later, his family was still operating Blythman Agencies Ltd.

By the end of the first year of business, SGIO had paid back the $12,000 startup loan and showed a surplus of $6388 while providing insurance rates ten percent lower than the competition.

As World War II was coming to a close, the number of motorists and vehicles in Saskatchewan grew at a rapid rate but less than 10% had any form of insurance, leaving accident victims and their families without any form of compensation. This resulted in the creation of The Automobile Accident Insurance Act, 1946. By combining vehicle registration and insurance, the provincial government ensured that all drivers had basic coverage.

In 1949, the Saskatchewan government purchased a 75% share in a joint stock company in the hopes of expanding the business of the SGIO over a larger area to provide a more stable income. The Saskatchewan Guarantee and Fidelity Company Limited (SGFCL) applied to practice insurance in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia but was denied on the basis that a company owned by one provincial government should not do business in territory of another. Reinsurance agreements with companies in other countries allowed the SGFCL to reduce its financial risk. It was administered by SGIO but as a joint stock company its status as a Crown corporation is historically questionable.

By 1950 SGIO had 215 employees and 675 agents. By 1952, it held about 25% of the general insurance business in the province.

The change in government in resulting from the 1964 election posed a threat to the continuation of SGIO and other Crown corporations. Ross Thatcher expressed a philosophy of encouraging the industrial development of Saskatchewan by private enterprise. SGIO survived but some of its monopoly advantages were removed.

SGFCL was not so lucky. Seen as surviving on monopoly advantages and contracts from SGIO and losing money as well, it was put up for sale. On July 31, 1965, rather than being sold, it was absorbed by SGIO.

Throughout the late 1960's the Liberal government was accused by the opposition of planning to sell SGIO which it denied. In fact, a firm offer to buy the company was received in 1969 but was rejected by the government.

The 1970's marked a return to CCF (now NDP) government. SGIO was handling almost all of the insurance sales in Saskatchewan, partially due to lower pricing and because most of the competition had quit the field. It was a regular practice for insurance companies to have one rate for Alberta and Manitoba and a lower rate for Saskatchewan. Many decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

In 1979, SGIO was re-branded SGI - Saskatchewan Government Insurance but remained SGIO as a legal entity.

Various departments and divisions existed within the Office over its history(2) including as follows:

The Statistical Department existed in 1946. It continued to appear on a 1950 organizational chart but was apparently absorbed by the Accounting Department sometime between 1951 and 1953.

The Claims Department existed in 1946. By August 18, 1948 it had been divided into Claims - General; Claims - Accident; Claims - Collision.

The Accounting Department existed in 1946.

The Agency Department first appeared on October 18, 1946 and continued to show on an August 18, 1948 organizational chart.

The Fire Department existed in 1946. On September 1, 1947, the Fire Department was divided into two departments: Fire Department - Agency and Fire Department - Direct.

On December 1, 1947, the Inspection Department was established to inspect various types of risks and supply data to the Underwriting Department.

The Salvage Division was established in 1947 to provide a sales outlet for used automotive parts salvaged from vehicles which were damaged beyond repair in accidents. Salvage allowed SGIO to recover a portion of losses incurred in auto claims. The Divisional head office was originally located in North Battleford and opened on July 10, 1947. Additional depots were later established in Regina (1961), Saskatoon (1966), Yorkton (1969), and Moose Jaw (1971). The Divisional office was re-located to Saskatoon in September 1966.

The Reinsurance Department was set up in 1950. It was responsible for placement, negotiating and handling Fire and Inland Marine reinsurance as required.

The Personnel Department was formed in 1956.

A Promotion and Advertising Department was created in 1957.

The Multi-Peril Department was established in 1957 to provide all general insurance needs in one package. In 1961 the department was assimilated into various sections of the Fire Underwriting Department.

The Loss Prevention Department was established in 1973. It was previously part of the Property Department.

An Internal Audit department was created in 1976.

The Motor Vehicle Division was established on April 1, 1977, when the driver license and motor vehicle registration delivery system formerly administered by the Department of Finance was transferred to the SGIO.

The Customer Relations Department was established in 1977 to handle consumer complaints and inquiries. It seems to have taken over responsibilities and functions of Public Relations.

The Automobile Experimental Centre was set up in Regina in 1974 to monitor and conduct research into cost-effective automotive repair techniques, train SGIO auto adjusters, assist auto body shops with the application of new repair techniques, and supply data on repair costs and vehicle design.

The Saskatchewan Government Insurance Act, 1980 (C. S-19.1) assented to on April 29, 1980 officially dropped "Office" from the legal title of the company and creating SGI.

At that time, SGI's organizational structure consisted of: Minister in Charge / Chair of Board of Directors; Office of the General Manager / President; Administration Division (Policy services; Administration and Coordination; Administration services); Claims Division; Salvage Operations; Corporate Relations Division; Marketing Division; Systems Planning and Research; Systems Development Motor Vehicle Division; Finance; Legal; Motor Licensing Division; Special Accounts Department; Underwriting (Casualty; Commercial Property; Loss Prevention; Personal and Farm Property).

Footnotes:

1)One source lists the staff as four, but this may have included Allure.

2) Tracking the organizational structure of SGIO is difficult because annual reports consisted primarily of financial information and seldom documented these changes or contained organizational charts.

Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan Transportation Company

  • GA 58
  • Primary Agency
  • 1946-

The Saskatchewan Transportation Company (STC) was established as a Crown corporation of the province of Saskatchewan by the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) government in January, 1946.

STC began operation on April 1, 1946. W.T. Bunn was appointed general manager and a head office for the corporation was established in Regina. Depots were established in Regina, Saskatoon and Prince Albert and agents were contracted by STC to provide passenger and parcel services to rural areas. STC took over routes formerly operated by the Western Canadian Greyhound Lines Ltd. and several other smaller operators and added routes to serve communities previously without service. In 1947, the company introduced a freight route between the Northern Saskatchewan communities of Prince Albert and La Ronge to transport supplies to fishing, trapping and mining communities.

The Company began operation with seven secondhand gasoline fueled coaches on four routes but quickly expanded its fleet, routes, depot and repair facilities. In the early 1950's, the Company started offering charter and express services and switched to diesel fueled coaches. The 1960's and 1970's were periods of growth and prosperity for the Company. By the 1980's, however, poor economic conditions, high unemployment rates, low airline and railway fares, and the availability of private coaches forced STC to cut services and routes. In 1983, the tour business was dropped and STC closed its Prince Albert garage. The Company underwent extensive restructuring in the 1990's in an effort to reduce costs while maintaining its high level of customer service to the people of Saskatchewan.

As a Crown corporation, STC's operations are governed by a board of directors. The Minister of Highways and Transportation serves as chairman of the board and Minister Responsible.

Following its early years of operation, around 1954 STC established a function based organizational structure that essentially remained unchanged into the mid 1980's. The corporate structure underwent frequent restructuring from the mid 1980's to mid 1990's.

Responsibility for the overall administration and operation of the corporation was held by the general manager (1946-1983) and president (1983-1999).

Express and freight services, depots, dispatchers, drivers, and district managers in Regina, Saskatoon and Prince Albert were supervised by the operations manager (1954-1979); operations director (1979-1983); and vice-president, operations (1983-1990).

Maintenance, cleaning and storage of all company vehicles was the responsibility of the maintenance superintendent (c.1946-1967); fleet manager (1967-1979) and equipment director (1979-1983).

Responsibility for ticket sales, rates and schedules, promotion and advertising, public relations, charters and tours and contracted agents fell to the sales manager (1954-1979); marketing director (1979-1983); marketing manager (1983-1987) sales and traffic manager (1987-1992) and director of corporate services (1992-1993).

Administration and personnel was handled by the office manager (1954-1965); administration manager (1965-1979); and administration director (1979-1983). In 1983, this position was merged with the finance director position into the vice-president, finance and administration. In 1985, human resources became a separate function from other administrative areas and the position of human resources director was created.

Accounting, financial forecasting and budgeting, collection of revenues and payment of suppliers were the responsibilities of the accountant (c.1946-1967); chief accountant (1967-1979); finance director (1979-1983). In 1983, this position was merged with the administration director position into the vice-president, finance and administration.

The development director (c.1980-1982) appears to have been responsible for the acquisition, renovation, and expansion of STC's properties.

In 1995 the company changed its fiscal year end from October 31 to December 31 in keeping with other Crown corporations.

The current (2006) corporate structure includes the following:
President and Chief Executive Officer
Senior Director, Finance & Administration
Senior Director, Customer Services & Operations
Director, Information Technology
Director, Strategic Planning & Communications
Director, Human Resources & Labour Relations

The head office for STC is at 2041 Hamilton Street, Regina, Saskatchewan.

Saskatchewan. Board of Highway Commissioners

  • GA 70
  • Primary Agency
  • 1912-1917

The Board of Highway Commissioners was established in 1912 with the passing of the Public Highways Act (S.S. 1912, sec.5, s.s. 6). The Board was given the responsibility to lay out, plan and determine a system of public highways for the province. A.J. McPherson was appointed chair of the Board. The Board had jurisdiction over three branches: the Accountant's Branch, the Highways Branch and the Bridges Branch and had an operating budget of $1,600,000. Initially, money for construction and/or improvement of highways was extended to municipalities at a rate of not more than $5,000 per year for each municipality.

Prior to the formation of the Board of Highway Commissioners, when Saskatchewan became a province in 1905, highways fell under the jurisdiction of the newly formed Department of Public Works. A.J. McPherson was the first Superintendent of Highways and administered an annual budget of $90,617.49 distributed between two branches; the Constructive Branch and the Educative Branch. Local foremen were employed to perform road construction and maintenance. The following year, 1906, the Department prepared a manual of instruction to ensure uniform performance of duties throughout the province.

The Board of Commissioners was disbanded in 1917 when the Department of Highways was created.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Public Works

  • GA 64
  • Primary Agency
  • 1905-1972

The Department of Public Works was one of the original departments created upon the formation of the Executive Council of the North-West Territories in 1897. The department, with headquarters in Regina, was headed by a commissioner and deputy commissioner.

Upon the formation of the province of Saskatchewan in 1905, the provincial department's mandate included the inspection and regulation of coal mines and steam boilers; surveying; the construction and maintenance of bridges; the operation and maintenance of ferries; the construction of fireguards; the provision of a water supply; road improvements; the organization and administration of local improvement districts and the collection of arrears in taxes.

Also in 1905, the department purchased eleven existing buildings, including the jails (gaols) at Regina and Prince Albert from the Dominion Government. By 1906, responsibility for the administration of the jails and their inmates was shared between the department and the Department of the Attorney General. In 1915, Public Works assumed full responsibility. Wardens of the jails reported to the Deputy Minister of the department. A new jail building was constructed at Moosomin (1909) and jails were replaced at Regina (1914) and Prince Albert (1922). Between 1931 and 1941, female inmates were housed at the North Battleford Women's Gaol until the women's facility at Prince Albert was reopened. Responsibility for jails was transferred to the Department of Social Welfare in 1947.

Responsibility for the construction and maintenance of public buildings was added in 1906, and construction of new facilities, including court houses and the Legislative Building in Regina, began shortly thereafter.

In 1908, responsibility for local improvements was transferred to the newly established Department of Municipal Affairs. In 1909, the commissioner and deputy commissioner became known as minister and deputy minister. From 1910 to 1911, the department administered The Factories Act and mediated wage disputes. Around 1912, administration of The Factories Act and The Coal Mines Act was transferred to the Department of Agriculture.

Several significant departmental changes occurred around 1914. Responsibility for surveying, bridges, ferries, fireguards, water supply, and road improvements was transferred to the Board of Highway Commissioners. The department assumed responsibility for the administration of psychiatric hospitals, and detention facilities. The administration of the estates of persons, with no other guardian, detained in a mental hospital in Saskatchewan, was transferred from trust companies to the department. The department also became responsible for landscaping the grounds of public buildings.

In 1928, the administration of The Steam Boilers Act was transferred to the newly established Department of Railways, Labour and Industries. The function was returned to Public Works in September, 1934 and remained there until 1945, when it was transferred to the Department of Labour.

In the early 1930's, responsibility for the administration of the two psychiatric hospitals (North Battleford and Weyburn) and the Industrial School for Boys was transferred to the Departments of Public Health and Education respectively. Public Works retained responsibility for the maintenance of the psychiatric hospitals and also maintained the new School for the Deaf in Saskatoon after it opened in 1931. In 1936, the department stopped administering the estates of the mentally incompetent.

Around 1941, the department began purchasing and maintaining vehicles for use by government employees. Around 1943, the department began operating a plant to supply electricity and steam power to the Legislative Building. In the late 1940's, responsibility for the maintenance of psychiatric hospitals, schools for the deaf and boys schools was transferred to other departments. Public Works started to provide a government mail and messenger service in 1947 and began to operate a machine shop and government garage for servicing government vehicles around 1949.

By the early 1960's, the department's primary functions related to the provision of accommodation, transportation and mail services to government agencies. The department's operation and maintenance of government buildings included space planning, leasing, and management of construction projects. In 1966, the Central Vehicle Agency (CVA) was established to provide vehicles and aircraft for use by government departments and agencies. CVA also assumed responsibility for the province's air ambulance service.

On April 1, 1972, the Department of Public Works was reorganized into the Department of Government Services.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Highways and Transportation

  • GA 68
  • Primary Agency
  • 1934-2007

The Department of Highways and Transportation was created with the passing of the Highways and Transportation Act (S.S. 1934, c. 8) on September 1, 1934. The Department was responsible for control and management of all work pertaining to construction, improvement and maintenance of public highways in Saskatchewan. The Act added authority and responsibility for administration of the Saskatchewan Railway Act and the Railway Taxation Act. The operation of the Department was divided into nine branches: the Accountant's Branch; the Construction Branch; the Maintenance Branch; the Surveys, Drainage and Townsites Branch; the Ferry Branch; the Market Roads Branch; the Railway Branch and the Revenue Branch. The Department had an initial budget of $1,136,947 and was responsible for 7636 miles of provincial highway. During the mid-1930s, the province entered into an agreement with the Federal Government to carry out a program of highway improvement for the purpose of providing work and wages to the growing number of unemployed due to the Great Depression.

During the 1940s, major upgrades were made to the highway system in the province due to the increasing number of vehicles and to the increase in the maximum loads being carried on the roads. Major provincial highways were beginning to be paved. In 1949, the Trans-Canada Highway Act was passed. This federal act involved an agreement with the provinces and the Federal Government covering work to be done on a national highway. The Department's budget at the end of the decade was $8,889,000 and 8225 miles of provincial highways were under its control.

The Department expanded in both staff and equipment in the 1950s to deal with an unprecedented growth in the volume of traffic and the accompanying need to construct new roads and maintain the existing system. In 1951 the first collective bargaining agreement was executed between the Department and the Saskatchewan Civil Service Association. Two new branches, the Highway Design Branch and the Highway Material and Research Branch were added in 1953. The official opening of the Saskatchewan section of the Trans-Canada Highway occurred on August 21, 1957. The decade also saw the development of a grid road program for rural Saskatchewan. The Department's budget at the end of the 1950s was $25,000,000 and it was responsible for 8219 miles of highway.

A new branch, the Planning Branch, was added to the Department in the 1960s accompanied by increased investment in updated equipment and major construction projects in the north. A system of computer-designed roads was introduced in the mid-1960s. In 1965 the Department divided the province into five districts: Swift Current, Regina; Yorkton; Saskatoon; and Prince Albert. The Department's budget at the end of the 1950s was $42,782,430 and it was responsible for 10743 miles of highway.

Re-organization of the Department in 1972 consolidated the structure into three major divisions: Operations, Support Services, and Highway Engineering. In addition the Department provided assistance to improve airport facilities throughout the province. A rise in mining activity in the 1970s resulted in increased activity in northern road construction and major paving projects were implemented throughout the province. The North Battlefield District was added in 1976. By the end of the decade the Department's budget was $164,444,410 was responsible for 19,436 miles of highway.

A change in government in 1982 resulted in a new organizational structure of the Department consisting of: the Regulation and Traffic Safety Division; the Transportation, Planning and Research Division; the Engineering Division; the Communications Division; the Support Services Division; and the Communications Division (added in 1988). The Department also adopted a new mission statement: "To plan, implement and manage an integrated multi-modal transportation system which provides for the safe, efficient movement of people and goods at a level of service acceptable to the public for the economic and social development of the province within the mandate and resources provided by the Government of Saskatchewan". A program of privatization of construction and maintenance activities was implemented in the mid-1980s. The Department's budget at the end of the decade was $231,525,800.

Another reorganization occurred in 1991 due to a change in government. The existing six divisions were combined into two: Operations and Policy and Planning. The twenty-one underlying branches were reduced to twelve. A new mission statement, "Working together for excellence in transportation" was adopted. In 1993 , the Department of Rural Affairs was amalgamated into the Department. A $70,000,000 agreement with the Federal Government was signed in 1994 to improve six Saskatchewan highways: 1, 7, 11, 12, 16 and 39. By the end of the decade, the Department operated under a budget of $229,731,000 and was responsible for 26,000 km. of highway.

A new mission and vision statement was written for the Department in 2000 to "transform Saskatchewan's transportation systems to meet the social and economic opportunities of the 21st century". The Department was reorganized into the Operations Division, the Policy Division, the Communications Branch, the Human Resource Branch and the Corporate Services Branch. By 2002, the Department's operating budget was $292,000,000 and was responsible for 26,220 km. of highway. The Department of Highways and Transportation was succeeded by the Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure in 2007.

Resultaten 1 tot 10 van 109