- GA 74
- Primary Agency
- 1918-1932; 1936-1958
Judicial districts were geographical areas in Saskatchewan over which the courts held legal jurisdiction. Judicial boundaries pre- determined the centre where cases had to be heard. Criminal matters were usually heard in the judicial district where the crime occurred while civil matters were heard where the plaintiff or defendant resided or where the property in dispute was located.
In 1918, the boundaries of the judicial districts of Weyburn, Swift Current and Moose Jaw were altered, resulting in the establishment of the Judicial District of Gravelbourg on May 1, 1918 by order of the Lieutenant Governor in Council. The boundaries of the district were altered during its existence.
The Judicial District of Gravelbourg was located in the south-central part of the province, 125 kilometres from the city of Moose Jaw. The centre of the district was located in the town of Gravelbourg. The courthouse, constructed around 1926, was located at 209 Main Street.
Towns and villages located in the judicial district at some point during its existence were Aneroid; Coderre; Glentworth; Gravelbourg; Hazenmore; Hodgeville; Kincaid; Lafleche; Limerick; Malaval; Mankota; Mazenod; Meyronne; Ponteix; Shamrock; and Val Marie.
Courts holding jurisdiction in the district included the Court of King's Bench; the Court of Queen's Bench; the District Court; and the Surrogate Court. Both criminal and civil cases were heard in the judicial district. Criminal offences included arson; robbery; theft; murder; manslaughter; treason; kidnapping; assault; sexual assault; blackmail; extortion and perjury. Civil matters included divorce; contract disputes; foreclosures; the administration of estates of the deceased and probate of wills; small claims (debt) matters and property disputes.
A resident judge presided at the various court sittings. Court officials included a local registrar for the Court of King's Bench/Queen's Bench; a Clerk and Deputy Clerk of the District Court; a Clerk and Deputy Clerk of the Surrogate Court; a sheriff and deputy sheriff; court reporters and process issuers (servers). Local registrars processed court documents; received documents for filing; kept accounting records and acted as clerks of the court at all courtroom and chamber sessions. Sheriffs executed court orders; served legal documents and enforced statute orders.
The Judicial District of Gravelbourg was disestablished on June 1, 1932. All records were ordered to be transferred to the Judicial District of Assiniboia. The district was re-established on January 15, 1936.
In 1958, all existing judicial districts were abolished and the province of Saskatchewan became one judicial district with twenty-one judicial centres. The Judicial District of Gravelbourg became the Judicial Centre of Gravelbourg.