Showing 53 results

Authority record
Family

Albert William Bannister Family, 1861-

  • PA 109
  • Family
  • 1861-

Albert William Bannister was born on December 25, 1861 to Edwin and Caroline Bannister (neé Hill) in Hill Ridware, Mavesyn Ridware, Lichfield, Staffordshire, England. In 1879, he was indentured to Henry and George Brown to apprentice as a carpenter and builder. After completion of his apprenticeship, in 1883 he moved from Kings Bromley, Staffordshire, England to the North-West Territories. Bannister initially settled in Long Lake and then Pense, North-West Territories. During the 1885 Rebellion, Bannister drove a transport from Swift Current to Battleford via boat. By 1887, Bannister had visited England and moved to Regina, Saskatchewan to help construct Government House. Bannister also worked as caretaker at the Receiver-General's office from 1919 until his retirement in 1933.

On August 24, 1890, Bannister married Ellen Maria Evans in Regina, North-West Territories. Ellen Maria Evans was born February 9, 1866 to William and Emano Evans (neé Blackwall Cantrell) in Hulme Walfield, Cheshire, England. Prior to 1890, the family moved to the North-West Territories, Canada. Together, Albert William and Ellen Bannister had six children: Percy, (Walter) Harvey, Hettie Priscilla, (Albert) William, Nellie Marion, and Edwin. Albert William Bannister, Sr. died in 1947.

A. William Bannister, also known as William Bannister, Albert Bannister, and Bill Bannister, was born on March 21, 1898. He was educated at Victoria School and Central Collegiate in Regina. In 1917, Bannister joined the 77th Battery and went to England as a signaler. Following the war, Bannister played with the Regina Roughriders Rugby Club. He then worked as a salesman for Hudson's Bay Wholesale and McNull and Co. for 45 years. Bannister continued to reside in Regina as of 1981. Bannister married Jean Green of Medicine Hat, Alberta in May 1924. They had three children: Mildred Lockwood (married name), William Edwin Bannister, and Jean Matchett (married name).

Anderson Family, 1895-

  • PA 490
  • Family
  • 1895-

David Nathaniel (Andy) Anderson was born on September 4, 1895, in Traverse County, Minnesota, to Axel and Anna Anderson. He had nine brothers and one sister. Upon completion of the eighth grade, Anderson left home to live with a brother at White Rock, South Dakota. There he worked as a carpenter and for the local railway. In June 1917, he emigrated to Weyburn, Saskatchewan, and was hired as an accountant with the Weyburn Security Bank. He worked in branches of the Bank located in Midale and Halbrite.

Anderson returned to South Dakota in 1918 while ill from influenza. He received treatment there and at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and returned to Weyburn in January 1919. He was re-employed by the Weyburn Security Bank and took the position of accountant at its branch in Vantage. He met Ruth Woodworth while they were Sunday School teachers at the Methodist church in Vantage.

Ruth Woodworth was born on February 6, 1898, at Bear River, Nova Scotia, to Capt. John Edwin and Bertha Louise (Baxter) Woodworth. She had three brothers and nine sisters. Woodworth attended school in Bear River, including Oakdene High School, and completed her eleventh grade studies in July 1918. She also received her teachers' minimum professional qualification in July 1916. In August 1918, Woodworth moved to Regina to attend Normal School. She completed her studies in the spring of 1919, and was immediately hired to teach in a one-room school near Vantage for the Friendship Hill School District #3137. She taught there until December 1920.

Andy Anderson and Ruth Woodworth were married in Regina on January 6, 1921. They remained in Vantage until 1922 when they moved to Tribune as a result of Andy's transfer with the Bank. Ruth Anderson taught on a casual basis for the Salisbury School District #2746 between 1923 and 1924. On June 11, 1925, their son David John was born in Estevan. The family resided in Tribune until early 1928 when they moved to Assiniboia.

While in Assiniboia, Andy was employed as the accountant for the J.B. Smith Auto Clinic, the local General Motors dealership. As the Depression set in, he lost his job and subsequently operated a British American Oil bulk dealership, worked at a flour mill, and established a tannery - all of which closed due to lack of business. Anderson worked odd jobs and made an unsuccessful application for relief work. The lack of employment prompted Ruth and David to move to Bear River in July 1936, where David lived with Ruth's sisters and Ruth secured work as a housekeeper and later a floral arranger in Saint John, New Brunswick. Meanwhile, Andy moved to Regina in search of work and was hired to sell washing machines door-to-door. He was hired by the provincial Department of Agriculture in 1937. In November 1938, Ruth and David returned to Regina. Months after reuniting, the family purchased a home in Regina.

In 1940, Andy Anderson enlisted in the Canadian Army and was hired as a medical accountant with the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps at its recruiting depot in Regina. He served there until his discharge in 1945, attaining the rank of Staff Sergeant. He was awarded the British Empire Medal on May 22, 1948, in recognition of his exemplary service during the Second World War. After his service in the Army, he was employed by the Saskatchewan Department of Public Health until his retirement in 1958. Ruth Anderson was hired by DeLuxe Florists in Regina and worked there on a casual basis until the mid-1970s. The Andersons were also active in their church and belonged to various community organizations.

The family purchased a farm on the outskirts of Regina in 1947 where they lived and operated a greenhouse, growing bedding plants and vegetables for sale to merchants and residents in Regina. They sold a portion of their land to the Wascana Centre Authority in 1957 and the remainder, including their farmhouse, in 1965. They then purchased another home in Regina and enjoyed travelling throughout the United States and Canada in their retirement.

Ruth Anderson died in Regina on January 23, 1978. Andy Anderson remained in Regina until 1986 when he moved to Victoria, British Columbia, to live near his son. He died there on May 17, 1994.

David John (Dave) Anderson was born on June 11, 1925, in Estevan. He received his education in Assiniboia, Bear River and Regina where he graduated from Central Collegiate in 1943. He enlisted in the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve in 1944. He was posted to Gaspé, Quebec, and served until his discharge in 1945. Upon his return to Saskatchewan, he worked in Regina before attending the University of Saskatchewan for one year. He then helped operate his parents' greenhouse and produce farming business.

In 1951, David Anderson was hired by the Saskatchewan Power Corporation. He was employed there until 1976 when he accepted a position with the New Brunswick Power Corporation. Anderson returned to Regina in 1980 and was re-employed with Saskatchewan Power Corporation, retiring ca. 1983 as vice-president of public affairs. Upon his retirement, he moved to Victoria. He died in Victoria on August 10, 2010.

David John Anderson married Jean Isabelle Reid on September 22, 1951; they divorced in 1978. They had six children: David; Patricia; Mark; Guy; Nancy and Lisa. He married Betty Elizabeth (Tunnicliffe) MacIntyre on October 29, 1983.

David Reid Anderson was born on June 25, 1952, in Regina Saskatchewan, to David John and Jean Isabelle (Reid) Anderson. He attended school in Regina. David Anderson married Mary Haywood on June 30, 1978; they divorced in 1985. They had two children: Sarah and Simon. He married Donnie Parker on September 12, 1987. Anderson currently (2011) resides in Regina.

Archibald F. Clay Family, 1894-

  • PA 566
  • Family
  • 1894-

Archibald Franklin Clay was born on March 23, 1894 in Nottingham, England. He came to Canada in 1907 and worked on constructing the railway at Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. He enlisted in the 28th North-West Battalion and served in France during World War I. Clay married Rose Jeanne Souillart on April 17, 1919 in France. The Clays lived in Paris and northern France, where their two children, Pierre and Jacqueline, were born. In 1927, the Clay family came to Regina, Saskatchewan, where Archibald Clay was employed by the Canadian Bank of Commerce and the Imperial Bank of Commerce. He retired in 1963 and died in Regina on August 11, 1965.

Rose Jeanne Souillart Clay was born on December 16, 1896 in Bethune, France to Paul Alfred F.J. Souillart and Clotilde Souillart. Her siblings were Albertine, Renee, Paulette and Alfred. Rose Clay, a homemaker, enjoyed music and drama and was an active member of many organizations in Regina, including France Canada and L'Alliance Francaise. She died in Regina on August 5, 1986.

Pierre (Pat) Paul Franklin Clay was born on March 28, 1920. He attended Kitchener School in Regina and graduated from Scott Collegiate in 1938. Clay joined the Canadian Army on September 1, 1939 and served in the United Kingdom and Europe during World War II. On February 2, 1946, he married Elsie May Barr, a nurse from Regina, in South Lancing, England. He returned to Regina in April, 1946 and retired from active service. Clay attended the University of Manitoba, where he obtained a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) Degree in 1950. After graduation, he and Elsie moved to Ottawa, Ontario, where he was employed at the National Research Council as a statistician until his retirement on March 22, 1985. He died in Ottawa on December 23, 2012.

See PA 565 for a complete biographical sketch of Jacqueline Clay Shumiatcher.

Archie Jamieson Family, 1888-

  • PA 427
  • Family
  • 1888-

Archibald (Archie) Jamieson was born in Valleyfield, Quebec on July 8, 1888 to John and Agnes (McFarlane) Jamieson. His family had emigrated from Paisley, Renfrew County, Scotland in 1886 or 1887. Jamieson had five siblings: Agnes, John, Malcolm, William, and Annie.

Jamieson lived in Rhode Island from 1906 to 1910 and studied mechanical engineering at university in Providence. Following graduation, he moved to Pawtucket, Rhode Island and then to Baltimore, Maryland. On September 12, 1912, he married Rosamond Ihley of Milltown, New Jersey. After briefly living in Baltimore, the Jamiesons moved to Toronto, Ontario in 1913. From 1913 to 1918, Jamieson worked for Consolidated Steel Company. The Jamiesons had two children: John (born 1920) and Malcolm (Mack) (born 1922). Rosamond Jamieson died in 1923.

In May 1923, Jamieson moved to Fort Frances, Ontario to be closer to his brother, John. Archie Jamieson remained in the area briefly and worked in the local lumber industry. By 1925, Jamieson had returned to Toronto and taken a position with Central Scientific Company. In 1927, Jamieson attended and graduated from the Ontario College for Technical Teachers in Hamilton, Ontario. He was then employed as a mechanical engineer and foreman at the Victory Gold Mine in Goldboro, Nova Scotia.

On June 26, 1929, Archie Jamieson married Edna Georgina Peitzsche in the Goldboro Baptist Church. They had their first child, William Archibald (Archie Jr.) on January 22, 1933 while in Goldboro. The family remained in Goldboro while Jamieson pursued other career opportunities in the mining industry by first moving to Quebec and then to Lee Lake, Ontario. The family joined him in Lee Lake in June 1934, but when the mine in Lee Lake closed the following year, Edna and Archie Jr. returned to Goldboro and Jamieson went on to Goldfields, Saskatchewan to set up a gold mine (Althona). The family would not join him in Goldfields until 1937. While living in Goldfields, the Jamiesons had two more children: David, born on December 29, 1937, and Bernice, born in 1939. When the Goldfields mine closed in 1939, the family returned to Goldboro. Jamieson then moved to Outpost Island on Great Slave Lake in the North West Territories to rebuild the gold mine there in 1940, but returned to Goldboro in 1941. The Jamiesons' fourth child, Sheila Anne, was born on May 5, 1942 in Amherst, Nova Scotia. In the fall of 1946, the family moved to Walton, Nova Scotia and remained there until Archie Jamieson's death on March 1, 1960. Edna Jamieson died in Halifax, Nova Scotia on May 21, 1998.

David Jamieson, son of Archie and Edna Jamieson, attended high school in Nova Scotia and Mount Allison University in New Brunswick. In 1958, he moved to Tempe, Arizona to study at Arizona State College/University and while there he met and married Carol Warner. David and Carol had two sons: David Jr. (born 1961) and Derek (born 1963). In 1962, the family moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia, where David Jamieson worked for various insurance companies. The family moved to Western Canada in 1970 and settled in Medicine Hat, Alberta in 1980. David and Carol Jamieson divorced in 1982. In 1985, David Jamieson began working in the real estate industry and married Patricia (Pat) Ann Gilroy. The Jamiesons currently (2015) reside near Medicine Hat, Alberta.

Bird, Dick and Ada, 1892-2003

  • PA 17
  • Family
  • 1892-2003

William Henry Richard "Dick" Bird was born in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, England on August 16, 1892. From an early age he developed a keen interest in cinema and still photography. His first cinema film experience occurred in 1905 watching Boer Was footage at the theatre in Leamington. Emigrating at the age of fourteen, Bird came to Vermont to live with an uncle in c.1907. His family later followed, settling in Fort William, Ontario.

Starting his career in Chicago, Illinois, Bird travelled extensively, gaining experience as a freelance cinematographer covering events for various organizations and film companies in the United States, China, Japan, Korea, South America, Mexico, and Canada, shooting newsreels, animated cartoons, travelogues and commercial motion pictures. In 1919, while living in Toronto, Bird was elected first president of the Canadian Professional and Press Photographers Association. Also in 1919, Bird played an instrumental role organizing Local 636 of the Cinematographers and Motion Picture Craftsmen, International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Union.

In 1921 Dick Bird moved with his family to Regina, Saskatchewan to make documentary, educational and industrial films for the Saskatchewan government. He continued to shoot newsreels for Pathescope. He also founded Bird Films Ltd., a photographic shop, in Regina in 1928. During this time his photography often mirrored his achievements in filmmaking. This included flights of the RAF Forestry Air Fire Patrol in northern Saskatchewan, the opening of the Albert Memorial Bridge in Regina in 1930 and the Regina Riot of 1935. He also filmed the opening broadcast of Saskatchewan's first radio station CKCK in 1922, the first drilling for oil and gas in the province, as well as the visits of various dignitaries, including Edward, Prince of Wales, on his 1919 Canadian tour. In 1922 Bird founded the Canadian Cinema Arts Society. He continued to travel through Europe in the 1930s filming newsreels of the Spanish Civil War and Hitler Youth rallies.

By the 1930's, however, the primary focus of Bird's career had shifted to nature photography and conservation. Elected president of the Regina Natural History Society, he actively promoted public interest in wildlife. In 1937 he began a weekly program on CKCK Radio "Camera Trails". He published The Camera Trailer, a newsletter illustrated with his own photographs for distribution to his radio audience. He also started a nature club for children and encouraged nature field trips throughout rural Saskatchewan. Bird also produced commercial films for the Boy Scouts of Canada and the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool.

Soon after coming to work in Canada following the end of the First World War, Dick Bird had met and married Pansy Myrtle Fern Nix of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Actively supporting her husband's career, Pansy Bird managed and operated Bird Films Ltd. while Dick was travelling on film assignments. Dick and Pansy Bird had three children Gordon, Jeanne (Kaad) and Yvonne (Ellis). Their son died as a child and Pansy died in Mexico in 1937.

Ada Gertrude Bovee was born near Avonlea, Saskatchewan on December 21, 1917 to James and Gertrude (Nelson) Bovee. She was the youngest of six children. The Bovees came to homestead in the Avonlea area from Wisconsin in 1906. Trained in business and an amateur ornithologist, Ada also was active in the local Avonlea Sunday School, Mission Band, choirs and the I.O.D.E. She met Dick Bird in the early 1940s when he was invited to show films to her Canadian Girls in Training (CGIT) church group. Soon after Ada began working for Bird Films photographing birds, animals and flowers. During the Second World War Ada and Dick showed films and slides in many rural towns and villages in the province in support of the "Milk for Britain" campaign.

In December 1946 Dick and Ada Bird were married, marking a long personal and business partnership as cinematographers travelling throughout Canada, the United States and the world producing nature films and conducting winter lecture tours. From 1952 to 1955 they shot film footage for Walt Disney Production's True Life Adventure series. Their lecture audience included Harvard, the National Geographic Society, and the Smithsonian Institute. The Audubon Society sponsored many of their tours. The Birds' still photography taken during the period of the 1940's and 1950's is dominated by wildlife, flora, and natural scenery.

In 1960 Dick and Ada Bird retired from eight years of lecture tours to their property at Buena Vista near Regina Beach, which had been in the Bird family since the early 1940s. They continued to show films in Regina public schools to encourage awareness of conservation among school children, and also were guest speakers at various Canadian Clubs in Eastern Canada. In the 1970s Dick began work on his memoirs and on a history of photography, although ill health prevented the completion of this project. Ada worked from 1969 to 1983 with Muir Barber Ltd. in the hardware and gift business. After Dick's death in 1986, Ada moved into Regina. She continued to be active in many senior and church groups.

Throughout his life, Dick Bird received many honours. He was an Associate of the Royal Photographic Society and a Fellow of the Zoological Society of London. In 1950 he was the second Canadian, after Yousuf Karsh, to become a Fellow of the Photographic Society of America. In that year he also became the first life member of the Saskatchewan Natural History Society. In May 1976 Bird received an honourary Doctorate of Laws from the University of Regina. He was also honoured as Saskatchewan's Pioneer Cinematographer at the International Film Festival in Yorkton in 1979.

Bird Films Ltd. was, since its early years, very much a family business, operated by Dick and Pansy Bird, their daughters, and later their daughters' husbands. The business sold cameras, film and accessories and also had a studio and film lab. Dick Bird remained active in Bird Films into the 1960s. Bird Films continues (2005) to operate as a photography business with a third generation of family management.

Dick Bird died on September 27, 1986. Ada Bird died on October 3, 2003 in Regina.

Carl Bernard Johnsen family, 1900-

  • PA 561
  • Family
  • 1900-

Carl Bernard Johnsen was born on April 5, 1900 in St. Paul, Minnesota to Charles Bernhard and Petra Oline Olsen Melby Johansen, both from Norway. The family surname was anglicized after they settled in North America. Carl Johnsen's family consisted of a half-sister, Lillian, two brothers, Hugo and Warren, and two sisters, Clara and Harriet. The Johnsen family moved to Saskatchewan in 1916 and settled on a homestead on the north shore of Echo Lake near Archerwill. In January, 1919, Carl Johnsen filed for a homestead in the Archerwill district and in 1920, he established a beekeeping business. He expanded and operated the business until his retirement in 1967, when he turned over his land and business to his two sons, who continued to operate it until 2005.

Johnsen married Anna Ivadell (Ivy) Walter, daughter of William George Walter and Sarah Elizabeth (Gawley) Walter, on November 19, 1934 in Wadena. Anna Walter had moved to Saskatchewan from Walter's Falls, Ontario with her parents and three brothers (Harvey Royal, John Ernest, and Robert Franklin) in 1917. The Walter family first settled in the Hanley district before moving to the Archerwill district in 1934. Carl and Anna (Ivy) Johnsen had five children: Roy (1938); Charles (1940); Fay (1941); Robert (1944); and Donna (1947).

Carl B. Johnsen died in Tisdale on July 19, 1984. Anna (Ivy) Johnsen died on February 12, 1996. Roy Johnsen died at birth. Fay Johnsen and Donna Johnsen are retired and continue (2016) to reside in Regina. Charles Johnsen is retired and resides on the family farm near Archerwill while Robert Johnsen is retired and lives in Tisdale.

Copithorne, Francis C., 1903-1962

  • PA 56
  • Family
  • 1903-1962

Born in County Cork, Ireland in 1903, Frank Copithorne received his education in Waterford and Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. He became a resident of Canada in 1926. While living in Vancouver, British Columbia, he joined Price, Waterhouse and Company. Later, Copithorne became control manager and general auditor of B.C. Electric and associated companies including B.C. Motor Transportation Limited. He held this position for eight years before moving to Saskatchewan in 1949. Until 1953, Copithorne was comptroller for the Saskatchewan Power Corporation, a position from which he resigned to become the general manager of the Saskatchewan Transportation Company. In 1956, he returned to the Saskatchewan Power Corporation as assistant general manager in charge of administration. He resigned his position two years later and returned to Vancouver. He and his wife, Amy, had two children, Robert and Judith. At the time of his accidental death in 1962, he was working as a chartered accountant.

While in Regina, Copithorne served as chairman and member of the Saskatchewan Industrial Development Fund Committee and the Provincial Natural Gas Committee. He was a governor of the Regina Orchestral Society and a member of both the Regina and Vancouver Art Gallery Associations.

Easton, Larry and Dorothy, 1938-

  • PA 508
  • Family
  • 1938-

Lawrence Francis (Larry) Easton was born on the family farm near Wawota, Saskatchewan, on August 24, 1938, to Francis Russell and Leah Isabel (Griffin) Easton. He received his early education at Wawota, graduating from Wawota High School in 1958. He later attended the School of Agriculture, University of Saskatchewan (1958-1960) and completed the Electronics Engineering Technologist course at Saskatchewan Technical Institute, Moose Jaw, in 1964. He was employed as an engineering manager with SaskTel in Regina until his retirement in 1997.

Dorothy May Bird was born at Wawota on May 3, 1941, to Francis Carlton and Mable Irene (Myers) Bird. She received her early education in Wawota and later attended Success Business College in Regina. She was employed by SaskTel, the Salvation Army, the federal government, and the provincial Department of Labour and Employment, Apprenticeship and Trade Certification. Dorothy Bird married Larry Easton on April 22, 1961 in Wawota. Together, they have two children: Mark and Michelle.

Since the 1970s, Larry Easton has been an active photographer. He has been a member of the Regina Photo Club for thirty years and in that time has held various positions on its executive. He is the only member of the Club to receive its Prestige Award for photographic achievement. Easton is also a member of the Prairie Region of Photographic Arts, and is a director for the prairies on the Canadian Association for Photographic Art. He has received numerous competition awards and recognitions for his photographic works. As well, his works have appeared in Prairies North and West World magazines, in projects for Saskatchewan Tourism and the Regina Chamber of Commerce, and in educational books.

Larry and Dorothy Easton collaborated to provide the photographic works for the 2008 publication, Legacy of Stone: Saskatchewan's Stone Buildings, written by Margaret Hryniuk and Frank Korvemaker. The publication received the Saskatchewan Book of the Year award from the Saskatchewan Book Awards in 2009.

Larry and Dorothy Easton currently (2011) reside in Regina.

Elwood Roberts Family, 1886-

  • PA 509
  • Family
  • 1886-

Elwood Roberts was born in Drayton, Ontario, in 1886 to David and Lydia (Reichert) Roberts. He married Bertha Louise H. Hopkins, daughter of Albert and Mary Ann (Sootheran) Hopkins, on April 29, 1907, in Victoria County, Ontario. They relocated to Cupar, Saskatchewan, ca. 1909 where Elwood's brother Norman (born in 1882) was manager of the Cupar branch of the A.E. Beach Co. Ltd. store. In 1909, Elwood and Norman Roberts purchased the A.E. Beach Co. Ltd. store in Cupar and established Roberts Bros., a general store under the corporate brand of The Big Red Store. In the years following, Norman Roberts left the business and relocated to Toronto, Ontario. He died there on October 2, 1934. Elwood Roberts continued as proprietor of the Roberts Bros. store until October 1945 when he sold the business and he and Bertha relocated to Osoyoos, British Columbia. He died at Oliver, British Columbia, on March 17, 1946. Bertha Roberts died in 1973.

Elwood and Bertha Roberts had one son, Wayne Eugene, who was born in Cupar on March 22, 1910. He married Bernice Abel, daughter of Walter and Annie (Close) Abel, on March 2, 1937, in Regina. Wayne and Bernice Roberts relocated from Cupar to Regina ca. 1940, and then to British Columbia in 1944. They had two sons: James Alan Yardley and Gerald Wayne. Wayne Roberts died in Osoyoos, British Columbia, on November 1, 1953. Bernice Roberts died in British Columbia in 1993.

Gerald Wayne Roberts was born on February 9, 1944, in Regina to Wayne and Bernice Roberts. Soon after his birth, the family relocated to British Columbia. Roberts was educated there and earned a Bachelor's degree in Anthropology. He was a professional archeologist and was involved in various archeological salvage projects throughout British Columbia. Roberts married Gisela Greschner on August 2, 1969. They have one daughter, Sharon. Currently, (2011) Gerald Roberts is retired and resides in Osoyoos.

Results 1 to 10 of 53