Showing 94 results

Authority record
Secondary Agency

Canada. Army. Battalion, 11th

  • Secondary Agency
  • 1914-1917

Authorized on August 10, 1914, the 11th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force recruited from places such as Prince Albert, Moose Jaw, Regina and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg, Manitoba. The battalion mobilized at Camp Valcartier, Quebec before embarking for Great Britain on September 30, 1914. The battalion was redesignated 11th Reserve Infantry Battalion on April 29, 1915. On January 4, 1917 its personnel was absorbed by the new 11th Reserve Battalion (Manitoba), Canadian Expeditionary Force, that subsequently disbanded on October 12, 1917.

Canada. Canadian National Railway Company. Department of Colonization and Agriculture

  • GA 124
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1919-1963

In 1919, the Canadian National Railway Company (CNR), a federal Crown corporation, established a Department of Colonization and Agriculture to promote immigration and land settlement in Canada. The company believed that attracting settlers to farm in Canada would increase its rail traffic in certain regions and help dispose of some of its land grants, thus increasing its overall earnings. The company encouraged immigrants to settle adjacent to its rail lines and to use the railway to transport livestock, seed, supplies and other goods and services. In 1925, the Canadian Government, who relied on the railways to promote immigration, established the Railways Agreement. Under this agreement, the company was granted authority to select, transport and locate immigrants for permanent settlement in Canada. In Saskatchewan, the districts of Prince Albert, Kelvington, Henribourg and St. Walburg were direct targets of the CNR's settlement and branch line expansion.

The department was overseen by a director in Montreal, Quebec. Departmental personnel were located in the United Kingdom, Poland, the Ukraine and Germany, countries from which the company was particularly interested in attracting immigrants. The head office of the department's operations in western Canada was located in Winnipeg, Manitoba with district offices located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and Edmonton, Alberta. The department's western Canadian field agents researched settlement possibilities, met immigrants, assisted them in getting located and finding employment on farms and offered advice and training on Canadian farming methods.

The department continued its settlement work until ceasing operations in 1963.

Canada. Dept. of the Interior. School Lands Branch

  • GA 167
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1879-1930

The School Lands Branch was established in 1879 to administer lands that were reserved for education purposes under the Dominion Lands Act, 1872. The Act stated that sections 11 and 29 of every surveyed township were designated as school lands. Any revenue generated from the sale of these lands was to finance school construction and the purchase of school supplies.

The rapidly increasing population of the western Canadian territories and the need for federal assistance to help build educational facilities necessitated special legislation by the Canadian government. This law also resulted in the creation of a separate School Lands Branch within the Department of the Interior to administer the terms of the act. The Branch was responsible for arranging public auctions for the sale of school lands, inspecting property, and setting the price for land. The lands could not be sold until a fair market value could be attained; in the interim, the land was often leased for grazing, timber, and/or haying purposes. Monies collected for these purposes were added to the territorial/provincial education endowment.

The School Lands Branch was placed under the direction of Frank Checkley from 1879 to 1918. Initially, the Branch reported to the Minister of the Department of the Interior through the Commissioner of Dominion Lands. In 1909, the Branch reported directly to the Minister. In 1918, the status of the Branch was downgraded to a Division, and it was placed back under the authority of the Dominion Lands Branch, and was renamed the Dominion Lands Bureau. The unit was disbanded in 1930 when the management of natural resources and dedicated Crown Lands in the western provinces was transferred to the provinces. In Saskatchewan, this authority transferred to the Department of Natural Resources, Lands Branch which operated from 1930 to 1944.

Canada. Lands Patent Branch

  • GA 5
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1881-1930

The Lands Patent Branch was originally established in 1881 to maintain the records produced in the land patenting process and to process land applications from institutions. It was originally administered from a central office in Ottawa, but an office was later opened in Winnipeg and local field staff assumed many of the lands patent duties. In 1883, the Lands Patent Branch took over the full functions of a land registry office in relation to federally-controlled western lands. Previously, many of these duties had been administered by the Office of the Registrar General of Canada, part of the Department of the Secretary of State of Canada. In 1928, the name of the agency was changed to Lands Patent Division. In 1930, the Lands Patent Division was dissolved when the provinces took over the responsibility for all unconveyed lands.

Canada. Office of the Registrar General of Canada

  • GA 3
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1868-1966

The Registrar General was established in 1868 under the Department of the Secretary of State of Canada, which was the precursor to the federal Department of the Interior. It kept the Great Seal of Canada, the Privy Seal of the Governor General, the Seal of the Administrator of Canada, and the Seal of the Registrar General of Canada, and registered all documents that might require the Great Seal or federal Crown registration. Until 1881 the Registrar General's duties included the maintenance of records produced in the land patenting process and the processing of land applications from institutions. This duty was then handed to the Department of the Interior's Lands Patent Branch. In 1883 all lands patent duties that fell under the auspices of the Dominion Lands Act (1872) were transferred from the Registrar General to the Lands Patent Branch. In 1966 the Registrar General became the Department of the Registrar General, a short-lived autonomous government department.

North-West Territories. Dept. of Agriculture. Deputy Commissioner's Office

  • GA 54
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1897-1905

On December 15, 1897, The Agriculture Department Ordinance (North-West Territories Ordinances, 1897, no. 18) received assent forming the Department of Agriculture.

On December 18, 1897, John Alexander Reid, Clerk of the Executive Council, was appointed Deputy Commissioner of Agriculture. James Hamilton Ross was Commissioner of Agriculture.

The government felt that work relating to the department could be handled by Reid in connection with his office as Clerk. In June 1898, six months later, the workload necessitated the temporary appointment of Charles Walter Peterson as a dedicated Deputy Commissioner and this position was confirmed on October 13, 1898. Peterson held the position until June 30, 1903. John Rothes Charles Honeyman took over as Deputy Commissioner on July 1, 1903 and held this post under the Territorial government until August 31, 1905 (provincial status for Saskatchewan and Alberta).

Following the creation of the provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta in 1905, responsibility devolved to the respective provincial jurisdictions. Honeyman continued to serve as Deputy Commissioner of Agriculture under the new Saskatchewan government until December 31, 1906.

Results 1 to 10 of 94