Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade
A'Court, Annie Holmes : SW 36-33-06-W3
Designação geral do material
- Documento textual
Título e menções de responsabilidade
Notas ao título
Nível de descrição
Código de referência
Zona de edição
Menção de edição
Menção de responsabilidade da edição
Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais
Menção da escala (cartográfica)
Menção da projecção (cartográfica)
Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)
Menção da escala (arquitectura)
Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)
Zona de datas de criação
- Canada. Dept. of the Interior
- Canada. Lands Patent Branch
- Canada. Office of the Registrar General of Canada
- Canada. Dept. of Northern Affairs and National Resources
- Saskatchewan. Lands Branch
Zona de descrição física
ca. 0.002m of textual records
Zona dos editores das publicações
Título próprio do recurso continuado
Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor
Outra informação do título das publicações do editor
Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo
Numeração das publicações do editor
Nota sobre as publicações do editor
Zona da descrição do arquivo
Nome do produtor
Nome do produtor
The Lands Patent Branch was originally established in 1881 to maintain the records produced in the land patenting process and to process land applications from institutions. It was originally administered from a central office in Ottawa, but an office was later opened in Winnipeg and local field staff assumed many of the lands patent duties. In 1883, the Lands Patent Branch took over the full functions of a land registry office in relation to federally-controlled western lands. Previously, many of these duties had been administered by the Office of the Registrar General of Canada, part of the Department of the Secretary of State of Canada. In 1928, the name of the agency was changed to Lands Patent Division. In 1930, the Lands Patent Division was dissolved when the provinces took over the responsibility for all unconveyed lands.
Nome do produtor
The Registrar General was established in 1868 under the Department of the Secretary of State of Canada, which was the precursor to the federal Department of the Interior. It kept the Great Seal of Canada, the Privy Seal of the Governor General, the Seal of the Administrator of Canada, and the Seal of the Registrar General of Canada, and registered all documents that might require the Great Seal or federal Crown registration. Until 1881 the Registrar General's duties included the maintenance of records produced in the land patenting process and the processing of land applications from institutions. This duty was then handed to the Department of the Interior's Lands Patent Branch. In 1883 all lands patent duties that fell under the auspices of the Dominion Lands Act (1872) were transferred from the Registrar General to the Lands Patent Branch. In 1966 the Registrar General became the Department of the Registrar General, a short-lived autonomous government department.
Nome do produtor
Nome do produtor
From 1930 to 1947 the Lands Branch, and grant and lease functions, were part of the Department of Natural Resources (later the Department of Natural Resources and Industrial Development.) The initial legislation (The Provincial Lands Act, 1931 and The Land Utilization Act, 1935) and the legacy of the Federal Department of the Interior, which previously held jurisdiction over these responsibilities, provided the framework for Crown Land lease and sale accounting and administration. While the Lands Branch was part of the Department of Natural Resources, the Provincial Lands Division and then (in 1932) the Lands Patent Division carried out the grants and transfer of land. This included handling enquiries, application forms, payments, agreements and recording the disposition of land.
In 1948, control of the Lands Branch was transferred to the Department of Agriculture, which subsequently changed the responsibility for many of the functions from the Land Utilization Division to the Inspection Services Division. During the 1960s, The Agriculture Rehabilitation and Development Act resulted in many of the grants and leases only being permitted for projects related to the development and conservation of water supplies, soil improvement, and /or agricultural efficiency.
In 1975, the Lands Disposition and Records Division of the Lands Branch became responsible for land grants and transfers - by advertising land for lease/sale, by preparing land transfers, and by maintaining the records of lands. In 1984-1985, a reorganization of the Lands Branch saw many of these functions split between the Field Operations and Support Services divisions.
The transfer of the Lands Branch back to the Department of Agriculture and Food in 1993 resulted in another reorganization, splitting the control of leases and sales amongst geographically oriented divisions (i.e. northwest, south). In 1993-1994 the Branch operated under the Financial Support and Program Management Division as part of the Lands and Regulatory Management Branch. This Branch had a broader mandate, including livestock health and operations. With the abolishment of the Crow's Nest Pass annual railways subsidy in February 1995, Lands Branch assumed responsibility for management of the provincial share of the federal payout and amended rental rates on Crown agricultural leases.
In 1996, the splitting of the Lands and Regulatory Management Branch into three branches (Livestock and Veterinary Operations, Pasture, and Lands) resulted in Lands Branch becoming part of the Program and Services Division, where it remained until April 2005. This change marked the first time that the Lands Branch did not hold responsibility for the administration of provincial pastures and the Community Pastures Program. The responsibility was returned to the Branch in 2001 with the amalgamation of Pastures and Lands Branches.
In 2000, the stated mandate of Lands Branch was "to promote the sustainable and integrated use of Crown land while providing opportunities for diversification and economic growth." Between April 2002 and May 2004 the Department operated as the Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Revitalization. Currently (2011) Lands Branch resides in the Ministry of Agriculture. While the Branch has experienced changes in its structure and in policy and program development, the basic function regarding the administration, sale and lease of Crown lands has not substantially altered throughout its history.
Âmbito e conteúdo
This File part consists of federal Department of the Interior records related to homestead applications, land grants (letters patent), and/or land use enquiries that are associated with the person or organization (e.g. grantee, patentee) and the land location specified in the title of the record description.
Zona das notas
Records are in good physical condition.
Fonte imediata de aquisição
Idioma do material
Script do material
Localização de originais
Disponibilidade de outros formatos
Scanned copies of the original records in this file are available. SASK0020D_016-SaskatchewanHomesteadRecords-Media026_M_00099 to 00108 [Database number: 4]
Restrições de acesso
Access restriction may apply to these records. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.
Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação
Use, publication and/or reproduction of records are subject to terms and conditions of the Copyright Act.
To consult the records, visit or contact the Saskatoon office.
Instrumentos de descrição
Instrumento de pesquisa transferido
Legal Representative of McCallum, Peter deceased.
Textual records - GSU number: SASK0020D_016-SaskatchewanHomesteadRecords-Media026_M_00099 to SASK0020D_016-SaskatchewanHomesteadRecords-Media026_M_00108 [Database number: 4]
Zona do número normalizado
Pontos de acesso
Pontos de acesso - Nomes
Pontos de acesso de género
Zona do controlo
Descrição do identificador do registo
Identificador da instituição
Regras ou convenções
Saskatchewan Archives. Archival Description Manual 2004.
Nível de detalhe
Idioma da descrição
Script da descrição