Showing 5 results

Authority record
Corporate body Winnipeg (Man.)


  • Corporate body
  • 1960-1973

In 1960, Ralph S. Misener, a Winnipeg shipping executive that was working on behalf of a company to be incorporated (Ralph S. Misener & Associates), received federal cabinet approval to bring a private television station to Winnipeg. Misener's associates included Lloyd Moffat, president of CKY Radio; T.O. Peterson, president of Investors' Syndicate of Canada Ltd. and previously had an interest in CFOB Radio in Fort Frances; Roland Couture, managing director of CKSB Radio St. Boniface; Walter E. Kroecker, president of CFAM Radio in Altona; and engineering consultant, Nick Pappas of N.J. Pappas & Associates of Montreal. The CJAY-TV call letters were approved by the Department of Transport and the new station was granted permission to broadcast over channel 7. The station hoped to be on the air November 1 with studios and offices to be located in a new building at the Polo Park Shopping Centre, south of the Winnipeg Arena. The building would feature over 60,000 square feet of floor space, two major studios of about 52 x 72 feet each and a smaller production studio of about 20 x 32 feet, with the expectation that underground cables would run to the arena so as to offer direct transmission of events.

At the inaugural meeting of Channel Seven Television Ltd., the following directors were elected: Ralph S. Misener, Lloyd E. Moffat, T.O. Peterson, Campbell Haig, Q.C., Walter E. Kroeker and Roland G. Couture. Misener was president, Moffat was VP, Peterson was treasurer, Haig was secretary and Jack M. Davidson was appointed general manager.. Davidson announced that A.G. Cobb (previously of CKWS Radio-TV in Kingston) would be CJAY's technical director, Stewart MacPherson program director, and Jerry Johnson (from CKBI-TV Prince Albert) general sales manager. This was followed by the hiring of Barry Gordon as production supervisor, Joe Gibson producer-director, Dick Seaborn musical director, Don McLean farm service director, Ed McCrea sales executive, Don Nairn sales co-ordinator, Barry Nicholls public service director, and Jack Wells was named sports commentator (who would would continue his newspaper work and sports commentating for CKY Radio)..

A short delay, meant that CJAY-TV signed on the air on November 12 1960 at 5:00 p.m with an hour-long program highlighting the official opening of CJAY-TV. The Honorable Erick F. Willis, lieutenant-governor of Manitoba was among the approximately 700 official guests on hand for the opening. On the first day CJAY boasted some 130 employees, while the building had large studios (each 50 x 70 feet), four control rooms, prop storage area, videotape centre and eight cameras.

On October 1, 1961 CJAY-TV joined the CTV network.

In 1973, the call letters of the station were changed to CKY-TV.

Searl & Co. (firm)

  • Corporate body
  • 1883-1885

Founded in Winnipeg in June 1883 by George W. Searl.